SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   "I'm going to watch a race" protocol (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/85897-im-going-watch-race-protocol.html)

Sublime 04-07-2012 01:00 PM

"I'm going to watch a race" protocol

**Newbie question dead ahead!!**

I'm going to sail over and watch a local race. I've never seen an actual live race (just watch on TV) and where it is, I don't think there's a good place to anchor. There's a dam on one side and drop off rocky cliffs everywhere else except for where a marina is and an unofficial place where people swim, fish, launch dinghy boats/kiteboards/etc.

I don't want to get in the way and if there's a breeze, the hull of my boat is really good at getting blowing around. I think I can make a knot or two without the sails up on a light day. :rolleyes:

I've seen on TV where boats are watching races without an anchor (that I can see). What are they doing to stay in place? I don't have a sea anchor. I'm on a small local lake. I could do a rope and a bucket I guess?

msmith10 04-07-2012 01:12 PM

Re: "I'm going to watch a race" protocol

It's hard to predict where you'll be out of the way, but why not go to the starting area (on land) early and ask if anyone needs crew?
It's the best place to watch the race , and you'll learn something and have fun, too. Explain that you know how to sail but haven't raced but would like to learn some of the basics.

bljones 04-07-2012 01:27 PM

Or actively sail behind the fleet, rather than anchoring or drifting.

msmith10 04-07-2012 01:33 PM

By the way, those inland Texas sailors are very good light air racers.

bljones 04-07-2012 01:38 PM

At least, they think so.

Sublime 04-07-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith10 (Post 855526)
It's hard to predict where you'll be out of the way, but why not go to the starting area (on land) early and ask if anyone needs crew?
It's the best place to watch the race , and you'll learn something and have fun, too. Explain that you know how to sail but haven't raced but would like to learn some of the basics.

That's the plan, eventually, but I'd like to observe first. You have to pay entry fees to be in it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 855529)
Or actively sail behind the fleet, rather than anchoring or drifting.

Dude, I'd get lapped, maybe twice! :laugher

bljones 04-07-2012 01:40 PM

That's cool, you're spectatin', not qualifyin'.

Just stay outta the damn way.

msmith10 04-07-2012 01:49 PM

The boat owner pays the entry fees. It's free for the crew, except maybe for some sweat and beer.
Crewing for someone is a nonthreatening way to learn. If you state your experience up front, nobody should be expecting you to be a tactician.

hellosailor 04-07-2012 02:12 PM

Do they have a committee boat? A race committee of some kind?

The RC always needs a hand and usually is glad to have spectators onboard if there's room. A great place to hear comments & get a little extra insight while you're there.

ftldiver 04-09-2012 09:44 PM

find the NOR (notice of race), go to the skippers meeting (thursday?) and ask if anyone needs crew.

If you follow the fleet, do it with the engine so you don't take the wind from someone downwind. staying out of the way is only good if you are down wind, upwind you are blocking someone's clean air. -a sure way to be unloved.

and always bring gloves, good boat shoes, and ask if you should bring drinks or food. sometimes the owner provides all that, and extra weight is not appreciated.