SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   no discharge zones (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/85495-no-discharge-zones.html)

jsnaulty 03-27-2012 07:53 AM

no discharge zones

with all the attention boat sewage gets from our legislators and environauts, I thought the forum would find this interesting:

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Anne Arundel County Department of Health
Recreational Water Quality Alert
Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Department of Health
3 Harry Truman Parkway
Annapolis, MD 21401

EMERGENCY CLOSING FOR SECTION OF PATAPSCO RIVER IN BROOKLYN:
Department of Health Warns Against Direct Water Contact

March 26, 2012 - The Anne Arundel County Department of Health has ordered an emergency closing and warns against direct water contact for a section of the Patapsco River in Brooklyn, Maryland. The affected area includes the section of the river from Annapolis Road downstream. The closing is due to a sewage spill of more than 17 million gallons caused by a force main break at the Baltimore County Patapsco Pumping Station on March 25.

The overflow is ongoing with about 17 million gallons of sewage released daily. Baltimore County Department of Public Works has enlisted utility contractors to restore the line. Repairs are expected to be completed by Thursday. See http://www.aahealth.org/pdf/patapsco...ng-station.pdf.

The Department of Health has posted emergency closing signs along the section of the Patapsco River, and the closure will remain in effect until further notice. People coming in contact with the affected water are advised to wash well with soap and warm water immediately. Clothing should also be washed.
[/COLOR]

I wonder hope many boats discharging sewage would it take to reach 17 million gallons a day?

steve naulty
annapolis md
ericson 35-3 "anodyne"

Tim R. 03-27-2012 08:12 AM

Re: no discharge zones

I wonder what their fine will be, if any.

Steve, my former boat is in your neighborhood. "Carina" is a red 1985 Ericson 35-3.

jsnaulty 03-27-2012 08:54 AM

i know - I have a picture of 'cordelia' as my wallpaper on my computer. I can't wait to paint mine red! BTW, were you happy with the color? what type of paint?

steve

Tim R. 03-27-2012 08:58 AM

Loved the color. It was Dupont Imron paint with clearcoat. I was able to buff and polish it unlike Awlgrip.

rayncyn51 03-27-2012 09:40 AM

Here's the math:

Maryland has about 200,000 registered boats of all kinds. Probably half of them are day use boats without holding tanks. That leaves 100,000 boats with holding tanks averaging, what, 25 gallons? If every boat in MD went up to the Patapsco and dumped, that'd be 2 1/2 million gallons. So every boat in MD would have to get together in one place and dump 7 times a day to equal this mess.

I'm all for clean water, but far too much of this country runs on the backs of the little guys.

BarryL 03-27-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsnaulty (Post 851123)
I wonder hope many boats discharging sewage would it take to reach 17 million gallons a day?

I understand that the town is wrong to allow the sewage spill and I'm sure they are working hard to correct the problem.

I don't really understand your question. It would take a lot of boats to make that much sewage. Are you suggesting that because the town has a sewage problem that it is OK for boats to dump untreated sewage into a river?

Barry

jsnaulty 03-27-2012 01:41 PM

this sort of thing happens nearly every day in some industrialized river that flows into the chesapeake. the pump out at my marina happens to go into this very sewage system, which has had 5 such multi day spills over the winter. I truly don't care about how you deal with your 'sewage', but it is the governments totally cavalier approach to gigantic municipal spills versus the "board my boat with machine guns and make sure the twisty tie is in place on my y valve and check that the placards are appropriately displayed" approach the local DEP types take to boats that fries my ass. MD needs to get its municipal and governmental house in order before fining and harassing boaters for what would be at best a 'drop in the (honey) bucket" compared to what washington, baltimore and norfolk do to the bay every day with impunity- they're too big to fail" . keep your sewage on your boat till it explodes for all I care - but don't fool yourself that your sweet 'green' thoughtfulness is 'making a difference' unless you're are the only occupant of some confined pristine harbor with no marine life that is metabolizing proteins into nitrogenous excretions.

CapnBilll 03-27-2012 02:23 PM

It's not that dumping sewage is good, it's that new laws about grey water, and no discharge zones that make the extra bucks for an electrasan useless.

