Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Video of Jordan Series Drogue deployment...

I just finished reading the test results posted earlier in this thread. It's a slow, boring read for most folks, but it's important information. First and foremost, most of the testing was done with scale models in test tanks. I couldn't find a single instance of real-world tests being conducted and reported.

Next, some of the statements made in the text were misleading to say the least. Particularly when they referred to heaving to and lying ahull to survive a storm. They claimed both methods were comparable, which is definitely not the case, and that capsizes were frequently reported while hove to, which is absolutely not true.

Nowhere in the text could I find anything about retrieval of the drogues, but I have found information in several books about this, all of which said was painfully slow, very strenuous, and often took half a day to retrieve 300 feet of drogue with small chutes.

They did report lots of problems with entanglement, which is also reported in other publications. Additionally, they reported less problems with entanglement using a standard parachute, also reported by Pardy in his books on Storm Tactics.

In the report they claimed that most of the boats that capsize are smaller craft measuring under 60-feet. Of course, that's what anyone with the mental intellect of a turnip would have concluded--even without the test. However, while hove to, Pardy's tiny 26-footer never came close to capsizing, it didn't take any breaking waves over the side, while in the same storm many larger boats trying to run on bare poles were either sunk, dismasted, or heavily damaged.

This summer, I hope to spend some time hove to in real nasty weather, mainly to determine where I need to set the rudder and sails to achieve that 50-degree attitude that is conducive to eliminating all forward motion, while at the same time slowing the sideways motion to less than 1-knot. By then, I'll have a new Zoom video recorder and I'll try to post some video of Pardy's techniques and how it actually quiets wave action on the windward side of the boat. So far I've only seen still photos of this, but I haven't had the opportunity to put it into actual practice.

These are the type of topics that should be of interest to everyone on the forum. Thanks to those that have contributed,

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Trav - that's why you should read through the threads I linked to above. Especially in the Heavy Weather thread there are several accounts of usage in serious storms (toward the end of that thread) that I mentioned from reading Hal Roth's "Handling Storms at Sea" book (highly recommended). Though he wouldn't say it specifically in that book, the JSD was the clear winner in his tests and comparisons.

I used to be a Pardy-esque sea anchor proponent. After everything I've read since then, from people that have actually used both in the stink, I'm not anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-10-2012

Smack,

I'll check them out tomorrow afternoon when I get home. My eyes are still blurry from reading the other one.

Thanks for the links,

Gary
Old 04-10-2012

Smack,

Thanks for the links, they provided lots of information. I noted that using the JSD required some special rigging of additional chain-plates in order for the boat's hull to withstand the increased load. Also took note of the method of retrieval, which to me, seemed to be a lengthy, arduous procedure.

Fortunately, I have a friend that has a similar drogue, probably a cheap knock-off, and I'll play around with it during one of the many summer thundershowers I encounter every season. I'll report my findings on the sail net--good or bad.

Thanks again for the links,

Gary
Old 04-10-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Gary- here's someone's idea I stumbled on a while ago. There are several threads on how they attach the bridal to their boat as well, but this retrieval method seems fairly simple and gives you another excuse to go buy more power tools!

How To Retrieve The Jordan Series Drogue

Ray
Old 04-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

One other interesting thing from Roth's book is a pretty cool retrieval idea for the JSD (retrieval being its Achilles' Heel). Check this out...

The question he has is how the windlass would handle the cones. So who knows? But it's the coolest idea I've seen in a while. Anyone want to test it?

Old 04-10-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

Adding more clever gimmicks does not make the process seem simpler to me. Cleverer, less. Less dependent on brute force, yes. Less of a PITA, no.
Old 04-10-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Adding more clever gimmicks does not make the process seem simpler to me. Cleverer, less. Less dependent on brute force, yes. Less of a PITA, no.
Okay, how about if I also throw in 3 dancing girls and a humpback midget?

Old 04-10-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

Make it 4 dancing girls, the humpback, and a shrubbery and maybe you'll have yourself a deal...
smackdaddy likes this.

Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 04-10-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

But only if the dancing girls are willing to help pull in that JSD
AdamLein likes this.

Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.