SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

85 yr old Sailor dies at the Marina

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  byrsch 
#1 ·
Found out yesterday after asking around (because I found flowers next to the boat) that the man in the slip next to mine died a few days ago. He was an 85 yr old man. Had owned his boat since new for 50 years and had kept it at Zahnisers the entire time.
He had not been feeling well so he told his wife he would go down to the boat-everyone feels better when on the boat! Apparently when trying to get on or off he fell overboard. He was found the next day with his body half onto a dingy nearby. He apparently died of a heart attack.
I did not know him well but I did enjoy talking to him. His descriptions of Zahnisers in the old days were great. My respects to his wife and family.

#8 ·
Sounds like a great life. Lived to be a good age, owned a sailboat for at least 50 years and could afford a good marina the whole time. God bless him. I say he was a rich man, Rich in god's blessings. Prayers to his wife and family. I would love to live out my days like this.

#9 ·
i will be 90 on july 4 th. i hope to sail quite a few years yet. my goal is to be around at least to 100, but you never know. i sure don't want to linger in a nursing home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.