Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Napatree Anchorage Restrictions Discussed

The Westerly Harbor Commission in Westerly, Rhode Island, is once again considering placing restrictions on the number of boats that can anchor inside of Napatree Point, off Watch Hill. The restrictions could require the use of designated guest moorings in a defined and strictly enforced anchorage area, as well as limitations on rafting.

The boating public is urged to attend the Harbor Commissionís next meeting at 6:00 p.m., Thursday, April 12, at the Westerly Police Headquarters Conference Room at 60 Airport Road, Westerly.

Napatree Anchorage Restrictions Discussed | BoatingLocal.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Napatree Anchorage Restrictions Discussed

I forwarded your post to Sue Torgersen, an SSCA Board Member who lives in Connecticut and to Phil Johnson who chairs the SSCA Concerned Cruisers Committee. Is there an context or history you can share to help us get up to speed?

dave
S/V Auspciious
SSCA Board of Directors, Treasurer
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 04-11-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I forwarded your post to Sue Torgenson, an SSCA Board Member who lives in Connecticut and to Phil Johnson who chairs the SSCA Concerned Cruisers Committee. Is there an context or history you can share to help us get up to speed?

dave
S/V Auspciious
SSCA Board of Directors, Treasurer
I go there fairly often, both by boat, and for a walk in winter.

This has been discussed for several years. Be careful of some of the extreme scenarios you will find when Googling the subject. They aren't going to ban all anchoring and pedestrian access to Napatree.

But they could restrict it significantly, especially at the western end, and close to shore at the eastern end.

Old 04-10-2012

torgersensc is on a distinguished road

According to the Commodore of the Baldwin Yacht Club he has been informed that " the beach restriction is not on the Commission agenda and is not presently under consideration."

Thanks for the alert,

Sue Torgersen
Old 04-11-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I usually spend a few days each summer anchored there. It can be a real zoo on weekends, but quiet during the week. I hope they don't mess up one of my absolute favorite spots on the southern New England coast.
Old 04-11-2012

torgersensc is on a distinguished road

I could not agree with you more. It is usually the first place we head for when we launch. Early and late season is wonderful and as you say it can be empty at the weekends. It would be very sad if this was restricted.

Sue
Old 04-11-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

All the more reason to keep an eye on local governments. Unfortunate projects can get pretty far along before we catch on. SSCA is working to protect anchoring rights under the Florida anchoring pilot program with some success. We recently had a very substantial success in mitigating some permit requirements in Maryland. We're working hard to protect Washington Channel in DC. We were engaged in the recent easing of liveaboard restrictions in Georgia.

If something comes up at Napatree please don't keep it to yourself. Contact Sue or me or SSCA Home Base early so we can pitch in and help.

Y'all are SSCA members, aren't you?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-12-2012

Just read this:

CT Marine Trades Association sent out an email

The Commission is not contemplating curtailing any beach or anchorage access other than the usual areas to protect eelgrass growth in shallow waters or piping plover beach nesting, as required by Rhode Island Fish & Wildlife.

The subject apparently was mentioned in a news article a few weeks ago, but never made it to the Commissionís agenda, nor does the Commission plan on discussing such restrictions in the future.

Napatree Point Anchorage Issue Clarified | BoatingLocal.com

Old 04-12-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDBOUNDER View Post
Just read this:

CT Marine Trades Association sent out an email

The Commission is not contemplating curtailing any beach or anchorage access other than the usual areas to protect eelgrass growth in shallow waters or piping plover beach nesting, as required by Rhode Island Fish & Wildlife.

The subject apparently was mentioned in a news article a few weeks ago, but never made it to the Commissionís agenda, nor does the Commission plan on discussing such restrictions in the future.

Napatree Point Anchorage Issue Clarified | BoatingLocal.com
Great to know! I was gonna try to make it back from JFK in time for the meeting. Now I can take my time

I do wish they would put transient moorings out there, it would take a strain off the eel grass, make it safer to anchor (lots of dragging there when the wind pipes up) and allow more boats access with the shorter scope of moorings.

I'm not advocating restricting anchoring completely, but it does not seem fair that the Watch Hill Yacht Club has the exclusive rights on moorings inside or outsider the harbor.

Also, the number of "illegal" moorings is growing. I don't know for sure if they are actually illegal but the WHYC seems to think they are.
Old 04-12-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

As much as I like Napatree, since the channel on the eastern end opened up to power boat traffic the anchorage is very rough. We stopped going there a few years back. No desire to return.
Jim