SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Transient Slip in Norfolk (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/85804-transient-slip-norfolk.html)

flyingjib 04-04-2012 08:29 PM

Transient Slip in Norfolk

Hello,
My friend and I are planning to sail around DelMarVa peninsula on two boats this summer and we would like to spend a night in Norfolk and get transient slips. He has an 8' draft which limits places we can stay (mine is 5'). It would be nice to be able to walk to a decent restaurant/bar. Do you recommend any Marinas in the area? Do you have a favorite place? I really appreciate any suggestions/tips you might have.

Aaron

Tempest 04-04-2012 08:38 PM

Re: Transient Slip in Norfolk

I stayed at Tidewater Marina on a trip south one year. It's Portsmouth. It was a nice spot. Right near the intracoastal. Had dinner in portsmouth. I only draw, 3'11" but I'm guessing there's plenty of water.

Tidewater Yacht Marina - full service marina virginia

I stayed at a little creek marina once..coming back from Bermuda. I can't remember the name
though, It was late.. I remember it being in a rough neighborhood...locals told us to take a cab if we left...

I'm sure the locals or regular cruisers will have much better info for you.

PalmettoSailor 04-04-2012 09:07 PM

Hampton City Docks might work. There's not a lot of stuff in walking distance but the hotel with restaurant with bar is right there.

If that doesn't cut it for you, check out ActiveCaptain.com and have a look. There are plenty of marina's down there that might suit.

flyingjib 04-05-2012 04:08 PM

Great suggestions! Thank you very much!

Aaron

CD30Peregrine 04-05-2012 05:29 PM

If you want to take the time to go down the Elizabeth River to downtown Norfolk, There is the Waterside Marina, which has a Joes Crab shack and across the river in Portsmouth is the Tidewater Yachts Marina another suggested.

On the bay side, but through the bridge into Hampton Roads you've got Willoughby marina, good anchorage if you want it, they have decent bar/restaurant, pump out.

If you don't want to go through the bridge, Little Creek is good, not a great place to strech your legs, listen to the radio for the Navy traffic. They've changed the rules so figure it out first. There are four marinas there that have restauants. but my favorite is Cutty Sark, a locals type place w/live muic some nights, good food. call ahead, not a lot of transients and you may need to reserve the end of the pier for 8'.

cheoah 04-05-2012 07:35 PM

I stayed at Tidewater on my trip to Chesapeake a couple of years ago. I know there was a mexican restaurant, a locally owned restaurant and I forget what else. As far as walking distance, not a great food destination, but they have a small chandlery there onsite. Otherwise not a remarkable stop after coming in from offshore, but Portsmouth did have some redeeming qualities, being by the water, and um, being by the water..... I was only there a few days, I'm sure there's more to see and others can chime in.

Tempest 04-05-2012 07:51 PM

With regard to Portsmouth; my brother was stationed there at time, so they knew the town. I recall only walking about 5 blocks..to a neighborhood full of restaurants..
The summer evening walk was welcome after being on the water for days.

RichH 04-05-2012 08:02 PM

Tidewater is very good marina, but its in Portsmouth not Norfolk.

There is a marina AT "Waterside" at Norfolk but you usually need prior reservations ... also a good marina but nothing like Tidewater.

flyingjib 04-07-2012 10:46 PM

Thanks again.

Cruiser2B 04-08-2012 12:04 AM

if you are sailing delmarva, portsmouth is a bit out of the way...right past the in the most souther tube of the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel on the southern part of the bay is little creek inlet. you can stay at Bay Point Marina....plenty of depth for 8ft draft. you can even anchor between bay point and little creek marina..enough room for at least one or even 2 if you tie up together....have a great trip!

svsalacia.blogspot.com