Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Heaven Can Wait 2012

After the "rather interesting" time we all had last year (at least I'm sure the masochists of Lake Macquarie enjoyed themselves even if the humble crew of the Womboat didn't!), it seems the race organisers have seen the light and decided to add a 12 Hour Race to the event for this year:

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/...our-race/95155

What say you, Womby? Have you guys recovered enough (not sure I have...) or do you reckon even 12 hours is still absolute fuzziness??

Hmmm...
Old 03-25-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Heaven Can Wait 2012

C,

We have worked out a few of options should we choose to do it again this year.

Offer out services as radio relay ship to cover that area of the lake where the reception is rubbish. Anchor down there, do our duty, nap eat and drink.

Or

As night falls we pull into the club or if we are at the wrong end of the course, drop anchor somewhere. Eat, drink, sleep. See how we feel after a few hours and get going again.

Or

Start and if the weather is utter rubbish go back to the club and get drunk.

They all seems preferable to going through that hell again but surely surely surely the weather cannot do that three years in a row ... can it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
After the "rather interesting" time we all had last year (at least I'm sure the masochists of Lake Macquarie enjoyed themselves even if the humble crew of the Womboat didn't!), it seems the race organisers have seen the light and decided to add a 12 Hour Race to the event for this year:

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/...our-race/95155

What say you, Womby? Have you guys recovered enough (not sure I have...) or do you reckon even 12 hours is still absolute fuzziness??

Hmmm...

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

IS Lake Mac big enough for a 12 hour race or was the womboat's skipper a little slow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

I'm kind of liking the options our resident wombat is offering up. Basically, anything that offers an out to the weather we had last time sounds like a good plan. Sailing the lake is actually pretty damned nice for the rest of the year... it's just when we're on it together it seems to turn to @#$%

I'm working out the logistics of all this given I have Corsair Class Nationals in Queensland ending the Friday before the race starts. Most likely will just drop the Friday race(s) to get back in time for the HCW. As my wife said yesterday, I'm far more likely to enjoy losing a race on a yacht in Lake Macquarie than losing a race in a dinghy in Queensland .
Old 03-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
IS Lake Mac big enough for a 12 hour race or was the womboat's skipper a little slow?

Simple answer - yes and yes ...

Arsehole.

Hey ... we had Bruce and June from Ainia on board last weekend. Mentioned they had caught up with you last year. Nice people.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
I'm kind of liking the options our resident wombat is offering up. Basically, anything that offers an out to the weather we had last time sounds like a good plan. Sailing the lake is actually pretty damned nice for the rest of the year... it's just when we're on it together it seems to turn to @#$%
I'm working out the logistics of all this given I have Corsair Class Nationals in Queensland ending the Friday before the race starts. Most likely will just drop the Friday race(s) to get back in time for the HCW. As my wife said yesterday, I'm far more likely to enjoy losing a race on a yacht in Lake Macquarie than losing a race in a dinghy in Queensland .
A person goes through that rubbish cos they got caught out and had no other option .... only fools and horses do it deliberately. If a 24 cruise around the lake can raise some money for the charity then count me in but bugger the wet cold and misery.

Last edited by tdw; 03-26-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Righto.. leave it to you and BenT to work something out.

It'd be great to get StAnna on board - we could introduce him to some REAL sailing on a REAL yacht!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
As night falls we pull into the club or if we are at the wrong end of the course, drop anchor somewhere. Eat, drink, sleep. See how we feel after a few hours and get going again.
I like that option... and cannot for the life of me work out why we didn't do it last year. There was absolutely no reason we couldn't have just anchored for the last two hours right where we were and still finished the race. I put it down to us all being too fed up with the whole debacle to even think straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
They all seems preferable to going through that hell again but surely surely surely the weather cannot do that three years in a row ... can it ?
HA!

If it even smells like it might do that again closer to the date, there's no way I'd even get on the plane.

Last edited by Classic30; 03-27-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2012

Quote:
Righto.. leave it to you and BenT to work something out.

It'd be great to get StAnna on board - we could introduce him to some REAL sailing on a REAL yacht!

Would I have to do anything except use my ample weight on the weather side

I like that option... and cannot for the life of me work out why we didn't do it last year. There was absolutely no reason we couldn't have just anchored for the last two hours right where we were and still finished the race. I put it down to us all being too fed up with the whole debacle to even think straight.

Well it has been known for an occasional Bris-Gladstone competitor to anchor and weight until the tidal race slows before attempting the run up to the Yacht Club

HA!

If it even smells like it might do that again closer to the date, there's no way I'd even get on the plane.
Just what did Andy do to you guys? Jeez, toughen up, a kiwi may read that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Would I have to do anything except use my ample weight on the weather side
Yep. You can be lookout: Stand in the rain/hail for 24 hours straight whilst the rest of us eat, drink and be merry in the warm confines of Kukka's wonderfully cozy cabin.
Old 03-27-2012

Quote:
Yep. You can be lookout: Stand in the rain/hail for 24 hours straight whilst the rest of us eat, drink and be merry in the warm confines of Kukka's wonderfully cozy cabin.
I must warn you that it has been reported [by the accountant/admiral/reefing or heeling alarm sounder]that I have trouble attempting to do more than one thing at a time, but I'm game to give it a bash - hell I cant miss Oz, in a friggin lake can I - [PS thats for my mate smacka's benefit]