Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012
C&C 30 - S/V Serenity

PenobscotBaySailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Coffee Maker

An absolutely essential stainless french press.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw:859347
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1953 View Post
So, before we go off to slay zombies with an espresso maker, Chef indicated it was best to roast beans just before grinding and that just before use... how do you, or do you roast beans on the boat? If not what compromises do you have to make to get the best cuppa on board?

SD,
It all comes down to setting your own standards.

You could be a complete slackarse like that Jones fellow and drink instant. It shows you are somewhat cavalier in your approach, unconcerned that your friends and colleagues laugh at you behind you back and probably forget to zip up your fly or use deodorent.

You could otoh be somewhat anal retentive about it (Chef is probably bigger than me and could beat me up so I mention no names) and hand pick your beans from a Columbian state forest, feed them to your pet gibbon, then collect the remants and roast the suckers in your own personal hand made oven fueled by charcoal processed from the finest cedar. Naturally you'd drink it straight but if perchance you fancy a drizzle of milk you'll need your own dairy, none of this store bought much.

Finally we have the prefect compromise exemplified by , well, modesty almost but not quite forbids ... ME. Buy the stuff vacume packed, scoop it into your favourite machine making sure the thing (and your final recepticle aka your coffee mug) has been warmed through first, add milk and sugar to taste or not as the case may be. Drink. You won't feel as guilty as a Jones nor a self righteously smug as that Chef fellow who I didn't mention earlier on but you'll at least be finished breakfast before noon.
OMG that was hilarious! !! Thanks

My wife is Austrian therfore I'm all set in the coffee department Now if I could just get a damn engine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-03-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Please pardon our plebeian taste, but we buy "8 O'Clock", crank grind the beans, and french press as needed. Never more than 2 cups at a time. No-fat 1/2&1/2 on ice works well for us.
Dick
Old 05-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Why would anyone put milk or sugar in good coffee? Maybe in instant coffee to hide the toxic nature of such but to ruin the perfect taste of good beans is IMO a crime, punishable by having to drink Wal-Mart instant.
Old 05-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
Please pardon our plebeian taste, but we buy "8 O'Clock", crank grind the beans, and french press as needed. Never more than 2 cups at a time. No-fat 1/2&1/2 on ice works well for us.
Dick
I drink coffee black but we keep the non-fat half and half aboard for guests because the expiration date is way out. Can't recall exactly but want to say two months.

Lord knows what's in the stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-04-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

We use a french press - or stop at the local coffee shop on the way to the dock - though my wife prefers a Bloody Mary.