Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012

reka30 is on a distinguished road
Chain Locker Overboard Drain Question

A question for those of you who have (or had) chain lockers that drained overboard...

Is the drain just a plain hole (i.e., a thru-hole)?

Or, is there a 1-way valve inside to keep water from coming in through the hole? Or, is there a ball valve inside that would let you close the ability for water to come in the drain?

What is inside the locker?

I get putting the clam shell over the outside to try an prevent some water from coming in.... but, how much does come in when you are off-shore?

Is this an issue? Or, is this just unwarranted concern from someone who has only had anchor lockers that drain into the bilge before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Chain Locker Overboard Drain Question

The drain hole is above the waterline. Usually the only thing(s) in the locker are is rode, chain and maybe another anchor. You want it to drain.

My biggest issue has been objects plugging the hole from the inside. We store some garbage in the anchor locker during long passages.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-11-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

There was another thread on this a few days ago that included photos of people's holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reka30 View Post
A question for those of you who have (or had) chain lockers that drained overboard...

Is the drain just a plain hole (i.e., a thru-hole)?

Or, is there a 1-way valve inside to keep water from coming in through the hole? Or, is there a ball valve inside that would let you close the ability for water to come in the drain?
Depends on the boat. Mine is just a simple hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reka30 View Post
What is inside the locker?
The anchor and rode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-11-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road

Not an issue, and an unwarranted concern, the drain is 2 feet above waterline so it only gets wet if it goes below the water level, which then drains when it goes back up.
Old 04-11-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not an issue, and an unwarranted concern, the drain is 2 feet above waterline so it only gets wet if it goes below the water level, which then drains when it goes back up.
That might depend on the boat a bit. I think if I drilled a hole at the bottom of the space in my forepeak, it would be pretty close to the water line. For those who are phobic about drilling more holes in the boat (like me), what is the downside to having it drain into the bilge?
Old 04-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

With 300 ft of half inch chain and a spare anchor in ours, you can put all the water you like in there and it will hardly make a difference. It gets in through the drain hole, I suppose. But more often by taking water over the bow which goes in the hatch and down the "chain hole" (has a real name that is escaping me). I prefer that water in the anchor locker be fully contained with no way to enter the boat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-11-2012

Thanks for the replies so far - I love you can get answers so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
There was another thread on this a few days ago that included photos of people's holes.

Depends on the boat. Mine is just a simple hole.
I read that thread (I searched the forum back through early 2009). All the threads talk about/show the outside hole, but none mentioned the inside.

I am very interested in learning if it is just a simple hole. Sounds like yours is.

When you say "depends on the boat"... does anyone know of boats that use some water control on the inside of the hole?

If so, why? If no one does - this must not be an issue?

One scenario I was thinking of we beating to wind, hole is dipping under the waves as you go down.... it goes underwater until you come back up.

The alternatives didn't make much sense, though.

You would think a 1-way valve could get plugged from the muck your anchor can drag in. If there was a ball valve on the inside, you would think the "drain" would now be too high. Plus, maybe underneath 300 feet of chain.
Old 04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
What if drain hole would not be 2 feet above the waterline? What if was only 12 inches above? Would that make a difference to you or not?
Old 04-11-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road

Just has to be above the waterline, because it is above more time than below it will always drain. Haven't looked close up in a long time but most of my boats have a drain in the bottom of the locker that has a tube with an elbow to exit the side of the hull. Water rises as high as you stuff the bow then empties as you rise.
Think of a surf dory, hull is full of holes just above waterline, your feet get wet but the boat never fills with water.
Barquito, not sure the "space in your forepeak" is the same as most conventional anchor lockers, don't drill no holes. If it drains to the bilge just means all the sand, slime and crap from the anchor and rode might end up there too.
Old 04-11-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

My chain locker drains directly into the bilge--problem solved. The tiny bit of water that gets into the chain locker when retrieving and washing down the chain and rode is almost insignificant--probably less than a cup or two at most. The bigger problem is the open hawse pipe, which can allow a fair amount of water to enter the chain locker when a wave washes over the bow. While this rarely happens, the volume of water is fairly significant. I solved the problem by cutting a 1/2-inch thick slab of gum rubber to fit the hawse pipe opening, cut a slot for the chain that fits tightly around a single link, and even a heavy wave just washes down the gunwales without dumping anything into the chain locker. When I'm ready to deploy the anchor, I remove the rubber insert and press the winch button--it's that easy.

Gary
chef2sail likes this.

Tags
chain , drain , locker , overboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.