Coffee Maker - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 86 Old 04-12-2012

Re: Coffee Maker

Stove top percolator. I think it is a decent cup of coffee. We use fresh coarse ground and make sure we put the burner to really low once it starts percolating.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 86 Old 04-12-2012

We use an electric drip at the dock and a very old percolater on the hook. The percolater does not make the best coffee, but sitting in the cockpit make any coffee taste better.
Nicklaus likes this.

s/v Odyssey
Catalina 30
post #13 of 86 Old 04-12-2012

I use a Jetboil - comes with a "french press" set up. Can boil water in a minute flat, can be used for soup etc. Handy little tool I discovered doing camping year ago - Home Page | Jetboil
post #14 of 86 Old 04-13-2012

Invertor runs a 110v drip to make a full pot in approx 10 mins. We then shut it off entirely, although, the insulated stainless carafe keeps it plenty hot until finished.

We too drink Espresso at home, but a good machine would be a serious energy hog on the boat, as it must be warmed up and left on for each cup. I don't love running the genset until I've actually had coffee!

We use Dunkin Donuts coffee on the boat. Seriously, everything tastes better aboard anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 86 Old 04-13-2012

Bodum Travel Press. I also have a larger press for when there is company.
post #16 of 86 Old 04-13-2012
Dragon Mod

Dock

Very eye opening thread. I don't drink coffee (tea drinker) but I did buy a percolator to make coffee for John on the boat.

It appears that I've been doing him a disservice. I don't skimp on coffee quality but is it really that bad made in a percolator? He never complained. Not a peep. I have several French presses around the house. I'll start using one on the boat this year.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #17 of 86 Old 04-13-2012

I use the percolator that my dad used back in the 50's. I have a Coleman one burner propane stove. Still make really good coffee-looks like it has been around the block several times.
post #18 of 86 Old 04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...We too drink Espresso at home, but a good machine would be a serious energy hog on the boat...
My Nespresso Pixie machine is quite energy efficient. Turn it on and 25 seconds later I can make an espresso or coffee, plus it turns itself off as well if I forget to do so and leave the inverter running as well. It does consume 1260 watts when making coffee, but that is just for a couple of seconds. The frother is great as well and is quick and easy to clean. The only downside is the cost and availability of the Nespresso capsules in the Caribbean. There is a store in St. Martin and one in Antigua that I know of.

post #19 of 86 Old 04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Very eye opening thread. I don't drink coffee (tea drinker) but I did buy a percolator to make coffee for John on the boat.

It appears that I've been doing him a disservice. I don't skimp on coffee quality but is it really that bad made in a percolator? He never complained. Not a peep.
Smart man.
ccriders likes this.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

post #20 of 86 Old 04-13-2012

Those of you who use a French Press, I am not having much luck with mine. It always comes out weak even though I am using what is recommended and more. Exactly what ground size should I be using? Any advice would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.