Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather window? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Wow I really didn't expect this thread to get so political...

I'll just say this in answer to some of the vitriol.
The vitriol isn't directed at your work ethic, or your education, or your boat... it was a reaction to your cowardice and the rationalization and justification you offer for it. You were intimating that you wanted to sail away from the debt that you incurred getting those degrees that you were smart enough to get while being stupid enough to not figure out that surprise! it was going to take you decades to pay off.
What part of term and amortization did you not understand?

Surely at some point in your 2 decades of formal education you could have said, "uh, this doesn't make fiscal sense."
But you didn't.

So, now your solution is to let us, the people who gut it out and hang in there and bust our asses to get through the tough times, carry your weight too, while you sail off?

Hey college boy, did you think that the debt suddenly goes poof if you decide not to pay?

In the real world, which you are now a part of, that debt gets paid by everybodydamnelse in the form of higher interest rates, higher insurance premiums and tighter lending restrictions.

But it won't affect you, because you will be off sailing away... wheeeeeee.

If you are working 60 hours a week and you are still broke, buy a clue- it's not your student debt that is the problem. If indeed you did work your ass off while getting your degrees and still racked up $115K in debt, you should have seen the warning signs- your money management sucks.

Isn't being a grown-up and interacting with grown-ups fun?
CaptFoolhardy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48
Re: Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather wind

I think there should just be a new thread entitled "Know it all Old Farts vs. Entitled Lazy Kids". Sound Good?
IslanderGuy and CaptFoolhardy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 04-11-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
The vitriol isn't directed at your work ethic, or your education, or your boat... it was a reaction to your cowardice and the rationalization and justification you offer for it.

...your money management sucks.

Isn't being a grown-up and interacting with grown-ups fun?

The fact that you hold such strong opinions about a person you have never met based solely on a few posts on an internet forum says alot about your capacity for sophisticated thought.

But it's OK, you can have the last word. Go for it.
Old 04-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

They aren't opinions- they are conclusions based on the evidence provided. If you don't like the conclusions others draw about you, do something about it.

Thanks for giving me permission to have the last word, junior. Not that I needed it, but it says something about your opinion of yourself and your place in the world that you offered it.

Rookie, if you don't want people to take shots at you, don't wear a bullseye, and don't hand them fresh ammo.

You're really new at this adult stuff, ain't you?

btw, can somebody please get this thread back on topic?

Old 04-11-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Getting back to the topic.

I think the OP mentioned somewhere that they have a Hunter 25 which I believe has an outboard auxiliary. This means that you will not be able to motor sail when conditions get lumpy as the the prop will be out of the water half the time.

Bahamas would be easy just take your time and pick a good weather window but make sure you have the charts for the inlets if you have to bale out back to Florida.

Dry Tortugas to would be OK.

But I think that would be as far as I would go unless you want to circumnavigate on the milk run. However you would run the pirate risk just now so maybe that is out.
Old 04-11-2012

What is "I-65"? And what is the "milk run"?
Old 04-11-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
What is "I-65"? And what is the "milk run"?
Both of these are terms that reference taking advantage of global wind patterns.

I-65 vs the Thorny Path are explained well on this page:
Indigo Moon - Offshore Passage to BVI

Milk Run is basically a term that references taking advantage of prevailing winds when sailing....meaning no beating/no bashing.
Old 04-11-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
btw, can somebody please get this thread back on topic?
OK, I'll bite...

What's a "Weather Window"? One of those clear things the weatherguessers rarely seem to look through to see what's going on outside, perhaps?

Chris Parker is about as good as there is when it comes to forecasting East coast/Western North Atlantic marine weather... Late last week, he gave the green light to cruisers heading north along the SE coast, and all the forecast models and prognostications seemed to agree... Fairly benign SW flow, interrupted by "a series of weak reinforcing dry cold fronts" - in other words, a bit of "frustrating" sailing conditions as winds clocked thru 360 degrees with the passage of these fronts, but no big deal... No squalls associated with these passages, winds in the 15-20 knot range, max, and the breeze retuning to light to moderate SW quickly thereafter...

I ran out of Sapelo Sound late Sunday morning, beautiful sailing wing & wing thru the afternoon... By the time Bubba Watson was putting on his very well deserved Green Jacket Sunday night, the breeze was a steady 25, and the seas had built quickly, in the steep confusion typically found in the shoal waters off the Georgia/S Carolina coast...

The first of these "Weak reinforcing fronts" came thru early Monday morning, and offered some decent, if not pretty sporty sailing, for as long as it blew NW... Well, that lasted for about an hour... Then it came straight NE, at a solid 25-30... Seas now built quickly in an opposition train to what had developed overnight out of the SW, and to describe the conditions as a washing machine would still be an understatement...

