SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need help finding perfect boat! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/85977-need-help-finding-perfect-boat.html)

ScubaSail74 04-09-2012 04:30 PM

Need help finding perfect boat!

Hello, I need help finding the ideal boat for me.

Right now, I'm looking for something under 5k.

The purpose would be mainly to get out to the Florida Keys reefs (1-3 miles off shore in 30-60 foot water) and scuba dive.

The boat should be at least 18 feet in length.

The catch? I do not have the time, space or patience with a cabin. We'll be getting in and out of the boat with crab traps, scuba gear, research gear, kayaks, you name it....

I have yet to find a boat that doesn't have a cabin yet can still withstand the conditions off the Keys.

Would I have to customize something? It's a shame that nobody wants to use the deck of their sailboat.:hothead

ScubaSail74 04-09-2012 04:33 PM

Re: Need help finding perfect boat!

This isn't too bad, but I wonder if it can handle some waves.

Pearson Ensign sailboat for sale in Maine

peterchech 04-09-2012 04:39 PM

A small cape dory might do it as well, just make sure it has positive flotation ;)

To be honest, a largish beach cat would be easy to get on/off of, and they are extremely seaworthy.

Faster 04-09-2012 04:45 PM

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you're looking for an old Boston Whaler....;)

Tim R. 04-09-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 856305)
Hate to say it, but it sounds like you're looking for an old Boston Whaler....;)

Or a large pontoon boat.

A small sailboat is really not a good platform for diving. Any boat in rough seas will be difficult to get in and out of the water without hurting yourself or equipment.

CorvetteGuy 04-09-2012 05:00 PM

Sound like any centre console powerboat is in you favor boston whaler being the best for 5 g's there are plenty to chose from in da keys. Look around, if you look up sailboat in the dictionary it states..... a hole in da water which one throws time and money into.....you got no time:)

bljones 04-09-2012 05:11 PM

Sea Pearl trimaran
But, might be outside of your budget.

Sublime 04-09-2012 05:24 PM

You'll have to look to see if the layout would work. There's a large trunk in the middle for the lead centerboard.

Drascombe Lugger

The bigger version is called the long boat (21' or 22' IIRC). They're rare here in the states though, long boats even more so.

Silvio 04-09-2012 07:02 PM

Look around at the boats taking divers out and around Pennekamp, there is a reason you don't see a lot of sailboats out there. Those reasons are mostly what you state in your criteria of large clear deck, space for crab pots, price, etc. With all that in in mind you are probably looking at an older smaller trawler or a cuddy cabin motor boat. Older Boston Whaler? Any reason why you are looking for a sail boat for diving the keys? Most of your dives will involve either motoring at least one way or tacking like crazy to get in or out a short ways to dive.

JoeDiver 04-09-2012 07:56 PM

A sailboat is a poor choice for what you need.