Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Easiest way to repaint the deck?

Ok. So I have decided to keep the boat for a few years so I will put some. Only into it. New sails, reprint the deck and some woodwork and trim. Whats the easiest way to paint the deck? It's an off white now and I want to go with a bright white. There are a few cracks in the cockpit that I can fill in but oth than that it's just a paint. Ideas of how much I will cost and can it be done in the water? Or will it have to be pulled?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NewportNewbie; 03-24-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
re: Easiest way to repaint the deck?

Paint brush & a small roller -Alot of prep!. Could be done in water depends on marina.Costs under $100. ..........Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 03-24-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Whats the easiest way to paint the deck?"

Hoist a big plastic curtain around the boat, haul a couple of paint grenades halfway up the mast, one forward, one aft side. Set off the grenades, don't walk on the deck until the new paint has dried.

What, you've never used a paint grenade? (G)

If you REALLY want to do it right, and never regret the way you've done it, painting a deck means removing every last piece of hardware because no matter how carefully you mask around them--you'll see masking lines afterwards. If you can live with that, a good masking job still takes a very long time.

Also be aware that regular masking tape binds up to things really nasty after a few days, the blue stuff takes a bit longer, and there's special silver tape from 3M that won't stick even if it is in the hot sun for 30 days.

No matter which way you choose--the prep is the key. Scrub the deck, clean it, make sure all the cracks dry out. If you remove hardware, that's also the time to check rebedding on every piece which again makes the job longer but also makes sure there are no leaks.

Shortcuts? Yeah, the paint grenades. (G)
Old 03-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Easiest way to repaint the deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Ok. So I have decided to keep the boat for a few years so I will put some. Only into it. New sails, reprint the deck and some woodwork and trim. Whats the easiest way to paint the deck? It's an off white now and I want to go with a bright white. There are a few cracks in the cockpit that I can fill in but oth than that it's just a paint. Ideas of how much I will cost and can it be done in the water? Or will it have to be pulled?
If you only want to repaint the non-skid panels it can be done in the water. Non-skid can be painted with little or no sanding beforehand - a very thorough and coarse scrubbing is often enough prep. If you want to re-do the whole deck it can't, not in Cali - think about the sanding dust. They'd lock you up for life, after bankrupting you with fines.

Hello has it right - remove the hardware. That will give you a MUCH more professional job as well as the chance to review how well it is mounted - are the holes sealed with epoxy etc.? You can also ensure everything is polished up and resealed properly when it goes back down.

I'd think VERY carefully about using a bright, glossy white on the smooth areas - the glare can be very intense, especially in SoCal. Don't forget that paint is more reflective than gelcoat, especially old, oxidized gelcoat. I'd be inclined to use a slightly grey/white. C&C used it with dark blue and also red hulls and it looked VERY good. For the non skid, with a blue hull I'd advise pale grey for the non-skid. I used Sikkens anti slip deck paint a couple of times and recommend it highly. It goes on thin and won't fill up the non-skid pattern. I used a mix of four parts white to one "battleship" grey - the typical shade of grey in non-skid paints. It came out very well - hardly noticeable as a different shade in the sun but it cut the glare WAY down. Didn't show dirt as much as white either. If you don't like grey, even when very pale, I'd use the same mix with buff. Either one will minimize glare and dazzle compared to white.

Use "Fine Line" tape to outline your masked areas and then mask onto it with blue longlife tape. The "Fine Line" gives you just that - a very sharp tape line with no bleed.

If you are redoing the gloss areas, I'd do the prep and pay a pro to spray the top coat (unless you can use a gun). It makes a big difference over roll & tip and won't cost that much since they are only shooting the paint. Find a car painter who will do it on the side for cash on a weekend.

DIY, using good materials, I'd estimate it will cost in the vicinity of $1K - a pro to shoot the gloss will be extra. You'll need $1 - $200 for non-skid paint, $2 - $300 for the gloss paint, $100 for sandpaper, $100 for masking tape and $1 - $200 for incidentals (masking paper if you are spraying etc.)

Considering where you live, I'd either do it right away or wait until next winter/spring.

First though, pick up a book on the subject - The Hinckley Guide To Yacht Care is the best IMHO, but Casey's is very good as well. The Hinckley book shows you what the best is and how it's achieved. It's worth it just for the pictures of what we mere mortals will never achieve or be able to afford.

