SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Acoustic Insulation for engine room? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/85326-acoustic-insulation-engine-room.html)

T37Chef 03-22-2012 11:09 PM

Acoustic Insulation for engine room?

Which would you recommend for an engine room application? I have a piece of Vinyl/Foam with Mylar Face with PSA from Sundown that I like and was going to order it but thought I would pose the question to the forum first :)
Soundown - Barrier Acoustic Insulation, Carpet Underlay, Acoustic Absorption Materials

I am probably going to use something 1" or less thick, its a tight space.

Thoughts...thanks

Flybyknight 03-22-2012 11:50 PM

Re: Acoustic Insulation for engine room?

Did a study on this subject several years ago, and what I found was the most effective sound deadening composite is lead foil sandwiched between 1 inch (or more) of foam and secured with a pressure sensitive adhesive.
Yes, psa's have sound deadening qualities too.
Hope this helps.

Dick

SloopJonB 03-23-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybyknight (Post 849497)
Did a study on this subject several years ago, and what I found was the most effective sound deadening composite is lead foil sandwiched between 1 inch (or more) of foam and secured with a pressure sensitive adhesive.
Yes, psa's have sound deadening qualities too.
Hope this helps. Dick

Flyby, Is that lead foil in the middle between TWO layers of foam? Can you make this up yourself in the engine room or does it have to be pre-manufactured sheet goods?

CapnBones 03-23-2012 08:12 AM

My plan was to use Dynamat. You can do a google search to find it. It is a tad on the pricy side, but I have seen very good results and it is highly regarded in the automotive community for its sounds dampening properties. Also it is not very thick so you surrender less space to it.

I plan to insulate my engine room/compartment with it this season. Has anyone here used it on a boat?

Allanbc 03-23-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnBones (Post 849573)
My plan was to use Dynamat. You can do a google search to find it. It is a tad on the pricy side, but I have seen very good results and it is highly regarded in the automotive community for its sounds dampening properties. Also it is not very thick so you surrender less space to it.

I plan to insulate my engine room/compartment with it this season. Has anyone here used it on a boat?

I bought Dynamat to do my engine compartment last year but never got to it. I have it on my schedule this year. I like the thinness of it because my engine compartment is really tight already. I'm thinking of adding more to the outside of the engine compartment if I'm not satisfied. Adding an inch all around inside my engine compartment is just not practical.

jrd22 03-23-2012 11:20 AM

I've used Barrier 104 from Hamilton Jet with good success. They have some good information available on sound insulation at the bottom of the page.
Link here

Noise & Vibration Control Products

Faster 03-23-2012 11:32 AM

We've used the foam/lead/foil panels with good results, but the best sound deadening we ever did (on a previous boat) was an old dentist X-ray apron draped over the block.

btw a tremendous amount of noise reduction can be achieved by isolating and eliminating vibration of locker doors, companionway steps, stove racks etc. Those kinds of rattles contribute disproportionately to the overall noise while motoring...

chef2sail 03-23-2012 08:34 PM

Check these out from Sailors Solutions. I installed 2 years ago with good results. very very easy to install

http://sailorssolutions.com/index.as...ategory=Engine Room

LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

Dave

jsaronson 03-23-2012 09:11 PM

Acoustic Insulation for engine room?

Jamestown Distributors sells a kit. Haven't tried it.

deniseO30 03-23-2012 11:27 PM

I know it's a no no.. but fiberglass does such a great job of killing noise. I have lots of FG ductboard left over from various installations over the years. I may just use some it to soak up the sound and just remove them if mold starts growing. inside the Lazrette lid and the engine front panel in the galley which are parts of the engine compartment the resonate the most.

ducks out of sight and hides behind sofa