SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Money no object boat?

19K views 88 replies 49 participants last post by  NaviGsr 
#1 ·
I'm new around here, so forgive me if this has been done before (and post a link, cause I couldn't find it in the search :D)

I thought this would be a fun hypothetical:

If money didn't matter, what boat would you buy? why?

a couple criteria I guess...

Can be sailed by a couple people (maybe you and your spouse/other)

Good for coastal shennanigans, but you wouldn't be afraid to hit the open water...maybe summer in the French Riviera (money is no object remember :laugher) or circumnaviate (for all you adventures out there)

Doesn't have to be a permanent home...but comfortable for a couple months at a time

#36 · (Edited)
What do you mean? The smaller I know from them has 55ft:confused: Am I missing some other cat from them or you are talking about the 55?

Regarding the boat, unlimited money means also unlimited money to live? I guess that it is the only way that makes sense. And the answer is that I don't know:D. I love a lot of boats and I would have to think again all my live project to see what would be the boat more suited to it. It would be fast and rewarding to sail, it would have a great cruising interior and I don't know if in the end I would chose a monohull or a multihull. These two would be close candidates:

Luxury Catamaran: MC² 60 BY MC CONAGHY BOATS

Super yacht de 100 pieds | finot-conq architectes navals

or maybe just this one (I am getting old:D):

Maybe if I am that rich I can have the three:cool:?

Regards

Paulo

#5 ·
A Bob Perry custom design around 40 feet, started from scratch. Probably cold-moulded and built by Jespersens in Sidney BC..but with a FG deck.

Reactions: SloopJonB
#13 ·
Likewise but a bit smaller - probably around 33'. Something like Night Runner only a bit sleeker - more bow overhang and a flush foredeck. Definitely cold molded, finished bright and with a laminated teak deck - thick enough to outlast me. ;)

Imagine a 33' or thereabouts version of Zwerver or Carina with a modern underbody and you'll be close.

#11 ·
My mistake, good sir...

GO NUTS!

I want a submarine :laugher

I've been browsing this IYP website...nice choice for sure. I'm curious about that whole 5' draft thing too, though. I'm kind of new at this game, but that seems pretty freakin shallow.

#10 ·
My dream would be two boats. One to keep on the Chesapeake during the spring and summer months we're here and one to keep down south always ready to head offshore.

With two boats designed for the specific cruising area, I wouldn't have to compromise on either.

#14 ·
Sorry guys but you had better get in line. I got unexpectedly busy. Imagine a guy in Sweden coming to me for a Scandinavian style double ender. Along with my 62' DE in Hadlock, my 58'er being built by PSC and my 40' "weekender" for a Seattle client I am chock a block. If I win the lottery I'm going to have to have Bruce Farr design my new boat. I'm too busy.

#17 ·
Forgive my ignorance, gentlemen, but what does cold molded mean in relation to sailboat building?

Brad
s/v KIVALO

#19 · (Edited)
Kiv:
Cold moulded/molded means the hull is made up of multiple veneers of wood glued together with epoxy. Today you generally find cold molded boats have the veneers layed over a foam core. So the term "cold molded" may not be really accurate. It's probably best just to say "composite". I think the origins of cold molding go back to the Spitfire fighter days.

Ferron:
Ok, I'm sorry. I;ll keep late hours to design your boat. But right now with my work load I really have my hands full. Meet Violet Spika Perry.

Attachments

#24 ·
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Exactly! My crew will be calling the mast a pole or their "office". :D
My "crew" would be hired from Hooters, BabyDolls, Twin Peaks, Bone Daddy's....

And I'd hire an actual professional Captain who would be responsible for hiring the bridge crew and "real" crew.

No male crewmembers without my explicit approval.

#20 ·
First it was an Oyster 62, then they made the 65 and I changed my mind, now they are releasing an 88. Keep checking back with me......... We can double hand an 88, I know we can. With this unlimited fantasy, should the sails jam, we'll just rig a way to jettison them overboard and get new ones.

#25 ·
a Bob Perry designed Passport 40

#26 · (Edited)
Obviously, if money were no object, anyone would own more than one boat... For my sailing pleasure, my choice would be something along the lines of a Sweden 45, or an X-Yachts XC-45, or a Swan 46 with the lifting keel...

But for really going places, and seeing the world, something between a Nordhavn 62 and a 76 would be the way I'd roll...

#34 ·
Congrats on the new arrival. Happy times!

Brad
s/v KIVALO

#38 ·
Pacific Seacraft Dana 24.

Maybe the 27 or an Island Packet around 30' or less.

I love the 'old school' salty looks and blue water capabilities of these boats.

30 feet or less so that not only could I single hand, I actually would.

I guess a sweet talking dealer could push me into a 32 (hey, it's not my money!)

I know they aren't that fast; I've got time. :)

The pic is of the 27

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.