And the bottom line is cities dump millions of gallons a day in most of our water ways.. Even with all the boats together it would only equal a fraction of this. And fish, whales, and other animals excrement in this same water, One or two humans, or even a few hundred aren't going to make a significant difference to the enviroment.

Yet boaters get the bulk of the fines.

chef2sail 03-27-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

this sort of thing happens nearly every day in some industrialized river that flows into the chesapeake. the pump out at my marina happens to go into this very sewage system, which has had 5 such multi day spills over the winter. I truly don't care about how you deal with your 'sewage', but it is the governments totally cavalier approach to gigantic municipal spills versus the "board my boat with machine guns and make sure the twisty tie is in place on my y valve and check that the placards are appropriately displayed" approach the local DEP types take to boats that fries my ass. MD needs to get its municipal and governmental house in order before fining and harassing boaters for what would be at best a 'drop in the (honey) bucket" compared to what washington, baltimore and norfolk do to the bay every day with impunity- they're too big to fail" . keep your sewage on your boat till it explodes for all I care - but don't fool yourself that your sweet 'green' thoughtfulness is 'making a difference' unless you're are the only occupant of some confined pristine harbor with no marine life that is metabolizing proteins into nitrogenous excretions.
So what are you proposing here...we all dump intp the Bay?????? Two wrongs do not make a right.

I get it we should fine the crap (sic) out of the utility????So where would you be next...standing in yelling about your utility rates going up...

I actually agree with your comments about the government and policing the spills HOWEVER there is no way I agree the solution is to leave the boaters alone and to go amuck with not controlling their waste tanks.

Barry L who commented above lives on the LI Sound where they have a much better control of both boaters waste and spuills it appears. It also seems like the people whon live there support the keeping of the waters clean much more than the boaters on the Chesapeake who choose to rail and point out all the spills rather than take responsibility for their individual part in keeping the waters clean. I have no patience for the whiners who do not take care of their own boats sewage and do not do what is LEGALLY required of them. The boaters on the LI SOUND and their communities have free pump out boats and take a much more proactive approach to this problem.

Stop whining and complaining and propose a solution to the problem. Do not link another part of the solution to the problem (boaters) as it obfuscates and dilutes the point you are making.

Dave

jsnaulty 03-27-2012 05:27 PM

I'm not saying that you (emphasis you) should dump your sewage into the bay. However, I am- just re-routing it to the patapsco river by our so called "pump out" system. After fermenting it for a week or so in a 'MSD' holding tank. I'm not saying boats should dump sewage willy-nilly- great salt pond on block island is a very different place now with no-discharge than it was 20 years ago, but please, EPA just apply 'no-discharge' sensibly, and not just as a gesture to make americans feel that the authorities are doing their job- "see, they're getting those baaaad boaters under control, they must be doing a good job. Pollution is on the run!"

to reroute my sewage is fine, and I am happy to do so- but for us to proclaim that this is 'saving the bay' is folly, but proclaim it we do. I just want some attention paid and policing applied to the major polluters who get away with it because 'they would have to revise the entire baltimore sewage system"

I had to revise the sewage system on my boat multiple times, why shouldn't they? not to mention getting some real value and many construction jobs out of our tax money, rather than repeated 'studies' of the problem and paying unemployment to unfortunate people who can't find construction work.

I lived on long island sound for many years, and the only thing that 'cleaned it up' a (a rather large exaggeration- New York still dumps garbage just offshore and beaches in southern CT are covered with tampons and syringes) was the construction of modern sewage treatment plants in bridgeport, new haven, and new london, which had previously dumped sewage into the sound in amounts that daily exceeded all the conceivable boat flushes possible (see above math, but worse- those sound plants didn't do it a few times a month, like baltimore, but daily.

The enforcement of these regulations borders on the absurd. We were boarded and fined for having the "sewage placard not prominently displayed" (it was behind the companionway steps) -in a race. by so called environmental police with M-16s. It's this focus on rich boaters rather than the real polluters is what I am calling ridiculous, and if you don't think that it is, then I have no hope for you. Don't paint your boat's bottom with antifouling- fines coming. (carefully neglecting fact that fouled bottoms increase your 'carbon footprint'). Copper? take a look at the composition of salt water sometime. plenty of copper there.Has even been proposals to extract heavy metals from seawater instead of mining them.