Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather window? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
charter the the smallest boat you can in in the Virgin Island, and sail a charter boat between two nations (e.g., Guadeloupe and Dominica).
haha you don't seem to comprehend how small my budget is...

but otherwise, sound advice thx!

I love sailing, and have been sailing for almost 3 years every single day I possibly can, I built my own small (open) sailboats in college when I couldn't afford to buy one, I love fixing boats, and when I come back long after sundown having sailed for 8 hours in 20-25 knots I don't start the motor until the last possible moment before getting into the marina...

it's a question of, at this early point in my career, when the future is promising (in a conventional sense) if I just stay put in my relatively comfortable job, when I have a mountain of student debt that will NEVER go away, whether I should just cast it all to the wind and follow my heart, or whether in 20 years I would truly regret that decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather wind

If you have debt, how do you plan on paying it off?

If you don't go you will likely regret it, but that doesn't mean go off half cocked.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
If you have debt, how do you plan on paying it off?
At the rate I'm paying it off now, on a decent salary, it will take 25 years. Over 115 K. Mortgage without a house. I'm sooooo close to just saying f*&# it...

Last edited by peterchech; 04-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
or whether in 20 years I would truly regret that decision
Yes, you likely will... If what you have is all you can get, and you have a passion to do this, I say go for it. Keep the plans loose though, head south and get a feel for cruising, longer weather patterns and your boat (I know you've sailed it a lot, but living on board and sailing it will be a totally different experience) Getting a feel for how quickly you grow restless, or how long you can wait out a weather window, how many stores you can keep on board and how many stops you need to resupply. Head south, and make the decisions as you go. Head to the Bahamas or stay in the US, you'll know what you want to do and what you can do by the time you get there. Either way, you'll be happy you did in 20 years.

EDIT: This was not taking into account your debt you posted about while I was writing, that could through a big wrench in things. Student debt is usually not an easy thing to walk away from. If you don;t have plans to make at least the minimum payments for a year our two while your out there, you might not be able to come back! I'm no financial guy, so I can't give advice there..

Last edited by IslanderGuy; 04-10-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2012

CaptFoolhardy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
it's a question of, at this early point in my career, when the future is promising (in a conventional sense) if I just stay put in my relatively comfortable job, when I have a mountain of student debt that will NEVER go away, whether I should just cast it all to the wind and follow my heart, or whether in 20 years I would truly regret that decision
I presume that by this you mean turning your back on the financial institution that loaned you the money to attend college and walk away from your student loan. If this is incorrect you can skip to the next post.

I would never advise someone to do what you are considering for two reasons: 1. It's wrong. These people loaned you a lot of money to get through school on the express condition that you pay them back (with interest). To renig on that promise now simply because you feel like going sailing is a pretty dickish thing to do. 2. Defaulting on a loan will do enough damage to your credit rating that it will ensure that you will never be able to afford a boat any better than one you can buy with the cash you have in your pocket. That you will CERTAINLY regret in 20 years.

If you are as young as you sound like you are my advice to you would be to bide your time. The sea will always be there. There will always be boats to take you where you want to go. Definitely keep sailing your Hunter in your local waters but wait until you're debt free to "follow your heart".

One piece of advice that I will offer going forward is to be circumspect when forming intimate relationships. If, while you are waiting to go cruising, you find yourself head over heels with someone whose idea of nirvana is a house in the 'burbs with a white picket fence and 2.5 rug-rats you may find your dream being pushed decades down the road. On the other hand if you can find someone who shares your dream then perhaps once all your bills are paid you'll be able to sail off together.

Best of luck to you,
Bob
Old 04-10-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

I agree that while you may want to just go now and forget about everything else, you would regret ruining your credit in the future. Unfortunalty sailing is expensive, even doing it cheaply, and you will ALWAYS need to fix/buy/upgrade the boat you have. So unless you are going to have wads of cash in your pockets I wouldn't recommend closing the door of credit just yet.

That being said, you could try and make a compromise. Try to find a job where you can work from home aka work from boat. Or a job that you can do for 6-8 months of the year and make a good amount of money. ie many construction type jobs, some teaching jobs, and a myriad of online jobs or support jobs that can be done over the phone.

Just be aware if you bail on your loans that it will probably have a negative impact on many things for the rest of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 04-10-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

start with short trips and as you stop scaring yourself, go farther and farther until you are there.....wherever there is or may be....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFoolhardy View Post
I presume that by this you mean turning your back on the financial institution that loaned you the money to attend college and walk away from your student loan. If this is incorrect you can skip to the next post.

One piece of advice that I will offer going forward is to be circumspect when forming intimate relationships. If, while you are waiting to go cruising, you find yourself head over heels with someone whose idea of nirvana is a house in the 'burbs with a white picket fence and 2.5 rug-rats you may find your dream being pushed decades down the road. On the other hand if you can find someone who shares your dream then perhaps once all your bills are paid you'll be able to sail off together.
All good advice...

I don't exactly feel bad for the student loan lenders, they give out loans because they are practically GUARANTEED payment (although there is talk that this will be the next financial crisis, as college grads can't find jobs that pay enough to pay their loans- I am nearly at that point and I have what would traditionally have been considered a great profession). One also has pretty much no choice but to pursue advanced degrees nowadays, and the cost of education has been going up at 4x the rate of inflation for decades (less and less government subsidization of education- my parents went to college for free on grants/scholarships that are not there for my generation)... I wouldn't just stop paying those loans, but maybe put them in forbearance, with the knowledge that I will probably die with these student loans no matter what I do. Hell our president still had student loans until he got the proceeds from his first book, and he went to Harvard Law School...

So... haha 3 days is the window huh?
Old 04-10-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
All good advice...

I don't exactly feel bad for the student loan lenders, they give out loans because they are practically GUARANTEED payment (although there is talk that this will be the next financial crisis, as college grads can't find jobs that pay enough to pay their loans- I am nearly at that point and I have what would traditionally have been considered a great profession). One also has pretty much no choice but to pursue advanced degrees nowadays,
You always have choices.
You could a) take a semester off to pay for the next semester, b) go part time while you worked full time to pay for it, c) gone to a local state school, or d) take out a loan and worry about it later.
You chose d). I'm not going to beat you up for your choice, but I am going to give you a little grief for how you feel about it. No one put a gun to your head to take out that loan. Now, you own it. So, OWN it. Now is the time to be a big boy and create a five year plan. Yeah, I know you're in your 20s, you're supposed to be having fun, not doing whitebread suburban middle class dad stuff like planning...
but that is what you have to do when you are carrying an ADULT debt.

Just as you don't feel bad for the student loan lenders, I have a really hard time feeling bad about your financial burden when you have bought a boat.

You want to be free? Pay your student loan the fluck off, as fast as you can. Work the overtime, get a part time job with a stupid hat if you have to, sail you ass off every free day you have, take your two week vacation every year and gunkhole, and if you can kick an extra $500 a month toward that albatross, it will be gone before you are 30, and you will own your life. You will be one of the most dangerous men alive- a a man with no debt and a boat.

or you can make the choice to be like the rest of the sheep and bitch about being owned by the bank.

Old 04-10-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

btw, our boat has been to the Bahamas and back, up the eastern seaboard to the maritimes, and now cruises the Great Lakes. She certainly is no heavy displacement cruiser and your boat has a foot or so of waterline on ours. It's doable. But hell, you can spend weeks just exploring LI Sound and the Hudson if you wanted.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.