Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Interested in offshore sailing opportunity?

I put a posting in the 'Crew Wanted' section, but thought I would mention it here. Often people talk about wanting to gain offshore sailing experience and we need crew from South Africa to Brazil in the new year. We would prefer to find someone that we 'know' at least a little bit and having conversations on Sailnet is at least a start. If you are interested, check CW and get back to me with questions, either here or by PM.
Old 04-03-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Interested in offshore sailing opportunity?

This will be a fun voyage. i checked the flight from Philly to Cape Town in Dec is about $2300 and Newark NJ is about $1100. When I played with the dates, I got as little as $850.

But the flight from Salvador is very steep $2k to $3K. I need to look to other options to book.

So Bruce, what is the estimate time to cross the ocean to Salvador assuming no other place to stop - 24 days, assuming 6 kn 2350 nm ?

Time commitment is the most challenging for the non retiree.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Even retired, my wife still likes me enough to want me home almost every night.
Old 04-04-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This will be a fun voyage. i checked the flight from Philly to Cape Town in Dec is about $2300 and Newark NJ is about $1100. When I played with the dates, I got as little as $850.

But the flight from Salvador is very steep $2k to $3K. I need to look to other options to book.

So Bruce, what is the estimate time to cross the ocean to Salvador assuming no other place to stop - 24 days, assuming 6 kn 2350 nm ?

Time commitment is the most challenging for the non retiree.
I understand the problem of having a job - used to have one.

The two legs are:

Cape Town to St Helena - ~1700 nm
St Helena to Salvador - ~1900 nm

Our daily runs have been from 100 to 190 nm but for regular trade wind passages (which these are after you get a few hundred miles north of Cape Town), we usually use 120 nm/d for planning purposes (and hope to be pleasantly surprised - and we do not motor ver much) so the trip to St Helena is about 14 days and the trip to Salvador about 16 days. Not sure how long we would stay in St Helena, probably something like 4 days (seeing Napoleon's grave even if he is no longer resident). So, all told about 34 days, so it is a trip for a person of leisure. Also I do understand the costs of two long plane trips. We have a young couple crewing across the Indian Ocean but they are backpackers who find berths to cross the wet bits. They wanted to get from Asia to South Africa and were in SE Asia so it works well. I suspect we will find someone in South Africa who wants to cross, but thought we would ask here first.
Old 04-04-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I'd love to, k_s....
... but 34 days is a long to time to have to put up with me in a small space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I understand the problem of having a job - used to have one.

The two legs are:

Cape Town to St Helena - ~1700 nm
St Helena to Salvador - ~1900 nm

Our daily runs have been from 100 to 190 nm but for regular trade wind passages (which these are after you get a few hundred miles north of Cape Town), we usually use 120 nm/d for planning purposes (and hope to be pleasantly surprised - and we do not motor ver much) so the trip to St Helena is about 14 days and the trip to Salvador about 16 days. Not sure how long we would stay in St Helena, probably something like 4 days (seeing Napoleon's grave even if he is no longer resident). So, all told about 34 days, so it is a trip for a person of leisure. Also I do understand the costs of two long plane trips. We have a young couple crewing across the Indian Ocean but they are backpackers who find berths to cross the wet bits. They wanted to get from Asia to South Africa and were in SE Asia so it works well. I suspect we will find someone in South Africa who wants to cross, but thought we would ask here first.
I appreciate the opportunity that you gave to the sailnet members. I certainly welcome your post of needing crews. I have been following your blog for a few years. I grew up in HK I can related many thing in your blog. The trip is doable. It has a sufficient lead time to plan.

Picking up crews locally is definitely easier, besides you can have a face to face interview them before letting them come on board.

I will contact in a week or two. Thanks.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.