SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Acoustic Insulation for engine room?

15K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Did a study on this subject several years ago, and what I found was the most effective sound deadening composite is lead foil sandwiched between 1 inch (or more) of foam and secured with a pressure sensitive adhesive.
Yes, psa's have sound deadening qualities too.
Hope this helps. Dick
Flyby, Is that lead foil in the middle between TWO layers of foam? Can you make this up yourself in the engine room or does it have to be pre-manufactured sheet goods?

#4 ·
My plan was to use Dynamat. You can do a google search to find it. It is a tad on the pricy side, but I have seen very good results and it is highly regarded in the automotive community for its sounds dampening properties. Also it is not very thick so you surrender less space to it.

I plan to insulate my engine room/compartment with it this season. Has anyone here used it on a boat?

#5 ·
My plan was to use Dynamat. You can do a google search to find it. It is a tad on the pricy side, but I have seen very good results and it is highly regarded in the automotive community for its sounds dampening properties. Also it is not very thick so you surrender less space to it.

I plan to insulate my engine room/compartment with it this season. Has anyone here used it on a boat?
I bought Dynamat to do my engine compartment last year but never got to it. I have it on my schedule this year. I like the thinness of it because my engine compartment is really tight already. I'm thinking of adding more to the outside of the engine compartment if I'm not satisfied. Adding an inch all around inside my engine compartment is just not practical.

#7 ·
We've used the foam/lead/foil panels with good results, but the best sound deadening we ever did (on a previous boat) was an old dentist X-ray apron draped over the block.

btw a tremendous amount of noise reduction can be achieved by isolating and eliminating vibration of locker doors, companionway steps, stove racks etc. Those kinds of rattles contribute disproportionately to the overall noise while motoring...

Reactions: T37Chef
#10 ·
I know it's a no no.. but fiberglass does such a great job of killing noise. I have lots of FG ductboard left over from various installations over the years. I may just use some it to soak up the sound and just remove them if mold starts growing. inside the Lazrette lid and the engine front panel in the galley which are parts of the engine compartment the resonate the most.

ducks out of sight and hides behind sofa

#13 ·
I used to do a lot of audio recording, and while I never got too far into sound treatment, I was always told that the thing that stops sound is mass. I'm not surprised that some of the other people in this thread had the best luck with lead. A lot of music studios and things use soft sound treatments, like foam, fluffy fiberglass or rigid compressed fiberglass panels, but they're doing that more to "tune" the room by lessening echo and preventing the buildup of certain frequencies when instruments are being played and recorded in there, not to sound-proof the room. Although every little bit helps, going with something less dense will likely block proportionately less sound. At least theoretically.

#19 ·
A friend in a sound lab, told me that when using lead on foam, the foam makes no difference whatever. It's the lead doing the sound deadening.
Carpet is just as effective as fibreglass, just a lot tougher, and easier to deal with.
I think the foam acts as an air space, so it in it's self does not stop much sound, but it creates an airspace.

By the way Dynamat is really just asphalt, so there are adhesive roofing materials that work the same, again really just the mass of the heavy coating. The stuff does smell pretty bad though. I have used it successfully in car installations.

#16 ·
A friend in a sound lab, told me that when using lead on foam, the foam makes no difference whatever. It's the lead doing the sound deadening.
Carpet is just as effective as fibreglass, just a lot tougher, and easier to deal with.

#18 ·
Acoustic Insulation sounds great but it is expensive. I am thinking of a free solution for me.I have a lot 1" closed cell foam sheets (4x8)lying around and was thinking about lineing my engine compartment with this (this is fire resistant CSA compliant insulating material.) I know it probably won't work as well but would it help reduce the noise coming out of my engine room. The motor (yanmar ysm 12)is out right now for a rebuild so I could line the whole area and it won't cost anything but a little time.

#20 ·
Vacuum passes neither heat nor sound.
On the other hand you can not find it in convenient easy to install panels unless you work for NASA or some other organization that doesn't have to count (pinch) pennies.

