Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Grounding on purpose

That is a pretty big keel on the Coronado 25': CORONADO 25 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
which should support the boats weight fairly well.
With a draft of about 3'8" I'd suggest that just anchoring in 4' - 4.5' of water would do the trick to allow you to clean the bottom.
Letting the hull drag in a sandy bottom WILL grind some of the paint off the bottom of the keel. Think: Sandpaper.
You are right though, the tidal range in the FL Keys is pretty small. I'd still shoot for doing this at low tide on a calm day.
G'luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
When done intentionally it is called "careening"
Everyone should keep that term in mind for the next time they run aground - simply refer to it as careening, et voila, it's no longer an accident or stupidity.
skygazer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
I thought careening referred the listing of the hull if it had no side support. But I've also heard it refer to tying up alongside the side of a rock-wall slip to sand and repaint the bottom *real quick* during one low tide period, typically on a spring tide where you get an extra foot or two (40' sloop at the town landing pier in Marblehead was the one I remember).
Careening is laying a boat on its side when the tide goes out. Tying up to a drying dock is known as "drying out alongside". A variant of it is a "tide grid" which is a platform or grid between close set pilings that dries on low tides.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakAwayFL View Post
Thanks for all of the extremely helpful information. My boat is a fin keel, but the tides here are only about 1' in most locations, so I think I might give it a shot. I just hopes she'll float off on the high tide!
Not to belabour the obvious but be sure to check the tide tables beforehand to make sure the higher tide is the later tide. Neglect this and dry out at the top of a spring tide and you might be there a long time.

Quote:
My main concern was, is it safe to the physical structure of the boat to have the weight on the keel? Based on what I am seeing and reading, it seems to not be uncommon practice, if less common here, so I would gather the answer to be yes.
When a fin keel boat (or any boat for that matter) is on the hard with cradles or struts under it, the large majority of the weight rests on the keel. The cradle, struts, legs etc. are really only props, not load bearing members. If they are overloaded and carry significant weight, they can deform or even punch through the hull, so yes, the keel can take it.

A more significant concern with fin keels is the boat being bow or stern heavy relative to the keel bottom - this can be a problem when drying alongside or on a tide grid - the boat can tilt forward or backward instead of standing level.

Old 03-28-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

If you are just looking to clean the bottom there is no need to careen or actually ground the boat. When I was in northwest Florida the tide was typically less than 8 inches. When I wanted to clean the bottom without donning the scuba gear and diving at the dock I would anchor fore and aft in 6-7 feet of water grab the snorkel and mask and take my time cleaning and inspecting.
Old 03-28-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
If you are just looking to clean the bottom there is no need to careen or actually ground the boat. When I was in northwest Florida the tide was typically less than 8 inches. When I wanted to clean the bottom without donning the scuba gear and diving at the dock I would anchor fore and aft in 6-7 feet of water grab the snorkel and mask and take my time cleaning and inspecting.
This is actually probably the BEST way with warm water like is in FL. Local here in teh nw US, water is 40-42F year around, so snorkling is a dry suit affair per say.

WIth that, if you have a fin keel, there are some stilts one can get for either side of the boat, you put at the four corners and a fin keel can rest on the ground with area's of bigger tides as mentioned, ala 12-14' as we get here in the salish sea, bigger the farther north one seems to go to a point!

I've seen pics of a 40'ish foot Jeanneau with a 6.5' keel resting against a dock in the UK, with no issues before or after doing a cleaning and bottom job.

marty
Old 03-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

And then there's those folks who run aground on a falling tide... and quickly get out the brushes and the buckets and start scrubbing as the boat dries to make it LOOK like they did it on purpose!

One thing to look into before attempting anything like this on purpose is to know which way your boat will 'settle'.. many masthead fin keelers will tend to settle bow down, esp with raked keels, others like fractional rigs may tend to go stern down since the keels are sometimes further forward. Settling sideways onto a spade rudder might not be a good idea. Long chord fins like yours may want to sit essentially level/flat on their keel. Your keel tip is not parallel to the waterline and so may tend to nose down somewhat.

I know... I know... yet another advantage to the full keel set!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
And then there's those folks who run aground on a falling tide... and quickly get out the brushes and the buckets and start scrubbing as the boat dries to make it LOOK like they did it on purpose!
Nope - THAT qualifies as careening. No one said it had to be deliberate. If they sit in the cockpit for 12 hours looking worried, THEN they are aground.

Old 03-29-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

Here is a photo comparison - two photos taken 4 years and 200 feet apart, on my waterfront. One boat is definitely aground, although there was no damage, so maybe I could argue it was careeened The other boat is clearly drying out for a shaft seal and propeller replacement.

Hunter 37 Cutter and Albin Nimbus.
Attached Thumbnails
Grounding on purpose-aground.jpg   Grounding on purpose-drying-out.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

"And then there's those folks who run aground on a falling tide... and quickly get out the brushes and the buckets and start scrubbing as the boat dries to make it LOOK like they did it on purpose!"Faster

bwaahaaaahaa