Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Beta Marine - New Hybrid System!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
When I said efficient, I was referring to fuel consumption only, I agree that it is much efficient in terms of cost and maintenance to only run one engine. I still wonder why anyone would choose this option over a very large alternator if the point were only to produce electrical power. ....
Space or the lack of it? A large alternator needs a lot of space (big boat) not to mention that it is more expensive than this option.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2012

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road

It would seem that someone who wanted a generator on their boat could no doubt spend a huge chunk of change and get their propulsion AND their generator in one package. I have no idea what the costs are for this Beta Marine Hybrid, so who knows, maybe it might even be cheaper than a new generator and and new engine. If one had a rather large bank of batteries, it would be cool to just run the electric for those times when the diesel would only be on for a short period. Short on and off use is not in a diesel's best interest.
Old 04-02-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPirate View Post
It would seem that someone who wanted a generator on their boat could no doubt spend a huge chunk of change and get their propulsion AND their generator in one package. I have no idea what the costs are for this Beta Marine Hybrid, so who knows, maybe it might even be cheaper than a new generator and and new engine. If one had a rather large bank of batteries, it would be cool to just run the electric for those times when the diesel would only be on for a short period. Short on and off use is not in a diesel's best interest.
I called the Beta rep and chatted with him for a bit. Their engines are in the same price range as Westerbeke, Yanmar etc for a new engine. He told me that the hybird option adds 8-9K to the price. But that includes a separate clutch for the shaft, and electronic charging systems, and a smart circuit that cuts out the generating function when you push the engine near max HP thus freeing up the last 7-8HP for the boat. So, it's about the cost of a generator, without all the extra space, extra maintenance and on the plus side you have the electric propulsion.

The price is acutally WAY less than I thought it would be. I've been following electric boat motors for years and many are more expensive. One motor that I liked that is also 10KW (same size as this system) is $10,000 for just the motor, without any of the fancy generating or redundancy aspects. Other, cheaper and lower quality systems that would equal 10KW cost around 8K from what I've seen.

A really good price for what you get if you ask me, but it's still more coin than I have laying around....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough

MedSailor :

I called the Beta rep and chatted with him for a bit. Their engines are in the same price range as Westerbeke, Yanmar etc for a new engine. He told me that the hybird option adds 8-9K to the price. But that includes a separate clutch for the shaft, and electronic charging systems, and a smart circuit that cuts out the generating function when you push the engine near max HP thus freeing up the last 7-8HP for the boat. So, it's about the cost of a generator, without all the extra space, extra maintenance and on the plus side you have the electric propulsion.

Adds $9k to the price?????? That's £6,000. Yeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
I can have another engine for that.
Old 04-02-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Cost Cost...

Beta gave me a price quote for a 38 of $12,233 (minus a 15% discoount) and an additional $11,600 to add the hybrid system.

That's a lot of $$, but I would still consider it. I see so many benefits to the system for our boat and how we use it.

It makes for a good debate...but at the end of the day its a personal choice

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-02-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
MedSailor :

Adds $9k to the price?????? That's £6,000. Yeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
I can have another engine for that.
Probably but you cannot have an engine and a medium sized alternator installed by that extra 8/9K USD (the installation is expensive and imlpies more through the hull holes.

A Panda 5.5Kw generator costs almost 12K euros plus 23% VAT, no installation comprised on the price. We are talking only about the generator not about the other electronic stuff you would have to buy separately.

Find some detailed information on the Beta system:

http://www.hybrid-marine.co.uk/resou...ybrid-rev8.pdf

Seagoing Hybrids - Hybrid Electric Marine Propulsion

http://www.hybrid-marine.co.uk/resou...e+retrofit.pdf

Downloads - Hybrid Electric Marine Propulsion

Regards

Paulo
T37Chef likes this.
Old 04-02-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I also talked with the designer of the electric motor via email. Very pleasant to deal with and very responsive. I would deal with his business in a heartbeat (if I had the coin). Here are the prices for the system as an add on to a beta or any engine of your choice. If you have an existing engine and transmission and can have a bracket fabricated you can save a bundle over the beta pricing.

Still looks cheaper than a separate 5kw generator AND you get a silent, redundant, second method of propulsion.

MedSailor

PRICES ARE IN POUND STERLING:

Section 1 Hybrid Systems and components
EX VAT
HEMP1 Retrofit Parallel hybrid system, 10 kW electric drive, 5kW generation

Bkt-150 Mounting brackets based on a using a PRM 150 gear box

PRM-150 PRM hydraulic gear box, ratios available 1.53:1, 2.09:1, 2.83:1

Oil-150 Oil cooler for PRM15, includes pipes and bracket

SC-01 Shaft clutch to provide optional standalone diesel generator function

SM-01 "Smart" Morse control lever 250.00

Radio-01 Short range radio link for speed control

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.