SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   quick question with regard to anchoring near port of everett, puget sound, wa (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/85443-quick-question-regard-anchoring-near-port-everett-puget-sound-wa.html)

kenneth549 03-26-2012 07:10 AM

quick question with regard to anchoring near port of everett, puget sound, wa

hello; my name is stephen kenneth. i have a quick question for anyone that live's and sails in the puget sound...i believe i can pretty much anchor anywhere i want as long as it's outside of the shipping lanes...i just picked up a little 25footer and instead of paying moorage..i'm considering just anchoring her outside of the port of everett....does anyone know if this would be a problem? thank you. skr

Tim R. 03-26-2012 10:25 AM

Re: quick question with regard to anchoring near port of everett, puget sound, wa

You better check the charts first. You definitely cannot anchor just anywhere. There could be submerged cable or it could be a commercial anchoring area. Local regulation could also limit your stay so check with the local harbormaster.

Do you really trust your anchoring skills that much? What happens when the wind shifts 180 and doubles in strength? It is bad enough when a boat drags anchor with someone on board. You may be willing to take the chance but what happens when your boat hits another or sinks? I assume you have no insurance because they would not approve of your idea of temporary moorage.

Get a mooring, sleep better at night.

erps 03-26-2012 10:28 AM

Re: quick question with regard to anchoring near port of everett, puget sound, wa

Greetings Stephen,

I did the same as you, only up north at Utsalady, Camano Island. All I can say is that the areas that are suitable for moored boats will have moored boats already there. There are some at Langley, some in Penn Cove west of Coupeville and Cornet Bay is getting quite a population as well as Utsalady. These areas are well protected and have boats there moored year 'round. I've gone into the Port of Everett on occasion for fuel and I just don't remember much of a population of moored boats. If you're talking at the mouth of the river there somewhere, that area is exposed to weather. I recollect a couple boats moored in the river across from the marina, but they looked like derelicts. I personally would be concerned about being the first one to moor a boat somewhere. The state DNR does require permits for mooring on their bottom, but they don't have much enforcement.

ScuzzMonkey 03-27-2012 01:50 AM

They are stepping up enforcement; Port Hadlock just got swept and unregistered moorings tagged. Word on the street is that they are going to be working their way south through Puget Sound. As far as I know no boats or moorings have actually been removed yet, but they are clearly laying the legal groundwork for it.

I suspect this is not a sustainable effort and that after they hit some of the more problematic anchorages it will fall off the radar again, but right now is possibly not the best time to test the theory that no one is really checking these things....

kenneth549 03-28-2012 05:14 AM

hello: thank you for the reply's. under what grounds would they be 'making you register' to anchor? also; yes sir. i do trust my anchoring skills. im norwegian. been on boat's since i was born. sailed in the bering sea ak, sea of okhosk, russia. norway. inside passage. gulf islands, san juan islands. puget sound, south sound, through the locks many times (that being said there are only like 2 'open mooring on the hook' areas once inside the locks including lake wa. i've sailed the pacific and atlantic ocean, st johns river fl and i've even sailed in the middle of the desert! lake meade nv. i can tell you dragging anchor for an experienced sailor is very uncommon. i did lose a friend that dragged anchor and got swept out in front of a barge being pushed by a tug boat in the columbia river...got run over...my other friend that was with him monkey'd on board the barge as it ran their boat over....that being said...KNOCK ON WOOD. thank you for asking....recent example. me and my kids...took a 3 month trip last summer. out of that 3 months we only stayed overnight in port 6 times. we'd hit a new port every day or two...take our bikes and go explore..then head back to he boat and go anchor out...anchoring is a very smart thing to do. give me a break. anchoring skills.....ha ha ha ;) you crack me up..you must be kidding me!! thx anyways....HA HA HA:):):)

erps 03-28-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

under what grounds would they be 'making you register' to anchor?
the state owns the mud we anchor in. If it's going to be a long term mooring, they want a permit fee.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/recreationeduc...ring_buoy.aspx

safira 03-28-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth549 (Post 851629)
hello: thank you for the reply's. under what grounds would they be 'making you register' to anchor? also; yes sir. i do trust my anchoring skills. im norwegian. been on boat's since i was born. sailed in the bering sea ak, sea of okhosk, russia. norway. inside passage. gulf islands, san juan islands. puget sound, south sound, through the locks many times (that being said there are only like 2 'open mooring on the hook' areas once inside the locks including lake wa. i've sailed the pacific and atlantic ocean, st johns river fl and i've even sailed in the middle of the desert! lake meade nv. i can tell you dragging anchor for an experienced sailor is very uncommon. i did lose a friend that dragged anchor and got swept out in front of a barge being pushed by a tug boat in the columbia river...got run over...my other friend that was with him monkey'd on board the barge as it ran their boat over....that being said...KNOCK ON WOOD. thank you for asking....recent example. me and my kids...took a 3 month trip last summer. out of that 3 months we only stayed overnight in port 6 times. we'd hit a new port every day or two...take our bikes and go explore..then head back to he boat and go anchor out...anchoring is a very smart thing to do. give me a break. anchoring skills.....ha ha ha ;) you crack me up..you must be kidding me!! thx anyways....HA HA HA:):):)

Wonderful response Keneth. Have to love the way somepeople have a lot of comments here to others. Yes I am another that has been sail for a few years, just 50+ and got a good laugh at the comment of anchoring skills.

kenneth549 03-28-2012 11:21 AM

errps...thx..however. we have a lack of communication. i'm talking about anchoring..not setting up a mooring buoy...however; in 93..in a fjord in haugesund norway me and my cousin lars solvik setup a mooring buoy out in front of his house..we went down 45' in scuba gear and used air bags near the top of the water to 'lift' the cement block up and or down to move it into the correct placement...then we ran an anchor with chain through a ring on the cement block then more chain then to rope and then up to a mooring ball at the surface...works great to this day. when i was down there....i got tangled up in the line...lars looked at me with wide eyes and a 'hand signal' to just chill out as he untangled me....heck, always scuba in two's that's for sure..or i may still be there...with the ground tackle.
take care.
stephen kenneth ronning
EERRPS; THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE DNR INFORMATION. THAT IS VERY USEFUL. I AM APPRECIATIVE TO HAVE THAT...that makes me think....thx again! have a great day! ;)

kenneth549 03-28-2012 11:38 AM

eerrps..again..thank you. im going to research this mooring ball idea. ive downloaded some links off the site you sent me..it looks to me that it pertains to people who have shoresided/upland property next to where they want to moore. which i don't...im gonna find a good moorage near port of everett and apply for putting in a 'mooring ball' (for sake of a better term)..i think your onto something here . thx again. you seem to know a lot about this....where do i get the application for the 'general public'. who'm doesnt own shorefont property?
as always. thx.
SKR