Im gonna do about 14' OF CHAIN BEFORE MY RODE ON MY ANCHOR LINE FOR A 25FOOTER - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012

kenneth549 is on a distinguished road
Im gonna do about 14' OF CHAIN BEFORE MY RODE ON MY ANCHOR LINE FOR A 25FOOTER

What size Do you recommend? Thx.. Also, what 'kind of chain?' thx again
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2012

klem is on a distinguished road
Re: Im gonna do about 14' OF CHAIN BEFORE MY RODE ON MY ANCHOR LINE FOR A 25FOOTER

Chain serves a few purposes. First, it provides a connection from the anchor to the bow of the boat so it must be strong enough. Second, it provides chafe protection for your anchor rode so how much chain you need is determined by whether you anchor in a place with chafe. Third, chain will help your anchor set because it will keep the shank on the sea floor.

What are the absolute worst conditions that you expect to anchor in? Also, what type of boat do you have? The chain needs to be strong enough for this situation. For reference, the ABYC recommends a working load of 1500 lbs for your boat on a permanent mooring. 1/4" G40 has a working load of 2600 lbs so that would be more than adequate. Just make sure to replace your chain once it starts to significantly deteriorate.

Since you have already settled on a length, I am going to assume that you have taken into account whether you will be dealing with coral or anything else that will require the use of more chain.

What model of anchor do you have? For most anchors, setting can be helped by more, heavier chain. The exception to this that I know of is fortress anchors in very soft bottoms but they have good guidelines on their website. If you plan to anchor on short scope, heavier chain will be necessary but if you plan to use adequate scope, then the 1/4" chain mentioned above will be fine. For short scope anchoring, I would consider 5/16" G30.
Old 03-26-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Im gonna do about 14' OF CHAIN BEFORE MY RODE ON MY ANCHOR LINE FOR A 25FOOTER

I have a 26ft boat and I use 12' of 1/4" galvanized chain & 150' of line with a Danforth anchor. I have had zero issues thus far. Also my mooring has 20' of 1/4" galvanized and 20' of 1/2" line attached to 3 augers sunk into the lake floor. The chain is well over 10 years and no issues at all. I did swap out the line last year though.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 03-26-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

I use 16' of 3/8 BBB with a 40lb anchor on a 36' boat, but that is a little overkill. Upside I don't drag even in mud.

Tell us more, what size,type of boat?
Where do you plan to anchor?
What type of anchor? (don't start another anchor thread ), just traditional, spade, plow, etc...
What size of anchor?

On a 25 footer especially for day anchoring, you don't need an excessive ground tackle. But I would, (and do), keep a second storm anchor in a locker for unexpected storms.
Old 03-26-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If this is for the permant anchoring you are talking about, an ALL chain rode with the BIGGEST anchor you can set would be best. If a normal overnight anchor, then a 10-15lb danforth, 8-12lb bruce, claw, spade or equal with the amount of chain you propose would be fine for around the salish sea.

marty