Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Online yacht chooser

Hello All

it has been a while since I last posted with some very newbie questions.

I got the answers I needed, have been reading and researching since and now have a much clearer idea of what I want in a yacht (for my purposes).

In truth I know exactly the yacht I want... (an Oyster 46)
But it is currently out of price range and so until fortunes improve in the money department I am now once again scouring the classified ads for something nearer by grasp THIS YEAR! and I got to thinking...

Does a 'Yacht chooser' exist anywhere online?
And if not would there be sufficient interest in creating one?

What do I mean by a yacht chooser?

Well, essentially it would be a large database for second hand yachts with a clever search tool. perhaps similar to the search tools for a used car on this site blended with this site.

but you specify all things boaty as options to narrow choices/browse options etc.

If it already exists please can somebody post a link.

I think this kind of site would be very handy to help me narrow my choices now a little!

I am trawling through the classified but I am yet to find an 'advanced search' tool which is befitting of such a title.

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 04-05-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Online yacht chooser

yachtworld.com

Boats mostly in the USA.
DavidB.UK likes this.
Old 04-05-2012
is Awesome!

Hi Barquito,

thank you for the link, that site is marginally better than the others but is still nothing like as 'clever' as it could be.

for example:

If I want to search for say...

centre cockpit, with aft owners cabin with island double bed I still have to trawl through many, many ads to find the handful that might be laid out like that.

You understand what I'm getting at?
Old 04-05-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Right here at Sailnet. Post your wants and needs in order of priority and the vast collective knowledge will help you find your next boat. Don't forget a realistic budget
DavidB.UK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-05-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

In the US a good yacht broker provides this service. If similar practices prevail in the UK an hour with a broker will save you countless hours of searching.
DavidB.UK likes this.
Old 04-05-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Right here at Sailnet. Post your wants and needs in order of priority and the vast collective knowledge will help you find your next boat. Don't forget a realistic budget
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
In the US a good yacht broker provides this service. If similar practices prevail in the UK an hour with a broker will save you countless hours of searching.
Yes, both excellent ideas gentlemen thank you.

I do now have an idea of what I want and I am starting to look for an interim boat... until I can make the oyster a reality!

I will post my want in a moment...

Though the thought remains that when starting on such a search very often, you don't know what you don't know and so the kind of tool I an trying to describe I think would be useful for many.
Old 04-05-2012
is Awesome!

What am I looking for personally???

so right now budget is £50-£80k* depending on how long I want to wait before 'taking the plunge' but the sooner the better

*However I have just had a nosey on eBay and realised that there are actually boats which (at a glance) look quite reasonable listed for sale there for as little as £25k!

As I have said an Oyster 46 is where my heart really lies, I have been to the yard on Ipswich and had a look over a couple and fell in love!
but I also know that if I wait until that can be a reality i will surely miss out on lots of great sailing adventures in the mean time which could be had on a less erm... "extravagant" boat

As a live-aboard (which is my plan) I am rather taken with the idea of the centre island double bed in the aft cabin like this...

Though it is becoming increasingly apparent that this layout is very rare on smaller boats.

Size wise I have only me and the cat to accommodate right now so don't need a huge amount of space but headroom is definitely important. and on some of the boats I have been looking at even the boats as big as 39ft have (what appear to be) incredibly cramped cabins.

I have been looking at boats between 36-46ft but I realise that sailing short handed is increasingly difficult the bigger the boat...

Though probably about average height at 5'10" I do want to be able to stand up without being concerned about hitting my head!

I like the layout of a separate navigation desk/area with a back support arrangement as this will double as a good place for me to be comfortably be able to work.

until I have got some more experience sailing in coastal and offshore waters my boat will spend most of its life in the marina (as my home)

wow, that still sounds really vague I know, but I have an idea of what I want in my head but I am still struggling to explain it.

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 04-05-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

David, we also thought we wanted the aft cabin CC layout as live-aboards but realize the cabin is probably the place you spend the least amount of time. A large and well laid out salon and galley is much more important.

The problem with most 40 something CC production boats is that they try to maximize sleeping quarters at the expense of the salon. I do not need 3 private cabins in my boat. Give me 2 and a large salon and galley and I am happy.

The only boat I thought fit our criteria in a CC boat that was not 40 years old was the Freedom 45. But we decided against that one because we prefer aft cockpit.

Once we figured this out, our list of possible boats got newer and smaller. That is when we discovered the Caliber 40 and she has been an excellent boat to live aboard and sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-05-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
David, we also thought we wanted the aft cabin CC layout as live-aboards but realize the cabin is probably the place you spend the least amount of time. A large and well laid out salon and galley is much more important.

The problem with most 40 something CC production boats is that they try to maximize sleeping quarters at the expense of the salon. I do not need 3 private cabins in my boat. Give me 2 and a large salon and galley and I am happy.

The only boat I thought fit our criteria in a CC boat that was not 40 years old was the Freedom 45. But we decided against that one because we prefer aft cockpit.

Once we figured this out, our list of possible boats got newer and smaller. That is when we discovered the Caliber 40 and she has been an excellent boat to live aboard and sail.
Thank you Tim, I'll google those now...

My reasons for CC (from my limited 'newbie' knowledge) is that to achieve a spacious aft cabin, this 'appears' to only have been done on boats with a CC

I do not have enough knowledge to 'know' whether I would prefer (from a sailing POV) wether I would prefer centre of aft cockpit as all of the craft I have sailed myself have been with steered with a tiller (latterly had a Soling, which I sold in the spring of last year).

to come back to my OP for a moment, one of the things that I too realised is that I would much rather have 2 spacious cabins than 3 or 4 cramped cabins. I have discovered that this particular option is not available as a search option on any of the 'advanced search' options that I have found so far hence my OP wondering if there is any way to filter more effectively.
Old 04-05-2012

Chkm8 is on a distinguished road

Hi Gang .. still looking for a Beneteau 411 that needs rerigging for some reason .. $60k cash .. Thanks for looking Paul