Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: no discharge zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSF View Post
And ALL this time I thought human 'waste' was bio-de-grade-able, silly me, GOD and Mother Nature, made a mistake?
Do YOU enjoy swimming in sewage?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Do YOU enjoy swimming in sewage?
SBS, no-one is suggesting that we turn our aquatic playgrounds into cesspools but the laws, as they currently stand, are capricious and ineffective. They do little or nothing to affect water quality, as has been demonstrated by some of the info posted in this thread. Macerating and pumping a 30 gallon holding tank in the middle of Georgia Strait or 10 miles offshore of SoCal is NOT going to affect anyone's swimming hole or anything else.

Until the powers that be start focusing on the big sources and quit pretending they are doing something by penalizing boaters, the situation won't improve.

Just how many Sunday sailors does it take to equal a 10 million gallon spill?
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-28-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSF View Post
And ALL this time I thought human 'waste' was bio-de-grade-able, silly me, GOD and Mother Nature, made a mistake?
Yep, it is biodegradable, but we hampered Mother Nature's ability to clean it up. Additionally, we keep making more and more people, who keep making more and more people, etc..., etc..., etc.... And, they all poop in the water--How dumb is that!

Gary
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Slacker

SJB,

Read the post to which I was responding. A_SF made no distinctions about the amount of discharge, or the distance from shore.

BTW, one CAN pump out three-plus miles from shore in SoCal (except in the Channel Islands Marine Sanctuary). So, ten miles offshore is perfectly legal (and fine as far as I'm concerned).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 03-28-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
I understand that the town is wrong to allow the sewage spill and I'm sure they are working hard to correct the problem.
The City of Baltimore has been 'dumping' raw sewage (Back Creek treatment plant - the 'main' plant) for the past 50+ years ... happens almost EVERY time there is a heavy rainstorm over Baltimore. The 'bottom' of Back Creek is now many feet deep with mostly '$#!T SLUDGE'.
Apparently there is no need for any correction as they have ..... 'sovereign immunity'.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 03-28-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

I am not in favor of medicated people discharging their human waste, and honestly grey water can also be a problem depending on what people decide to dump down the sink.

I don't subscribe to the "hey, they (corporation people) are doing it more than I ever could, so I might as well too"...

Would those who point at the large polluters favor much stricter regulation and oversight of these business as well (even if it meant being a "job killer"?)?
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-28-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

My boat cant discharge as the compleat Long Island Sound is a NDZ so no point BUT i have to say i am pretty sure complaince is low as there are only two hit and miss pump out boats and one fixed station for ALL the boats in Northport ,Centerport and Huntington well over 7000 boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Slacker

I can see making Long Island Sound a NDZ. It's a pretty large embayment with a relatively small opening to the sea. That must make for a limited amount of natural flushing. Kinda similar to San Francisco Bay, and San Diego Bay, on a larger scale.
Old 03-28-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

A guy at pier 39 in Frisco said " There are 39 sea lions on the breakwater and docks here, each weighing around 1500 lbs. It it true that their sewage doesn't count, but mine does?"
Strong currents in the area give excellent flushing.
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
A guy at pier 39 in Frisco said " There are 39 sea lions on the breakwater and docks here, each weighing around 1500 lbs. It it true that their sewage doesn't count, but mine does?"
Strong currents in the area give excellent flushing.
And there are about 300 boats at Pier 39 Marina, plus thousands of boats at other SF marinas (tens of thousands, if you include all the boats in SF Bay).