I was about 15 miles off Charleston, making little towards my destination on either tack, and getting beat up pretty good in the bargain. So, I parked it for about 6 hours, got some rest, and resumed sailing when it came SE, and then SW… By the time I approached Frying Pan Shoals yesterday morning, it had been blowing pretty good all night, and the seas were up once again… Another front came thru, wind came NW, then died… motored for about an hour, wind building again from the SW, quickly back up to 25…

By the time I approached Beaufort Inlet about 2300, conditions had gotten pretty sporty, breeze pretty steady between 25-30… Good news was, I was arriving on a flood tide, I don’t even want to think what the seas there would have been like on the ebb… Bad news was, I was arriving at precisely the passage of yet another of these “weak reinforcing cold fronts”… This one did contain squall activity, lots of lightning off to the NW, and occasional gusts to 40… I poured myself a VERY tall Manhattan after the hook went down off Beaufort just after midnight, and I’ve spent a good part of the day today putting the boat back together, and licking my wounds… The crew of a Hylas 49 that arrived shortly before me sounded fairly shaken by their ordeal, and I expect the guy might have some trouble convincing his wife the next time around, to jump outside again on the promise of a good “Weather Window”…

Two points to all this… first, the notion of a weather window is merely a concept, nothing more… I and others were simply making a coastal passage, never more than about 30 miles offshore… But, I’m sure glad I didn’t have to deal with either the conditions I encountered off Charleston on Monday, or approaching Beaufort last night, in a boat like a Hunter 25…

Sure, you can go places with that boat, no doubt about it… But I’d suggest as a general rule of thumb, you’d want to stay within sight of land… The exception might be crossing over to the Bahamas, that could certainly be doable… I think TQA has it exactly right, venturing much beyond the Bahamas in such a boat, probably not a very good idea…

Only one way to find out, of course – get out there and give it a whirl , and ultimately make your OWN decision as to the suitability of your boat for what you have in mind…
lancelot9898 likes this.
Old 04-11-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Great Post as usual Jon...
In a Hunter 25...I would only do Bahamas or Tortugas or small jumps after May or so...over-niters though... and be somewhere protected by 1pm or so the next day....
By mid-May,. South Florida/Bahamas is fairly free of strong Northerly winds from cold fronts and strong SW flows that arrive before them...and by late May the area is nearing the season where you'll see puffy little clouds in the mornings building into afternoon t-storms. Wth a late evening departure after 10 pm the night before (after the t-storm threat is over) from a place like N Key Largo...you could make the 44 miles overnite to say...Bimini...and be anchored in Bimini with some protection by early afternoon "T-time"... a.k.a thunderstorm-time...just some thoughts...but getting a solid base of coastal experience before heading offshore is invaluable....and IMHO recommended highly if you haven't already...

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
OK, I'll bite...

What's a "Weather Window"? One of those clear things the weatherguessers rarely seem to look through to see what's going on outside, perhaps?

Chris Parker is about as good as there is when it comes to forecasting East coast/Western North Atlantic marine weather... Late last week, he gave the green light to cruisers heading north along the SE coast, and all the forecast models and prognostications seemed to agree... Fairly benign SW flow, interrupted by "a series of weak reinforcing dry cold fronts" - in other words, a bit of "frustrating" sailing conditions as winds clocked thru 360 degrees with the passage of these fronts, but no big deal... No squalls associated with these passages, winds in the 15-20 knot range, max, and the breeze retuning to light to moderate SW quickly thereafter...

I ran out of Sapelo Sound late Sunday morning, beautiful sailing wing & wing thru the afternoon... By the time Bubba Watson was putting on his very well deserved Green Jacket Sunday night, the breeze was a steady 25, and the seas had built quickly, in the steep confusion typically found in the shoal waters off the Georgia/S Carolina coast...

The first of these "Weak reinforcing fronts" came thru early Monday morning, and offered some decent, if not pretty sporty sailing, for as long as it blew NW... Well, that lasted for about an hour... Then it came straight NE, at a solid 25-30... Seas now built quickly in an opposition train to what had developed overnight out of the SW, and to describe the conditions as a washing machine would still be an understatement...

I was about 15 miles off Charleston, making little towards my destination on either tack, and getting beat up pretty good in the bargain. So, I parked it for about 6 hours, got some rest, and resumed sailing when it came SE, and then SW… By the time I approached Frying Pan Shoals yesterday morning, it had been blowing pretty good all night, and the seas were up once again… Another front came thru, wind came NW, then died… motored for about an hour, wind building again from the SW, quickly back up to 25…

By the time I approached Beaufort Inlet about 2300, conditions had gotten pretty sporty, breeze pretty steady between 25-30… Good news was, I was arriving on a flood tide, I don’t even want to think what the seas there would have been like on the ebb… Bad news was, I was arriving at precisely the passage of yet another of these “weak reinforcing cold fronts”… This one did contain squall activity, lots of lightning off to the NW, and occasional gusts to 40… I poured myself a VERY tall Manhattan after the hook went down off Beaufort just after midnight, and I’ve spent a good part of the day today putting the boat back together, and licking my wounds… The crew of a Hylas 49 that arrived shortly before me sounded fairly shaken by their ordeal, and I expect the guy might have some trouble convincing his wife the next time around, to jump outside again on the promise of a good “Weather Window”…

Two points to all this… first, the notion of a weather window is merely a concept, nothing more… I and others were simply making a coastal passage, never more than about 30 miles offshore… But, I’m sure glad I didn’t have to deal with either the conditions I encountered off Charleston on Monday, or approaching Beaufort last night, in a boat like a Hunter 25…

Sure, you can go places with that boat, no doubt about it… But I’d suggest as a general rule of thumb, you’d want to stay within sight of land… The exception might be crossing over to the Bahamas, that could certainly be doable… I think TQA has it exactly right, venturing much beyond the Bahamas in such a boat, probably not a very good idea…

Only one way to find out, of course – get out there and give it a whirl , and ultimately make your OWN decision as to the suitability of your boat for what you have in mind…
Interesting Jon. I mean, is there any true "window" though? How many days were you out past the prediction before the prediction turned out to be wrong? Is a forecast good for at least 48 hours? 24? none?