SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Your ONE piece of wisdom...

23K views 150 replies 108 participants last post by  bornagainsailor 
#1 ·
Perhaps it's spring, but there appear to be quite a few new folks gazing towards the water here on Sailnet. There is also quite a bit of salty wisdom around here as well, and one of the great things about Sailnet is that wisdom, experience and advice are freely shared over long discussions.

For those that wish to partake, here is a space to post the ONE piece of advice that you think is most important to communicate. Only ONE piece of advice allowed and it must be short. The U/W school of medicine has a simmilar tradition, passing information from graduates to newbies. Why so short, why only one? Because like Haiku, it forces the mind to filter out what is not necessary and what is left is pure.

My piece:

"Having enough scope out is THE most important aspect in anchoring securely."

Have at it!

MedSalor

#3 ·
Choose a type of boat that is appropriate for the type of sailing you will ACTUALLY be doing, rather than the type you dream of or plan to do "someday".

#6 ·
Well since JonE stole mine..;)...

"If you're at anchor and you feel uneasy for any reason, move now - instead of at 3 in the morning..."

#22 ·
Never close yourself off to learning something new; it's what keeps sailing (and life) fresh. If someone tells you he or she knows everything about sailing, smile politely and then verify with another source everything they just told you.

Reactions: SecondWindNC
#66 ·
This applies to the accidental jybe as well. Years ago I was out on a full moon night sailing my friends's Bennetau First 325 when we started to sail by the lee. I had to calculate, the wind is behind me, the tiller turn the opposite to what I'm used to, if the bow goes that way the stern goes the other, but wait it's backwards and backwards if its....BANG!! Jybed. :eek: Oops... In my defense I blame the tall cup of something REALLY strong that I had been recently handed for my slowness in figuring out the problem.

Wish I had know the quote above beforehand!

MedSailor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.