Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Video of Jordan Series Drogue deployment...

OK, someone has to be the person to open their pie hole, might as well be me;

How does the MOD drill work with the drogue deployed? Considering storm conditions and I don't see any tethers or PFDs?

Did I miss something? Please put me in my place if I'm wrong.

p.s. I like the video very much.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
How does the MOD drill work with the drogue deployed? Considering storm conditions and I don't see any tethers or PFDs?
Nowhere in the JSD manual does it say "Do not wear tethers or PFDs while using the JSD."
Old 04-09-2012

larrytwo is on a distinguished road

I've used knotted lines as a drogue in the past... same idea i guess.

Member, Canadian Coast Guard aux, unit 55. 1980/1998
Old 04-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

There have been some great discussions on the JSD here:

Don Jordan and the Jordan Series Drogue

and

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...r-sailing.html

I was very skeptical early on...concerned about pooping and potential rudder damage with the stern-on orientation. But, I've since been persuaded that the JSD definitely rocks...via Jeanne Socrates' use in her run around Cape Horn and in the video above.

I still would love to see a video of the retrieval though (e.g. - how their retrieval line above worked).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-09-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I've been told it is dangerous to stand behind tow lines. Is there any fear of a line breaking on the JSD and snapping back into the cockpit?
Old 04-09-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't think the line snapping would be a problem, even if the break occurred relatively close to the bridle, especially if there were still some segment of the drogue in the water.

My major concern would be a wave coming over the stern and into the cockpit, which has occurred in the past with drogues deployed from the stern. Having witnessed a wave coming over the stern of a boat first hand, I wouldn't want this to happen to me. The boat didn't sink, but it came very close to going down, the cabin was rapidly flooded as was the engine compartment. Fortunately, the boat was quickly turned into the wind before the next wave struck, the bow kicked up violently, and the water in the cockpit rolled over the boat's low transom. This happened in Chesapeake Bay last year just a mile or two above Pooles Island during a brief, but powerful thunderstorm.

Now, in the above situation, it was a powerboat, but I would think the same rules apply. I'm still reading the above posted link and I'll make further comments when I'm finished perusing the text.

Good subject,

Gary
Old 04-09-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

With all the discussion about drogues lately, decided to sew up a parabolic type drogue last week. Will be interesting to try it out. Built out of seat belt webbing for just a few bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Video of Jordan Series Drogue deployment...-drogueweb.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Nowhere in the JSD manual does it say "Do not wear tethers or PFDs while using the JSD."
I was being a wise ass...sorry...
My observation was;
If the person in the video who is walking on deck with no harness/tether or visible PFD went over the side, having a drogue deployed might complicate getting her back on board.
Old 04-09-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I was being a wise ass...sorry...
My observation was;
If the person in the video who is walking on deck with no harness/tether or visible PFD went over the side, having a drogue deployed might complicate getting her back on board.
See also: Thread titled "What sailing knife do you use" for a solution the the above problem.
What sailing knife do you use?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-09-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It's my understanding that the major downside for the JSD is retrieval. I watched the vid a couple of days ago. I don't recall them actually showing the retrieval in real time. I have heard it can take hours.
The makers of the video said it was quite easy: see text below. I think their addition of the retrieval line to the bridle made a difference. The JSD, like a parachute IS usually a PITA to retrieve, but it's for use when other options fail. Perhaps their retrieval line will make the JSD something that is not only for "when everything else fails."

Adamlein, I agree that this is much more complex, expensive and PITA than heaving-to. Many IOR era boats don't heave to for squat though. Also, heaving-to usually requires sails or a drag device. If your sails are blown our, or your halyard malfunctions, or your mast is down, the drogue devices are your best bet as a last resort. Since I have a traditional full keel and a ketch rig, heaving-to will be the first tactic that I try, and the one I will get to practice with the most. I will, however, take a JSD with me for if the mizzen is not an option, and just for another card to play. After all, there really is no such thing as "practice" in true survival storms. For that reason I plan to take a regular drogue with me, in addition the the JSD, (even though the regular drogue and running before is a tactic that I don't think would suit my situation). In the big storms, it's always for keeps, so I think it pays to have options.

MedSailor

PS I love the home made gale-rider. I might have to make one myself

From the poster of the video:
Re: Series drogue attachment

Postby silascrosby Ľ Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:16 pm
I was able to deploy a Series Drogue twice on a recent trip from Easter Is. to Valdivia ,Chile. It is an excellent piece of gear. 124 cones from a Sailrite kit.

The attachment on my boat , a 36' steel built to a Brent Swain design aka Louis Riel , is to 1/2" SS chain plates that I welded on edge to the top of SS samson posts that are welded to and through the deck onto the hull. The large galv thimbles in the bridle are shackled to the chainplates. There was no chafe. If there had been I would expect failure very quickly. Lots of movement , stretching ,pitching and some yawing (too much gear windage on our boat).
Even in the relatively moderate conditions we experienced , the load on the gear was big. The bridle lines came bar taut and water squirted out of the rope.

The conditions on the first deployment were 35 -40 knots with steep breaking seas. No risk of pitchpoling but certainly of knockdown. We slowed from 6k with no sail up to 2.5k with the drogue out. Had a good night's sleep

It was easy to deploy and really quite easy to retrieve. I had tied on a 30' piece of line from the boat to the outboard end of the bridle to help retrieve. The retrieval took about 20 minutes in 12' seas and 15 - 20 k wind.

Because it was so easy the first time, we deployed it a second time just a day away from arrival in Valdivia when a very energetic front passed over us. The baro went from 1015mb to 985 in about 18 hrs. It blew hard. A lot of tree and other damage ashore , 70 miles away. However it didn't last more than 2 hrs and we retrieved the drogue this time in 25 - 30 knots of wind , again surprisingly easy. I had forgotten to tie on the retrieval line ,but a series of rolling hitches added about 10 minutes to the process.

Brent has suggested using the bridle line in some situations to make the bridle asymmetrical which would present the stern at an angle and reduce rolling. In our case the rolling became uncomfortable when the wind backed off in the wee hours of the morning.
The edges of the fabric cone are now a little frayed so I will now heatseal with a solder gun , another good winter project by the heater.

This JSD will be something I will use in much less than survival conditions, as well as in more severe
conditions.

We were able to get some video of the deployment which will go onto our website when editing is done.
Steve

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 04-09-2012 at 09:36 PM.