Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather window? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12345 View Post
Well, this is all relative to your need of (perceived) safety.
The boat you have is probably about as seaworthy as the Santa Maria was. Maybe even a bit more.
The one that ran aground?

Internal ballast, leaky wooden construction, nothing close to a flush deck, not much of a keel and nothing like an effectively shaped rudder, no drogue or sea anchor invented yet...

Those guys had cohones man...

and a very high percentage never came back...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruisers: what kind of trips can be made by non-bluewater boats in a weather wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Those guys had cohones man...

and a very high percentage never came back...
They lost their cohones!!

I may never sail again.

Catalina 25 #2818

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

Don't worry Carbon, I think they were still attached to the cohones that didn't come back. So they may be lost, but they are lost WITH their cohones, And isn't that what's really important?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 04-12-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Interesting Jon. I mean, is there any true "window" though? How many days were you out past the prediction before the prediction turned out to be wrong? Is a forecast good for at least 48 hours? 24? none?
You need to learn to read the synoptic charts and learn local weather patterns.

In some situations the weather is very predictable for 3 to 5 days and the reliability of a forecast nears 100%

In others say where you have strong instability, sea temps above 83 degrees and weak pressure gradients the weather is very unpredictable even for 12 hours.

I learned my weather lore flying hang gliders and the book I relied on was written by Chapman [ I think - it was a while ago ]
Old 04-16-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Hate to intrude on your self-absorption bubble, snowflake, but MY generation heard exactly the same message... in 1986.
When interest rates on student loans were 14-18%.
and the average annual salary was $30 000.

Yes, you need a degree today, but you don't need to take out a loan to pay for it. Take 7 years to get a 4 year degree, pick up a trade in the meantime to pay for it and carry you through the job search after getting the degree, and you will still be ahead of your peers, since you will actually be able to afford to do the things that you all dreamt about doing before you turned 30.

While web developers are watching their job prospects disappear as the jobs get outsourced, they still need to be able to take a dump, which is why plumbers are making $100K.

BTDT. I'm not new to this game. I've been working since I was 14. Started as a woodturner, running my own production shop the next year. Mostly heavy industrial, with the health problems, side effects and scars to prove it. I've been in university for the past 4 years, another few and I'll be done. The trade you mention? Well that'd be great, but first you'll need a few years with a decent company to get the apprenticeship so you can go to school to get certified so you make more than 10$/hr, and have a little bit left for savings... Except they gutted the apprenticeship system. For a heavy equipment operator certification you since it's private, which means no student loans to cover it, which means you need 15k to take the course to maybe get into the trade after. I have a friend who did that. He got the 15k together at 22, did the trade school for a year, after a couple years he moved up to a pay grade where he could afford to save university, so long as the courses were in the evening.
With part time school, he should be done at university when he's in his mid 30s, but then he's too old for most companies to want a fresh bachelors degree when they can get someone younger with the same papers.
A good salary for a university aged person outside of school is 30k today. Most places won't hire anyone in university, part time or not, schedules rotate too often, and they don't have any interest in someone who might need to keep the same day off each week for courses.

As I said, I went in eyes open for student debt, until I landed this job, I fully expected to spend the majority of my life paying for my degree. I knew I was getting fed a **** sandwich. It was important to my parents so I held my nose and ate it, and I won't be bailing on my loans. Not that you can in Canada since bankruptcy doesn't affect them, only death. One of the benefits of eating one **** sandwich, is you can tell when someone's handing you another one, and I'm not biting on the nobility of paying money into a debt that you'll never pay down. I'm going to pay mine off, but I'm lucky. There but for the grace of god go I as the saying goes.
We are heavily indoctrinated into from early grade school, and then some people got a rude surprise figuring out it wasn't true. Why should you expect a student to honor their promise, when what they were told they'd get in return for the years of debt was a lie? When people with any sort of power and influence regularly bail on commitments, with the great example of banks etc to look up to.

100k a year for a plumber means union job, which means they were one of the lucky few to land an apprenticeship, then get enough years on the job to get the seniority up. Almost all well paying jobs hiring freezes on, if not you still need to know somebody already in.

Here 32 hours a week at 10$/hr after tax is much more likely, subject to your company's requirements of course. That'll fluctuate from 20-40 hours a week as needed, and you can't have a second job, because you need to keep 7 days, and 18 hours a day open to account for schedule changes. If you are lucky you might get an understanding supervisor who will get you a static schedule once you've got enough time in, then you can add a second job.
550$/month will get you a basic room in someone's basement(with the mold and pest issues that come with, a decent room runs 700$+)
500$/month to make payments on the student loan(25 year payment schedule, assuming insurance rates don't go up since loans are prime+2.5%, )
90+$/month for the bus pass to get to work
1280$-1140 leaves you with under 5$/day to cover food, medical expenses, utilities, cell phone(some phone is required for most companies in case of shift changes), clothing.

You'll think I'm exaggerating, but that is the reality for a lot of university graduates here, so they end up sinking deeper in debt, when they had the carrot of a decent job held in front of them the whole way through, and then got dumped out. Any decent paying job will do a credit check too, as will any decent place to live... So they end up sinking farther every month, paying less than the interest that keeps adding on top.

I count myself lucky every day, I get 15$/hr after taxes now, 40hrs a week, for the foreseeable future, and only pay 500$ a month for my room, most of the time the rats are in the walls, not even inside my room(ants, mice and mold are another story).
I see my friends struggling, and I am aware of how incredibly fortunate I am. I can put a roof(floor) over my head, and food on the table more than once a day. That hasn't always been the case. I'll get a few hours sleep in between coughing episodes tonight, write a paper before class tommorow at 9am. Then I'll go to work and get home around midnight. Repeat the next day.

Don't tell me I don't know what it means to work for what I've got. I have shed enough blood, cursed my shaking hands enough times while working ill, hungry, or with broken ribs I couldn't afford to take time off for, spent months running on no sleep from back injuries and being unable to sleep since lying down means my lungs fill up again. I've coughed up enough blood, dust and oil to know what it took to get me here, where I can afford to pay my tuition and even consider buying a boat to live on now.
I am incredibly lucky, I've finally landed a nice, safe job. Doesn't mean I don't see what it cost me to get here.
peterchech likes this.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 04-16-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: late night crabbiness.
Old 04-16-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

There are arguably few "weather windows" In Florida or further up the east coast from end of May to November...actually there are but they just arent' three days or longer..they are measured in hours...I say this because there is 30-50 % chance of t-storms most days and if your not ready they can be problematic...with a late afternoon t-storm outflow you can suddenly have a 180 degree wind change and have 40 knots of wind bearing down on you if your not expecting it...makes for some excitement if you have alot of canvas up when one of these "walls of wind" hit you...especially since often the sun will still be shining and the clouds the wind flowed down from still far away in the distance...
So in these areas of coastal gulf/atlantic from late spring through much of autumn....effectively your "window" is from about 10 pm at night till 1 pm the next day....15 hours or so...bigger heavier boats or experienced crews will not likely be deterred by these t-storms but smaller craft and less-seasoned crews should be fairly cautious with these storms certainly...

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-16-2012 at 08:26 AM.