Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012

helenwiley is on a distinguished road
Re: Coffee Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I use a filter cone and unbleached paper filters. Use water just below boiling point. Folgers Columbian or Leader Price Columbian ground coffee.

Produces the essential morning nectar of the gods.

A percolator boils the coffee ugh!
Ditto-- that's exactly what we do, including the Folgers. We make the coffee into metal, thermos carafe. Works perfectly under anchor or under way.

Helen Wiley, Cornucopia, Finnsailer 35, Savannah, GA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwks4me View Post
Those of you who use a French Press, I am not having much luck with mine. It always comes out weak even though I am using what is recommended and more. Exactly what ground size should I be using? Any advice would be appreciated.
I just use cheapo Choc Full o Nuts coffee, but if you let it brew a bit longer before pressing you may get a stronger batch. My routine - grounds first, hot water on top and let it sit for a minute or two before pressing always comes out strong but I am usually heavy handed on the grounds.
Old 04-13-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

CapnBones, thanks I will try your routine.
Old 04-13-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwks4me View Post
Those of you who use a French Press, I am not having much luck with mine. It always comes out weak even though I am using what is recommended and more. Exactly what ground size should I be using? Any advice would be appreciated.
When I have the option to grind my own I use a course grind. For me, I use about one table spoon of grounds for two cups of coffee, and adjust for taste of those on board (I like a pretty strong brew). I find the key to be stirring the grounds pretty good in the water and letting all sit for a good five minutes before pressing. Never got a weak cup this way.
Good luck.
Silvio
Old 04-13-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Many people do not like the French press because of sludge at the bottom of the cup. The same happens with the La Mocha stovetop espresso. Filter coffee is the cleanest, but the automatic machines frequently do not get the water hot enough to extract really good coffee.
For expresso, I use the La Mocha by Biagletti. I normally use fresh, locally roasted beans (by a Turkish guy) that I grind to a level that does not produce too much sludge but tasty robust coffee. If I want a latte, I heat 2% milk then lightly froth it with an Aerolatte. I don't like a lot of foam, just try to get that lightness of steamed milk. I have tried several "latte" machines, but they are generally unsuccessful, get clogged up easily and bite the dust way too soon for their cost. I even have a Pavoni steam press, but alas it just sits in the closet for lack of a repair part. Wouldn't work on the boat anyway.
For regular coffee I boil water in a kettle and pour through a Melitta cone filter into a thermos. I prefer to use a glass lined thermos but have an all steel one for the boat.
I find the biggest problem with this method is that you have to be very vigilant as any wave action can upset the whole thing and put your coffee on the cabin sole.
I think I will get a four cup thermal press next. But I do like having a full thermos so I can have a cup around mid morning that is still hot and fresh tasting.
A friend of mine's father was a coffee importer in Germany in the 40s and 50s. The Germans make very very good coffee. Anyway she says he always told her that the coffee (grounds to liquid) should never touch metal. So you grind with a ceramic grinder, put the coffee in a paper filter in a procelin holder and make it into a glass or porcelin pot.
I think that if you use a percolator you have grown accustomed to the cooked coffee flavor. It is impossible to sustain the perkolation without over heating the brewed coffee in a percolator, but that is just a taste thing.
I have found that the most important thing is high quality coffee beans that have been roasted within the last two weeks. While you can make good coffee with off the shelf stuff (which I do for the most part) freshly roasted is the best and what I use for my morning latte.
Me thinks I'm a coffee addict.
John
Old 04-13-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

French Press away from the dock. Keurig at the dock.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-13-2012

Daydreamer22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWabamun View Post
I use a Jetboil - comes with a "french press" set up. Can boil water in a minute flat, can be used for soup etc. Handy little tool I discovered doing camping year ago - Home Page | Jetboil
I have to agree with CaptainWabamun , I have been using a Jet boil for several years now. Using the grinder at the grocery store I use the coarse setting and get less sediment.
Old 04-13-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I boil water in a teapot over our propane burner and pour it into a filter cone with fresh ground coffee.
Us, too. Simple and requires no extra gear.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-13-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Similar to Fuzzy's solution (from Ikea):

It makes a couple of cups of espresso-strength coffee in about 10 minutes. Ikea also has a stainless steel insulated French Press.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-13-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

BTW, this whole K-cup fad just takes over-packaging completely over the top. It produces a second-rate drink, at greater expense, with a huge amount of waste.

Want good coffee? Use freshly ground, high quality beans. Brew them in a Moka-type stove-top gizmo, or a French Press, and spend a minute or two rinsing/cleaning after yourself.
ccriders and bljones like this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt