Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: The Live aboard dream right out of college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyreep View Post

Also, what is a good minimum size for a global cruiser for 2 occupants? 30' ?
IT is becasue someone can cross the big pond with a 14 ft boat, it does not mean you should. I would not want to do it with a 30' boat. But this is just me. But in most situation, the carpenter is more important than a hammer.

You are young, you can move up the bigger size as your grow.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyreep View Post
if I am going to UNC Wilmington and don't want to live in an apartment, what's the best way to go about finding a cruiser inexpensively that is capable of transcontinental?
If you intend to go to college paying the real money and time, your focus is school and learn something. Living on board, dating and living good are not important. There are plenty of wind, water and fishes (chicks) when you are done. That was how I set examples and taught my kids. After all these years, they are and will be very successful in life.

If you want to go global, everything you learn in college will be your solution to the problem in the middle of the ocean. Don't skip Physics for Engineering. Chemistry (General and Organic), Geometry and Calculus 1 and 2, Physical Geography, biology, microbiology and possible human physiology are a must. Fluid dynamics is good also.

I use the above disciplines every time I go off shore.

Good luck

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-03-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

It can't be done.
turn back---
you can't afford it and you don't have enough experience ,training or resilience.
You'll never make it.
It will break you financially and ruin your life forever !
Just re-enlist and work in a cubicle or a menial job and pay rent until you can no longer work and all your dreams die.
Then you will be safe and secure.
Or buy a house and land that you have little or no real actual control over your neighbors or any future taxes or use laws and pay 3-4 times the puchase price after interest for 30+ years.
Forget any youthful dreams and only work and pay, work and pay until old age comes and you can wonder forever "what if?"

Or you could just keep reading and studying what countless others have already done and learn through their experiences, find a boat you like and sail it wherever you feel you want to, until your satisfied or bored w/ it.
I occasionally see free boats on craigs list and have looked at a few,just for fun , (and because it's my addiction) some are junk, some just need a new owner.
The choice is yours. I already know which path I choose, I'm sailing !!!
Old 04-03-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Remember that even if you get a boat for free, the costs involved in owning and maintaining it are substantial. It is great to have the ambition and spirit to do something like this but it is also wise to consider the alternatives. You could wait for a while until you have the credentials to ultimately earn a good living and then "retire early" for a few years to go sailing. I'd recommend getting a degree under your belt before setting out. I waited until I graduated and then ski-bummed/patrolled for ten years. I was able to call up that degree when I decided it was time to get a "real job."
Old 04-03-2012
cruising all I can

Or you could "pass" in your sleep tonight.
A degree is certainly not a bad thing , I was just in Home Depot in daytona,FL. last week getting a few construction supplies , while I waited for them to be loaded onto the truck the clerk, a nice young lady , expressed to me that she had a couple of dergrees ! of course none of them came w/ a guarantee of employment. And she is working for $10 hr. as a cashier and struggling to make a mortgage and student loan payments.
roll the diiizzzzzzzzzze.

life is fleeting, live the dash
Old 04-03-2012
cruising all I can

but hey, what do I know !
I spend most of my time sailing about and visiting places under sail.
Occasionally having to work- Ugh.
Old 04-03-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Skyreep,
FIrst of all, as said above, a boat for livaboard for a year or two vs. an ocean crossing boat are 2 different things. Concentrate on the livaboard first and after a few years, look at ocean cruisers.
There are a lot of questions that only you can answer.
The big one...budget. How much do you have to spend on a boat and how much for upgrading and everyday expenses?
You need to decide which creature comforts are a must. As I said in another post, my first boat was a very roomy 30' Catalina, but it was bare bones. It didn't have hot water, shower or a refrigerated icebox. It did have an alcohol stove that we never use.
Our Catalina 34 we now have has, hot water, shower, gas stove, microwave and installed reverse cycle heat/AC unit. These things are important to us and we wouldn't have a boat without them.
What are the must items for you for a full time livaboard boat? Answer that first and then look for boats that meet your needs and budget.
Old 04-03-2012
cruising all I can

budget= all you have.
boat size= whatever suits you.
what kind of boat=sailboat.
is it chaeper to liveaboard or ashore= depends on how much you spend.
can it be done= by me apparently,and many many others.
what kind of work can be found cruising= hopefully the paying kind.
where can I find my dream boat?= the last place you look , you'll find it.
will I like it? = one way to find out.
should I go now or wait til "later"= I checked the calendar,better go now, didn't see the month of later listed.
What is most important ? = enjoying yourself and following your dreams as you live them.

let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.
Old 04-03-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road

As someone who is somewhat doing what you want to do, I would suggest buying a small boat, learn the basics and make sure that this is the lifestyle for you, Then buy the bigger boat capable of crossing oceans.

My wife and I are young, (late twenties) have a good deal of experience on the water (not sailing, powerboats) and we are working our way up to an intracoastal cruise. We would not even dream of doing a transcontinental without a whole lot more experience.

Example: A young guy with little experience in our marina recently bought a very well equipped cruiser thinking he was going to "sail around the world". His idea was to take it from St Pete Florida to the Keys to visit family then head out on his journey. Things started going wrong and even though he had planned for years, he had no idea what to do. He eventually had to call for a tow and $1200 later he is in the keys and I am guessing his plans of sailing around the world have changed.

Not trying to kill your dreams, just be more realistic. Buy a smaller boat, we live on a 26 Pearson with a dog and a cat. Smaller boats are cheap everywhere, we found ours on craigslist for $3400 in great condition. Build your skills over a few years. Then buy your big boat capable of crossing oceans
arf145 and chuck53 like this.

Last edited by WildJasmine; 04-03-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Skyreep, My wife and I bought a 30' sloop when we were right out of college and all we owned would fit in our car. There are plenty of strong, sound hull, used boats that can be "offshore" boats in your future with rigging and sail refits. In my opinion it's a myth that there is a line that separates "coastal" and "offshore" boats. Some are unfit, in poor condition, or poorly equipted, but there is no distinct difference by manufacturer. It is possible for you to purchase a boat that will be an offshore boat in the future. I would favor a full to 3/4 encapsulated keel with chainplates that can be accessed on a boat that my even be from the 70's or 80's that passes a good survey. This can be a boat that lacks sound rigging, sails, electrical system or motor.....not lacking all, but one disaster area can make the price very low. Another requirement for this plan to work would be that you a capable of taking on the challenges of maintenance and refit by your own skills and learning while not paying others to maintain your boat. Our forty years of liveaboard cruising have given us more in all aspects of our lives. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.