SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Heaven Can Wait 2012

3K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  Classic30 
#1 ·
After the "rather interesting" time we all had last year (at least I'm sure the masochists of Lake Macquarie enjoyed themselves even if the humble crew of the Womboat didn't!), it seems the race organisers have seen the light and decided to add a 12 Hour Race to the event for this year:

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Heaven-Can-Wait---One-Lap-Dash,24-hour-and-now-12-hour-race/95155

What say you, Womby? Have you guys recovered enough (not sure I have...) or do you reckon even 12 hours is still absolute fuzziness?? :eek: :eek: :p

Hmmm...

#2 ·
C,

We have worked out a few of options should we choose to do it again this year.

Offer out services as radio relay ship to cover that area of the lake where the reception is rubbish. Anchor down there, do our duty, nap eat and drink.

Or

As night falls we pull into the club or if we are at the wrong end of the course, drop anchor somewhere. Eat, drink, sleep. See how we feel after a few hours and get going again.

Or

Start and if the weather is utter rubbish go back to the club and get drunk.

They all seems preferable to going through that hell again but surely surely surely the weather cannot do that three years in a row ... can it ?

#7 · (Edited)
Righto.. leave it to you and BenT to work something out.

It'd be great to get StAnna on board - we could introduce him to some REAL sailing on a REAL yacht! :p

As night falls we pull into the club or if we are at the wrong end of the course, drop anchor somewhere. Eat, drink, sleep. See how we feel after a few hours and get going again.
I like that option... and cannot for the life of me work out why we didn't do it last year. There was absolutely no reason we couldn't have just anchored for the last two hours right where we were and still finished the race. I put it down to us all being too fed up with the whole debacle to even think straight.

They all seems preferable to going through that hell again but surely surely surely the weather cannot do that three years in a row ... can it ?
HA!

If it even smells like it might do that again closer to the date, there's no way I'd even get on the plane. :eek:

#5 ·
Simple answer - yes and yes ... :p

Arsehole.

Hey ... we had Bruce and June from Ainia on board last weekend. Mentioned they had caught up with you last year. Nice people.

#4 ·
I'm kind of liking the options our resident wombat is offering up. Basically, anything that offers an out to the weather we had last time sounds like a good plan. Sailing the lake is actually pretty damned nice for the rest of the year... it's just when we're on it together it seems to turn to @#$% ;)

I'm working out the logistics of all this given I have Corsair Class Nationals in Queensland ending the Friday before the race starts. Most likely will just drop the Friday race(s) to get back in time for the HCW. As my wife said yesterday, I'm far more likely to enjoy losing a race on a yacht in Lake Macquarie than losing a race in a dinghy in Queensland :laugher.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm kind of liking the options our resident wombat is offering up. Basically, anything that offers an out to the weather we had last time sounds like a good plan. Sailing the lake is actually pretty damned nice for the rest of the year... it's just when we're on it together it seems to turn to @#$% ;)
I'm working out the logistics of all this given I have Corsair Class Nationals in Queensland ending the Friday before the race starts. Most likely will just drop the Friday race(s) to get back in time for the HCW. As my wife said yesterday, I'm far more likely to enjoy losing a race on a yacht in Lake Macquarie than losing a race in a dinghy in Queensland :laugher.
A person goes through that rubbish cos they got caught out and had no other option .... only fools and horses do it deliberately. If a 24 cruise around the lake can raise some money for the charity then count me in but bugger the wet cold and misery.

#12 ·
I think it would be a good assumption. I think fuzzy mentioned it was most likely not happening too - which is more than reasonable.

FWIW - my business finances, whilst not a problem, are no longer conducive to taking out $30K+ required for getting one of the boats I'm looking at (and the costs to fix the inevitable issues). My wife & I discussed the idea of dipping into debt available to us, and we started the process of applying for it, but then decided not to break our (so far very effective) life strategy of avoiding debt for anything but the absolute essentials. If two of my clients go forward on some big contracts we've lined up - perhaps next year we'll have a boat already on the water for this.

Sorry :eek:

#13 ·
FWIW - my business finances, whilst not a problem, are no longer conducive to taking out $30K+ required for getting one of the boats I'm looking at (and the costs to fix the inevitable issues). My wife & I discussed the idea of dipping into debt available to us, and we started the process of applying for it, but then decided not to break our (so far very effective) life strategy of avoiding debt for anything but the absolute essentials. If two of my clients go forward on some big contracts we've lined up - perhaps next year we'll have a boat already on the water for this.

Sorry :eek:
Good strategy. No-one should ever be tempted to get into debt to buy a recreational sailing boat - it really isn't a smart thing to do.

