Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012

rkapsi is on a distinguished road
Insurance for sailing in a club?

Hello,

I'm new and this is going to be my first summer of sailing. I joined a local sailing club here in NYC and was wondering if I'll need some kind of insurance in case something happens. I'm not worried about myself but other people's property and stuff.

Thanks,
Roger
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Insurance for sailing in a club?

Did you pay a damage deposit, if yes that should indicate the boats are insured, and you put down the deductible as a deposit, and get it back at the end of the year. In the case of an insured loss, your deposit goes first. You can confirm with the school.

What you might worry about is personal injury, which I would not think would be covered. You might have coverage under a homeowners policy...I forget but check that out.
Old 04-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If you have any type of insurance (home, renter, car?) you might ask your agent. If you have nothing, call to ask about renter's insurance for your apartment and a liability rider or umbrella coverage to cover the boats. If the boats have engines and are registered as motor vehicles--make sure to ask if that affects things.

No one in the club has looked at that before? Seems like something THEIR insurer should be able to offer their members, too.
Old 04-08-2012

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road

This is what my club requires.

"If you have a boat in the fleet, whether on a mooring or in a slip, you must provide current (dated and unexpired) proof of insurance that names (NAME OF CLUB) as an additional insured."

What is the boat? Some insurance company's require pic's of the boat and/or a marine survey.

What club in NYC?

Sincerely

Bill

Last edited by wmmulvey; 04-08-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

It depends if Roger joined a club that allows him to keep the boat at the club. If it's like two sailing clubs that I belong to, neither have a clubhouse and/or marina and members sign a contract saying that you are responsible for your boat when using it for club sails. Neither asks for proof of insurance.

Roger does not say what type of club he joined.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-08-2012

rkapsi is on a distinguished road

Hello,

it's the Offshore Sailing Club (Liberty Landing Marina, NJ). The boats are insured with a $1000 deductible and a $300 security deposit. Not sure what's covered and what's not but it doesn't really matter. This side of the pond is very sue friendly and I think it's a good idea to have some coverage on my own.

I have a few friends who have access to a private sailboat in City Island (Bronx) and an another friend has a summer leasing type of arrangement up the Hudson River. In these cases I'd be good to have something on my own.

I don't own any property and Renter's Insurance seems to be the way to go but which ones cover watercraft in a non-owning/club/tug along with friends setting?
Old 04-09-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

If I understand you correctly and you are sailing on club-owned boats, there is no additional insurance you need to buy. The club has to insure the boats and ensure that the members who use them know how to operate them. I'm not aware of any additional insurance you can buy to add since you are not the owner of the boat.

If you sail on a friend's boat, same thing. Your friend should insure his or her boat. Now, if you are operating a privately owned sailboat without the owner on board, the owner is taking a huge risk. Still, there is no additional insurance that you can purchase since you don't own the boat.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

DR, he's in NY. Where last time I checked, someone involved in an accident could sue both the owner AND the operator of a vehicle or vessel. So whether the club (owner) has any insurance would be a moot point. If he t-bones a stock broker and they're in traction for four months, he's still going to be sued to four months of lost income, and that could be over and above any club insurance as well.

Personal liability coverage should still be available, as would "operator's" insurance. You can buy motor vehicle liability insurance as a driver, even if you don't own a car, from some companies. How they'll treat "vessel" and "vehicle" I couldn't begin to guess, but in NYS a boat with an engine on it IS a "motor vehicle". Same registration out of the same office as a car.

RK-
NYS does have a Commissioner of Insurance, and they've got city offices. You might try calling them to ask whether they know what type of insurance is sold in NYS and applicable. And whether they think a boat iwth an engine is a motor vehicle.
Old 04-09-2012

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road

I own my boat and the yacht club I belong to requires that I carry liability insurance. I get that through my home owners insurance. It's not much money and the policy goes to $1,000,000 with an unbrella over all items insured, auto, home, etc.