Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Safety at Sea by MTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
I need to add this; if you are on your boat and the SAR helo drops a line to you in preparation of lowering a basket, do not hook the line to your boat. Just hold it. Hooking the line to your boat puts the helo in danger. Also to prevent a shock to you prior to grabbing the line try to let it touch the boat 1st, or better yet the water. Also if you are in your inflatable raft consider sinking or partial sinking your raft when the helo is very close. This will be difficult to do so sink it when rescue is assured. A fully inflated empty raft can become airborne and fly into the rotor.

Jerry
Static discharge on the helo line is covered in the course. Not tying it to the boat was the first thing I remember the USCG Lt Cdr telling us. He was a helo pilot and was rather passionate about that point.

I don't recall the suggestion to sink the raft. I have to believe that is going to be mentally hard for the average ranger to do. Are the rescue swimmers instructed to do so? I've never heard of it before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2012

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Good point Minne ref sinking the raft. Yes you are right about it being mentally hard to do. I did fly SAR in a SeaKing and we did talk about the point of the raft. However if a long line is used (100' or so) for the rescue then it should not be a factor. However if the line is short, consider doing this. We did learn this during an Air force survival course. The down-wash can be terrific and you don't want one of those thing becoming airborne. Remember when I say sink the raft, it truly does not really sink. It just sits low in the water and if need be it can be re inflated. Remember don't do this unless rescue is assured. Just a thought.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I just signed up the Admiral and me for the April 6, 2013 session. (We have a church commitment that will prevent us from attending the second day.)

Is anyone else going this year?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-25-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

I've taken the one day course twice now (req'd for watch captains in offshore races)
Admiral is taking the class this year since we seem to be spending more time on various boats that go offshore.
Highly recommend the class if for no other reason than to inform people of what to expect when it all goes south. Knowledge really does make a difference when things go to SHYTE.
Old 03-26-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Is there a typo here?

Quote:
1. Crotch Strap, crotch strap, crotch strap, donít go into water with it.
Shouldn't it be "don't go into water without it" ?...?
Old 04-01-2013

RoryP23 is on a distinguished road

I will be attending the 2013 USNA/MTAM Safety at Sea seminar Saturday in Annapolis. My girlfriend and I are looking for a ride to downtown Baltimore/or Baltimore metro/light rail station after the event Saturday evening. Is anyone heading back to Baltimore?

Thanks,
Rory Finneren
Old 04-01-2013

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

Took the course a few years ago, what did you think when we were able to get into the 6 man life raft? Wasn't it roomy? Wouldn't it be fun to be in one with 5 of your closest friends offshore in a large seaway? The entire course was great, eye opening for sure.

Brad
Lancer 36
Old 04-01-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

This course sounds excellent.

I've done the pool exercise before with a life raft and it's and eye opener. We did it with survival suits on. It's hard! Sure they are warm and they float but they restrict movement. And the rope ladder under the life raft flops around as you try to climb in. Our group had to get an fairly heavy teammate into the raft...took 2 of us, one pulling inside, one pushing outside. Ain't exactly roomy inside either. After the experience, I don't think most of us would consider stepping down into a life raft.

I cannot imagine how hard it would be in survival conditions....or working under a chopper downdraft.

A course like this will change your view of survival equipment and maybe even save your life. Good for you taking the time to do it!
Old 04-01-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
I need to add this; if you are on your boat and the SAR helo drops a line to you in preparation of lowering a basket, do not hook the line to your boat. Just hold it. Hooking the line to your boat puts the helo in danger.
Jerry
To illustrate the point, here is a helo trying to tow a small boat in very calm waters. Lets see what happens....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
To illustrate the point, here is a helo trying to tow a small boat in very calm waters. Lets see what happens...........

MedSailor
Simple mistake. The boater forgot to ground the static wire first.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.