Next year sounds good. :)

#14 ·
Definitely no Womboat this year. I'd left it open to the last possible moment but we have to slip the old girl and at the same time redo the rudder pintles. They had a bit of play in them when we bought her and the miles we put in this last year have only made them worse. The yard cannot do it before Sept 25 and they have to go off to be machined so we'll not get her back in the water until the Friday before the race. Droping her back in and then racing 70nm up the coast is not really on so I'm afraid this year we pass.

Probably mean that the weather will be perfect of course but the rest of them can thank us for that. Next year the race moves to later in the year so we may well be up for it then if we happen to still be around.

Cheers

Andrew B

#15 ·
WHat was this race for?

I did a Breast cancer fund raiser last sunday, had hoot of a time! or should that be HOOTER of a time?!?!?!?!?!? ours was only 3 hrs, did get the most distance in my division.......um er the "DD" division.

Marty

#16 ·
@Marty:
Heaven Can Wait is a race supporting cancer charities (though I'm not sure exactly which ones). It's a mite longer than three hours, the fastest one-lap dash is around three and a half hours I think. The 24 hour distance race is, funnily enough, 24 hours long ;)

I like the sound of that "DD" division. I think that is something I can get behind... I mean support... um, perhaps I should just leave them it alone :eek: ;)

#17 ·
Marty,
I do hope you received plenty of support.
HCW is a Prostate Cancer fund racer ... Started some years back by a survivor. The lake itself is quite large so amazingly enough running a 24 hour affair is quite doable. From memory each circuit of the lake is around 35 nms.

Andrew B

#18 ·
I'm sure somewhere here in the sound, we could sorta kinda find a 35 mile loop, but the coast guard would probably not like us too well!

No fund raisers that I know of in the states for that issue as of yet........boobs seem to do better on that issue. Leukemia has a pretty good group of races thru out the states too. Sept seems to be the most benefit races here in Seattle. Another usually the first saturday in april pulls a few in for a food bank. As does one later this month for NW Harvest, another food bank type out fit.

For the first time doing here, this event raised 37K US$, i had about 1200 or so. I was at the 150% of the ave per boat, not bad, highest IIRC was around $4000, lowest the entry fee at 100.

Fun time by all, including the free beer after donated by a local micro brew house.

I'd join you all if I was a bit closer! The womboat would be better than the skiboat per say! 28' on deck and 6500 lbs would be less fun than the womboat!

Marty

#20 · (Edited)
No fund raisers that I know of in the states for that issue as of yet........boobs seem to do better on that issue. Leukemia has a pretty good group of races thru out the states too. Sept seems to be the most benefit races here in Seattle. Another usually the first saturday in april pulls a few in for a food bank. As does one later this month for NW Harvest, another food bank type out fit.
My wife's uncle was diagnosed with Leukemia just recently and all he got was 3 weeks from diagnosis to dead. His funeral is tomorrow. :(

I say that to say this: These are all good causes to be supported.. ;)

#19 ·
Bent, for your info, there were three groups, ie div 1, 2 and 3. Fast middle and slow boats, ie A, C and DD groups. I were in the slow one, so they called us DD's! Still pretty happy with how we did. just over 12 miles in 3 hrs with a post fastnet halfton style boat!

Marty

#22 ·
Probably, Hartley18. Another mate of mine was going to enter, but had all his safety gear stolen from his boat. Murphy's Law is a real @#$% this year.

Taking the kids out to see the start tomorrow before heading over to Speers Point for an afternoon of not busting a gut racing (i.e. kids play, the wife & I read over coffee). Seventy two boats across the range of classes able to sail the lake should make for a great morning.

#23 ·
Well as it turned out we didn't need to do the rudder pintles and the old girl ended up back in the water last night. Bucketing down in Sydney right now and rain predicted for tomorrow morning at least.

Hey C .... you should have seen the beard on her when we pulled her. For some reason all the anti fouling had been scrapped off the bottom of the keel. Hee Hee you old Cfarer you.

Bent ... thought you were off to Qld ?

We'll probably just mooch around the harbour, maybe take a loop out and back if the weather is good.

I confess I feel a tadge guilty at not being on the lake.

Avagudweegend chaps.

#24 ·
Bent ... thought you were off to Qld ?
Nationals got cancelled. Ironically enough, because there weren't enough boats registered to turn up. :rolleyes:

With the nationals cancelled and my boys on school holidays, I've been spending time with the family locally (beaches, parks, that-kind-of-thing). I've worked the morning and then taken my kids out every afternoon this week.

We're actually heading into Sydney on Sunday to take the boys to the Maritime Museum. Ridiculously cheap train fares and the boys still think of train trips as an adventure. It's not sailing but it's still a good way to spend half the weekend :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.