SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Transient Slip in Norfolk

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Hello,
My friend and I are planning to sail around DelMarVa peninsula on two boats this summer and we would like to spend a night in Norfolk and get transient slips. He has an 8' draft which limits places we can stay (mine is 5'). It would be nice to be able to walk to a decent restaurant/bar. Do you recommend any Marinas in the area? Do you have a favorite place? I really appreciate any suggestions/tips you might have.

Aaron

#2 · (Edited)
I stayed at Tidewater Marina on a trip south one year. It's Portsmouth. It was a nice spot. Right near the intracoastal. Had dinner in portsmouth. I only draw, 3'11" but I'm guessing there's plenty of water.

Tidewater Yacht Marina - full service marina virginia

I stayed at a little creek marina once..coming back from Bermuda. I can't remember the name
though, It was late.. I remember it being in a rough neighborhood...locals told us to take a cab if we left...

I'm sure the locals or regular cruisers will have much better info for you.

#3 ·
Hampton City Docks might work. There's not a lot of stuff in walking distance but the hotel with restaurant with bar is right there.

If that doesn't cut it for you, check out ActiveCaptain.com and have a look. There are plenty of marina's down there that might suit.

#5 ·
If you want to take the time to go down the Elizabeth River to downtown Norfolk, There is the Waterside Marina, which has a Joes Crab shack and across the river in Portsmouth is the Tidewater Yachts Marina another suggested.

On the bay side, but through the bridge into Hampton Roads you've got Willoughby marina, good anchorage if you want it, they have decent bar/restaurant, pump out.

If you don't want to go through the bridge, Little Creek is good, not a great place to strech your legs, listen to the radio for the Navy traffic. They've changed the rules so figure it out first. There are four marinas there that have restauants. but my favorite is Cutty Sark, a locals type place w/live muic some nights, good food. call ahead, not a lot of transients and you may need to reserve the end of the pier for 8'.

#6 ·
I stayed at Tidewater on my trip to Chesapeake a couple of years ago. I know there was a mexican restaurant, a locally owned restaurant and I forget what else. As far as walking distance, not a great food destination, but they have a small chandlery there onsite. Otherwise not a remarkable stop after coming in from offshore, but Portsmouth did have some redeeming qualities, being by the water, and um, being by the water..... I was only there a few days, I'm sure there's more to see and others can chime in.

#10 ·
if you are sailing delmarva, portsmouth is a bit out of the way...right past the in the most souther tube of the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel on the southern part of the bay is little creek inlet. you can stay at Bay Point Marina....plenty of depth for 8ft draft. you can even anchor between bay point and little creek marina..enough room for at least one or even 2 if you tie up together....have a great trip!

svsalacia.blogspot.com

#12 ·
Little Creek is the least out of the way for a DelMarVa circle, or any trip to/from offshore to up the Bay. I like Vinings Landing Marina all the way up the creek on the left - the walk is shorter to West Marine and groceries, easy access to the airport, great staff. Most of the marinas in there are owned by Vinings Group so the policies are the same. Plenty of water depth everywhere. Surf Riders restaurant is quite decent if not elegant. Check ActiveCaptain.com and yelp.com for marina and restaurant reviews.

#13 ·
If I were going to make the Delmarva Loop, and headed south in Chesapeake Bay there are a couple places near Cape Charles, VA that boats with a relatively shallow draft (under 5-feet) may wish to consider. Bay Creek Marina, formally known as Kings Creek Marina, has really improved over the years. It has been quite a while since I last visited this place, but it's on my bucket list for the upcoming season. Bay Creek Marina - Virginia Is For Lovers

There is some dockage near the Coast Guard station in Cape Charles Harbor, but the last time I checked it was very limited. There are some new restaurants in Cape Charles too, including Bahama Breeze, a chain that serves excellent cuisine. It's a neat town to visit, lots of old, historic buildings that have been restored, but like any town on the Chesapeake's eastern shore, it is surrounded by tidal marsh. When the sun goes down, the skeeters take over.

If you don't really need dockage, then I would just drop the anchor in the sheltered waters behind the concrete Liberty Ships at Kiptopeke Landing. The area is protected from most westerly winds and there's a great state park to visit. Miles of picturesque beaches to explore and let the kids collect shells of all kinds.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

#19 ·
I will second these choices as well, i would however avoid Kiptopeke with any component of a north or south wind, very rolly and the current really moves through there. We stayed there 3 days last year....we had a great time, but had a 10-15kt southwest wind and is was rather rough...lots of powerboat fisherman, most were courteous and slowed down when passing...some did not.

Last fall we sailed to Cape Charles and stayed at the city docks. What a nice place and very helpful staff. Their docks are almost new and very wide. Restroom/bath house was also nice and very clean. I would recommend this place to anyone. There is not a whole lot in town, especially boat supply wise. There is however very nice pub, great tiny library and very cozy little cafe/coffee house. We stayed 2 days and it was about 80 bucks. BTW they have leaded fuel(atomic 4).

#17 ·
As Gary has suggested, Cape Charles is a good alternative.

Last year they added many slips outside the inner harbor that he might not be aware of, but 8 ft draft should not be a problem. Ph # is 757 331 2357, and good to check because they sometimes have groups there. Kelly's Pub is nice, and there may be another restaurant open at times.Old time hardware store with a couple of guys out front evenings with drinks in hand. Nice place to walk, and if a mile is too far to walk, there are golf carts you can rent to get over to Bay Creek Marina and their fancy restaurant. I wouldn't try to take 8 feet there directly other than at high tide.

#20 ·
I've been traveling to Cape Charles for the past 40 years or more, mainly to go fishing. The absolute best tautog action can be found on the east side of the Concrete Liberty Ships that make up the Kiptopeke Breakwater, I've caught and released black drum to 90 pounds at the Cabbage Patch, which is a sharp drop-off just west of Cape Charles Harbor, caught red drum to 60 pounds there too. Some of the best shark fishing in the mid Atlantic region takes place during July through September along the bay's eastern channel edge between Cape Charles and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT). Bull shark to 600 pounds, lots of spiny dogfish in the spring to 45 pounds, dusky shark to 150 pounds are not uncommon, and there's an occasional blacktip shark that shows up near the Inner Middle Grounds.

The area is rich in history, and the Inner Middle Grounds is where thousands of British ships met their fate. The shoal is less than 3 feet beneath the surface, yet it is situated near the middle of the bay. Consequently, the Brits thought the water was deep because of it's proximity to land, and ended up running hard aground. It's one of those places you must avoid when sailing across the Chesapeake's mouth or you could end up meeting a similar fate. The entire bottom is littered with millions of pounds of ballast stones from those British ships.

Just a short sail offshore, approximately 12 miles, is where you'll find Chesapeake Light. At one time there was a light-ship anchored there, but it was replaced with a lighted tower. Beneath the tower are roving schools of monster amberjack and jack crevalle. Additionally, some monster cobia to 75 pounds are taken from between the legs of the structure every year. A live spot long lined toward the tower legs is like rolling a wine bottle through a jail cell--it gets lots of attention.

The town itself has some incredible buildings, many of which date back to the late 1920s and 30s. The architecture is incredible and sometimes quite Gothic. An old friend, Captain Monty Webb, lived in the center of town many years ago and I had the opportunity to pay him a visit at home. The ceilings of he home were 12 feet high, it had a spiral staircase that resembled the one Clark Gable walked down in Gone With The Wind and all the windows were nearly floor to ceiling height. What an incredible home.

Cape Charles is definitely on my bucket list for this season,

Gary :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.