Until then us common folk are best off with one of few solutions, add mass (lead) to absorb the sound or add vibration dampening to lessen the noise and of course to add baffling - i.e. foam or sound reflective surfaces (the paint on stuff, and perhaps carpet).

If you "really" want to insulate for sound - get a roll of sheet lead and apply your own lead sheet (use a PSA) to your existing walls - after all lead is soft and bendable and cuts easy.
Lead Sheet from Rotometals

Don't make your engine compartment so well 'sound' sealed that it starves for air.

Of course racer's hate mass, but how many of them care how loud the engine is?

#21 ·
Of course the problem with sheet lead is it still costs money. My reason for thinking of using Closed cell foam is that I already have it in 4x8 sheets, both 1" and 2". At the same time if it won't make any difference I won't waste my time but it seems to make sence that it would be better than nothing.

#22 ·
So, would something like this have a max. temp. that's too low?
McMaster-Carr

At the recommendation of some of the guys on another forum I used to frequent, I used that on a car to help acoustically insulate the passenger compartment. I realize the inside of an inboard's engine compartment will likely get warmer than my old car, but I can't help but wonder if this might not help. I mean, the inside of the engine compartment is largely made of wood; what's the max. temp. there?

Just a thought...

#23 · (Edited)
I am in the same situation, I am in the middle of a repowering project and asked the forum for input on lining the inside of my engine compartment to reduce the engine sound.
Here is a link to the thread http://http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel-engine-forum/97100-paint.html

I am going to use 1 inch sound absorbing foam I purchased form McMaster Carr. I can not give good reference as to how good it works because I never heard the engine run before I bought the boat. All I can compare it to is how loud is with the engine compartment door open or closed and how loud the engines sound on similar boats. just my .02:)

The compartment was originally lined with foam that has deteriorated over the 30 years.

#24 ·
voyager, my understanding is that the closed cell foam, if it is high density, will stop high frequency noise, much as ear stopples will. If you've ever used these you may note the effectiveness differs greatly from one brand (foam type) to another.

If you want to stop low frequency noise, you do that by converting the energy into heat, and that requires mass. That's what lead sheeting is for. The high mass of lead absorbs large amounts of vibrational (acoustic) energy and converts it into heat. You can't do that with anything unless it is DENSE which is why they still use lead.

Physics rules, there's no other magic solution. There are some high density plastics like "sorbothane" and others but you will find them as pricey as lead. Bottom line, you can pay the piper, or listen to the the pipes.

Or get some of those expensive Bose active headphones.

#25 ·
I've seen a commercial lead/foam sheet that has a fairly dense black "polyfoam" type of foam with a sheet of lead sandwiched to it and a foil backing on the lead side. How does the group think this might work if you first lined your engine compartment with sheet lead then attached the foam product with the lead side "in" - this way you'd have the foam creating the dead air space between two skins of sheet lead.

It would cost several $hundred but the theory seems to fit well with the comments in this thread.

#26 ·
Sounds like a trade off and a function of how much money do you want to spend, although I have noticed that my sound-proofing is entirely efficient when I shut off the motor.:cool:

#29 ·
I installed soundown (salem ma) 25 yrs ago around the engine box on my Apache 37 when I replaced the gas engine with a Volvo diesel (much louder). Made huge difference...can hardly hear the engine running. The only disadvantage is the weight of the wall that has to be occasionally removed for winterization. But, a great solution. Hope that helps. Soundown - peace and quiet for architectural, marine, & industrial applications

Moe

#31 · (Edited)
Keep in mind, these photos were taken before I finished the installation, I had not finished taping and sealing all the areas, which I Have done now. I did not close the engine in, I left the aft section open for good air circulation, combined with a new bilge blower and engine I believe it will be much cooler and quieter...or so I hope. I painted everything while I was at it, why not :)

Hopefully I will be launching soon, and will post if it made any significant reduction in noise and/or heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.