Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help finding perfect boat!

If and when you pick a boat let me know! I also share your crazy dream go green. I also like to dive. I do not get to much work, kids, $$ live in KY. dry land miles from anyplace. I am slowly making it all come together. I think the cat is an idea I have kicked around some. I was also looking at some of the Hunters as they seem to have a scoup in the rear. A cabin may not be all bad if you need to warm up after the dive. I have yet to dive in warm waters so that might not be an issue in the Keys. Do you get cool after a dive at depth lets say it is a night dive cabin might be nice? Can not say as I have not done this. I like the idea it is green! You burn little fossil fuel. Enjoy the outside world doing little harm to the environment. It be maybe a big compromise but worth the effort. Please keep me up to date. The $$ factor is what I see as the highest wall to overcome

Last edited by Lou452; 04-09-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSail74 View Post
.....something under 5k.

....Florida Keys reefs (1-3 miles off shore in 30-60 foot water) and scuba dive.

The boat should be at least 18 feet in length.

I do not have the time, space or patience with a cabin.
crab traps, scuba gear, research gear, kayaks, you name it....

I have yet to find a boat that doesn't have a cabin yet can still withstand the conditions off the Keys.
Okay....thinking more on this...I still believe a sailboat is a poor platform for what you want...but as Lou said to me "say oil is illegal"....and all we have are sailboats. No power boats....no gas.

Well...I would rethink the cabin thing. You don't have to use it as a cabin, but it can be a GREAT storage space for all your gear, keeping the cockpit free for operations....diving, crabbing, etc....and still provide some shelter if a shower pops up on ya.

You will need something that sits low enough in the water that you can get in/out easily. Rig a strong ladder....setup the main halyard for use as a crane to haul gear out of the water....so you're not climbing aboard kitted up. Boat must be large enough to handle offshore conditions, but in your budget this means ONLY very good weather! Also, a deep keel is out...it's the Keys and there are shallows...so a shoal draft, wing keel, or swinger.

$5k to spend....Hmmm....look around for a solid catboat. You may be hard pressed to find one in your budget, but for a sailing, working craft, they're gonna be hard to beat. Big open cockpit, decent little cabin for storage, shelter, they're built like little tanks.....nice draft with a full keel, most have small inboards.....
CaptFoolhardy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 04-10-2012

ScubaSail74 is on a distinguished road

Maybe it's not the ideal choice...

1. I don't want to have a power boat because I'm ever increasingly trying to use less gasoline. Although I will have to rely on it... it's not the only way to power the boat.

2. I will sail. I **** you not, it's not just for diving.

3. I understand the difficulty it will be to get in and out of the boat. I imagine a proper ladder will do the trick. I am confident in that. Plus these Pearson Ensigns look like they can do the trick.

4. I can't imagine power boating to the remote keys for camping and kayaking... the experience is in the means not just the end.

5. How do I say this... I prefer sailing. If that means climbing up a ladder and/or pulling gear out of the water so be it. Why would I let a 15 second procedure steal the wind?
Old 04-10-2012

Joe Diver... you're right it's not ideal, but I'm not high maintenance. However, that's not part of the discussion really... did this post say anything about "Diving: wind or gas?"

The traditional cabins that you see on Hunters, etc, is the specific reason I posted on this form. Yes it does store things and protect you from the elements, but I'm not interested in that for many reasons. The weather is amazing down here, and sometimes it gets pretty hot... no reason to be uncomfortable with more than two people on the boat. Thus yeah a cat... but I'm not at that level yet... down the road I'd like to work up a nice chunk of cash for a nice cat...

Thanks for the advice on the - so a shoal draft, wing keel, or swinger - if you happen to have a real-life example of what I'm going to buy, please suggest something.
Old 04-10-2012

@Lou

Yes - you come out of the water with a decreased body temperature...especially the winter months. If you're feeling it pretty good then I suggest everyone to bring a full outfit of dry clothes. It's important for the women to get their hair dry. But once you're dry and the sun is still shining, you feel refreshed.

On a night dive - Again the same issues, get dry clothes on, dry feet in socks, hat if needed. However, since the weather is so nice, we're not eager to dive in colder conditions.

Either way, it's like anything else, have the right gear to stay dry and never put yourself in a situation where you're cold and wet. Keep in touch.
Old 04-10-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

Hey ScubaSail, My brother-in-law is selling a Chrysler 20 for like 2000 (but in NJ). These boats have a huge cockpit and tiny little cuddy. We owned the boat for a while and could easily sail with 6 people on the boat. It's a swing keel with a ~2.5 draft with board up. Might work, check it out.

http://www.examiner.com/sailing-in-g...boat-ever-made

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 04-10-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Maybe you should get a hobie cat and modify it by putting a deck on it with some places to tie down gear, a small ladder, and a mount for a something like a 2 hp outboard.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 04-10-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSail74 View Post
that's not part of the discussion really... did this post say anything about "Diving: wind or gas?"
Best of luck to you.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 04-10-2012

@Joe - I'm sorry if I sounded crass or something, but I just don't know how or why anyone would talk about a power boat solution... it's like having a client saying they want to have their portraits shot in black and white and the photographer keeps talking about the benefits of color photography. I'm not really following it. But I do give you a hundred thanks for bringing up the hull considerations. If you do have a real-world example of an ideal (non cat) sailboat that accommodates the idea of working the side of the boat, then please let me know.
Old 04-10-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity, how many years scuba and sailing experience do you have? You might consider that some of the posters here can help you with their own past experiences/mistakes.

I understand you do not want a power boat but those suggesting ones are trying to help you. No need to cop an attitude. If you are not willing to consider alternatives then sailing may not be for you because it is full of compromises.

As for a cabin, you may think you can control the conditions but if you have spent any time in Florida, you would know that showers/squalls can come up at any time and having a cabin is a plus.

-----------------------------------------------------