Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Spinnaker halyard for a furling jib??

Faster, yes, theoretically the halyard won’t chafe while sailing on the same tack (side) that the spinnaker halyard’s exit on its block. The problem manifests itself when you go over to the opposite tack. Then the line will chafe the underside of the headstay. The nightmare scenario would be the spinnaker halyard block “flipping over” in the same direction that you are unfurling giving you a partial wrap around the headstay and all the associated chafe and jamming potential. I’ve tried to run up a 2nd jib on a foil and I got binding during the hoist. So much that I installed a 2nd jib halyard. Can one use a spin halyard this way without a problem developing? Give it a try and report back. If it was me, I wouldn’t do it on a new to me boat, sailing across the “slot” on SF Bay for the first time. A properly functioning jib halyard is needed for the basic operation of a sailboat a spin halyard is optional. My suggestion is to re-rig it as a jib halyard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaysailing View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am picking up my new boat today - a 1978 Catalina 30! I'm really excited to get her to her new home and start the punch list of projects to get her ready for a summer of fun sailing. The first project is going to be replacing the jib halyard that broke this winter.
I'm wondering if I could sail her home today (across SF bay) using the spinnaker halyard as a temporary jib halyard....the jib is on a harken roller furling system......the spinnaker halyard, as far as i know, goes all the way to the mast head. Can anyone see any problem to doing this for the short ride home?
Thanks for your help!
cheers
greg
Having had a jib halyard wrap around the top of the furler in the middle of the bay, I can tell you that sitting on the bow for an hour just this side of the bay bridge trying to sort out the mess is an experience I'd rather not repeat. If the halyard DOES wrap, you get to manually wrap the jib around and around the furler.

I'm not saying don't do it JUST for the one time (though that WOULD be the cautious approach), just to watch carefully what's happening at the top as you furl and unfurl.

You could purchase a new jib halyard and get a rigger to install it before the trip. That's what I'd do I think. Didn't I just see a small craft advisory with gusts to 35 kts? That's a bad time to find out the furler's binding.

Where's the journey from and to? How short is short?

Last edited by MarkSF; 04-05-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Pick a time of day with the wind mostly from astern, and fly the spinnaker.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 04-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I'm with GeorgesB and the rest of the naysayers on this topic.

We 'accidentally' raised our jib using the spinnaker halyard and our Furlex 101 top unit would not deploy to the top of the stay and got jammed about 3/4 of the way up. PITA to recover from and potentially very bad for your jib if it is left to flog for too long. Not just mildly dangerous but embarrassing too.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.