Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Catalina!!!

Last weekend turned out to be the time. It wasnt perfect, but close! We left Newport Harbor at 8 am on Saturday. Calm seas and no wind. We motor sailed the whole way at 6-6.5 knots. Total travel time exactly 5 hours. We could have pushed the motor harder, but we were not in a rush. Ate lunch, napped and then set out for a late afternoon sail as the winds picked up...AWESOME! Went to the back side of the island and saw things and beaches not accessible from land. Its been the same in some places for hundreds of years. Untouched. It was amazing thing that looking due west...there was no land until Hawaii. The forecast was for wind and rain at night. We got it! A little rain and a LOT of wind. Had a hearty breakfast then set sail. 15 foot BREAKING waves and 25 MPH winds. Winds were not as big as what we were in a few weeks ago, but these waves were breaking. No motor and just full main. I was thinking of reefing but the S30 has a pretty small main, it gets most power and control from the jib. We were doing 6-8 knots. the problem was it was tough to keep on course as the current kept pushing us south. We actually pushed farther north so if in a jam near harbor we could head downwind, rather than having to beat upwind in rough seas. The first 2 hours was tense and at some times violent! We took shifts on the tiller, I did ok, but I felt that at any moment a rogue wave would hit and I wouldn't know what to do. The previous owner took over in stretches. He was at the tiller when a rogue wave hit. All I heard was "HOLD ON!"...I looked up and saw a wall of water breaking above us about to hit us on the beam. He turned sharply into the wave at the last second and BAM! Sounded like an explosion....Water everywhere, and the 3rd crewman saying "Oh Yeah!!!!". I was drenched from head to toe...lucky I had the foul weather gear on! We noticed a white sail on the horizon behind us. We decided we were going to make sure we beat them to the harbor. We thought it was the Peterson 44 Cutter that we saw preparing to leave after us. A faster boat for sure with 2 headsails and a great big main. This made us forget about the wind and waves and focus on getting the boat to move. Open up our jib, and the boat went for 5.5 knots to 7! The wind calmed down a bit and the waves were big but not breaking...Probably 10 foot swells and 15-20 mph winds. This was almost perfect for this boat! It was near effortless to sail! These are also tired sails, I was wondering what we could do with new Cruising Laminate sails. The faster boat was gaining on us, but we were still keeping the boat moving! We ended up north of the harbor, so we jibed a few times and then hit the harbor close hauled at 6.9 knots! The boat eventually caught us right at the harbor entrance...it turned out it was a faster J/105 with full carbon sails! We felt pretty good to have made such good speed. I felt like I won the Around The World race or something...Amazed by the S30! What a great old boat...fast and stable, I never doubted its sea-worthiness...my doubts came from my lack of experience in those conditions, but I learned ALOT in probably as controlled an environment. 2 VERY experienced crew, one who owned and sailed the boat for 8 years before me in MUCH worse conditions. On the way over one of the batteries began smoking and I think its fried...I'll be replacing it. I just switched to my second battery and ran on one without a hitch. Other than that the boat came away unscathed and again I felt like I learned ALOT from it. Its amazing how far I have come...6 months ago I was afraid to leave the harbor, now I am stretching out. In total I sailed 80 miles in 2 days! GOOD TIMES!!!! Pics and videos to come!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Catalina!!!

Most excellent post, Newp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Great trip report.

I believe the only way to get experience is go get out and get it, taking care not to bite off more than you can chew, which is exactly what you accomplished.

You'll probably replay this trip in your head over and over anyway, so think about what you did right, where you could have improved, what you would have done if things had gone really bad, and use those lessons to build for your next adventure.
Old 04-03-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nice going, NN!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-03-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Catalina!!!

Sweet! I think you can drop the Newbie now.
Old 04-03-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Well done Newbie! Looking forward to the visuals
Old 04-03-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

Very cool, congrats! Pics!
Old 04-04-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I admit to being a little jealous of your easy access to the open ocean. The Chesapeake Bay can get rough, but it gets a nasty, short chop.

I'd definitely like to try my Pearson out in some large, rolling, ocean swells.
chrisncate likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-04-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I hear you ,bubbles. A little uppppp...dowwwnnnnnn would be nice instead of bang...bang...bangbang...

I hear they have pills for that, though.

Old 04-04-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I wonder why the waves were breaking? I gather the wind and current were both from the north?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.