Finally, it's a fairly big job but not difficult or requiring special skills (other than spraying). It is also extremely satisfying when done - you can make your boat look a lot better than new if you take your time and are thorough about your prep work.

Good luck and enjoy.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 03-24-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

If you REALLY don't want to slip, take a look at Kiwi Deks. It's not as pretty as other anti-slip methods but is tough and will keep feet from slipping even on rounded corners. (It will also give you a heavy-duty rug rash if you fall on it.) I put it on three years ago and it's holding up well even up by the anchor/chain.
Old 03-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
If you REALLY don't want to slip, take a look at Kiwi Deks. It's not as pretty as other anti-slip methods but is tough and will keep feet from slipping even on rounded corners. (It will also give you a heavy-duty rug rash if you fall on it.) I put it on three years ago and it's holding up well even up by the anchor/chain.
That's why I like the Sikkens product so much - goes on as easily as any paint you ever used, it doesn't fill up moulded non-skid patterns, the abrasive in it is extremely fine so it doesn't tear things up - you can kneel on it with bare knees, it grips as well as or better than the coarse non-skids - I never slipped once on it, it holds up (9 years on my last boat) and it doesn't trap dirt. It also looks a lot better than the thick, globby non-skids IMHO. The attached pictures were taken when it was several years old - that's a 3 to 1 mix of white & grey

It's not the easiest stuff to find in my experience but it's worth tracking down - try it and you'll be hooked.
Attached Thumbnails
Easiest way to repaint the deck?-deck-3-.jpg   Easiest way to repaint the deck?-deck-4-.jpg  
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-24-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Re: Easiest way to repaint the deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Bright white as a deck color is not a very good idea because the glare in bright sunshine will wear you down.
My deck was re-painted medium gray, and I now wish I had chosen a darker gray.

Dick
Old 03-24-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

BTDT.

1. Remove and label all fittings and hardware that can be removed. Photograph everything before you start.

2. Scrub clean the area to be painted- the cleaner the surface the longer your sandpaper lasts and the less work you have to do.

3. Sand- You don't have to go crazy, but you do have to de-glaze the whole deck to give the surface some "ttoth" for the new paint to grip.

4. Clean- Paint won't stick to dust, dirt, crap, etc.

5. Mask off hardware that can't be removed.

6. Fill and fair any imperfections, or some of them, or most of them, depending upon your limit of perfectionism. Then raise the bar and do it all- if you don't, you will always notice that one spot you missed, overlooked or just ignored.

7. Clean again.

8. Mask off non-skid.

9. Wiht a roller and foam brush paint the non-skid with your deck paint of choice with intergrip added as per instructions. yeah, you could use kiwigrip or sand or whatever magic treatment is the flavour of the week- intergrip is $12 or so a can and is added to the paint you already have bought to paint the rest of the deck, so no compatibility issues, no extra steps, no additional prep.

10. CAREFULLY pull off masking tape surrounding non-skid before it dries. Paint deck and if desired paint another coat over non-skid zones to tone down the grittiness of intergrip.

11. Unmask hardware and reinstall removed fittings.

12. Sail.

A gallon of paint will be plenty, (A gallon of white paint painted the topsides of a 25' wooden cruiser and the deck of Whiskeyjack), two rolls of tape will do, 2-4 rollers and a grip of foam brushes, get a box of Norton 3X sandpaper, build yourself a low-buck sandpaper cutter, use appropriate reduceds and thinners for clean up, pitch rollers and brushes rather than cleaning them, and you can have it done in a LONG hard weekend of work, for under $500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

I love Kiwi Grip for the non skid - it's one of the easiest and best looking projects we did on the boat. It goes on so easy, and you can really control the texture very well.

Nice write up btw Bl.
Old 03-25-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Blj, were you happy with the masked fittings in your photo? I've read that it would never be quite right, but for my situation (just bought solid but dirty old boat) I think the benefits of a quick DIY paint job would be a vast improvement over the current state. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Edit: I should add that by "quick," I mean the best possible paint job that I have the time and money for. I am actually a perfectionist when it comes to painting, but I have to be realistic about the time I have available to devote to this particular paint job, and a top-notch professional job would probably cost as much as I paid for the boat.

Last edited by scratchee; 03-25-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.