Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Do you sailor's keep a log book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
In a way that's kind of a cool tradition but on the other hand, you end up selling written record of passages on your boat and will have to rely on memory.

I'm torn.
You could always scan them and print them or save them on a CD.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

As much as I like to keep things low-tech, smple and "old school", I find the logging part of my Nobeltec nav software allows me to input the most information with the least work.
Old 04-14-2012

glassdad is on a distinguished road

We keep a log of each time we go out. We track the engine hours in order to know our fuel useage and maintanence. Other than that, we record anything of interest. It is more of a diary of the adventures of the Odyssey. We do have any first time guests sign the log and make any comments they want. Any repeat guests can sign and write in it but I don't push them. I look at the log as a way to remember the good times when I can no longer sail.

After my mother died, we found the log book that they kept on their boat. I looked forward to reading about their adventures. I was very disapointed to find only one entry. All those stories are gone. I don't want that to happen to our stories.

Take care.
Old 04-15-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

If you keep an accurate up to date log, then your wife can tell you how much each sail cost for last year!
John
Old 04-15-2012

Take her along. Then you can blame her.
Old 04-15-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
Take her along. Then you can blame her.
I try to, but she maintains such a busy schedule she doesn't have much time for sailing and won't go out if forecast is for more that 15 gusting to 20 knots.
John
Old 04-16-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
I try to, but she maintains such a busy schedule she doesn't have much time for sailing and won't go out if forecast is for more that 15 gusting to 20 knots.
John
When I've got my choice, I don't go out when its much more than that either. When we do, stuff just increases its likelihood of breaking ... and there's always tomorrow (or whenever the weather moderates). As for heavy weather practice, we get enough of that when the weather goes bad despite the forecast.

Back to the original question: we keep an informal log, written in a composition book (like DRFerron's, $0.99 at Staples) Just a sketch, engine hrs, where/when we started and where/when we ended up, weather, and any "interesting stuff" that happens. (at the locks at Great Bridge, VA, writing the log with actual pen and paper)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-16-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
John
15 knots is is where it starts to get fun with this boat, 20 is a real blast...I live on board and the only crew I would consider is someone that would appreciate that.
Old 04-19-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Ok, I'll give you the real dope.... My father taught me to sail. When I was 9 I was obliged to "go with your father" when he was going to the boat. My mother liked sailing, but not really "sailing," just the light snack on the boat in 4-15knot winds.

I on the other hand grew up sailing. The neighbors at the marina had kids too, and I became fast friends with 2 other boys my age, and we'd race snarks together until I was about 11, and I started to get into the "big boat." Our US 27 was a slug, but Dad's a helluva sailor, and even better a man. He'd enter that slug into every race on Lake Norman in NC.. we ALWAYS, unfailingly were DEAD last. Our rating was for a similar boat, with a tall rig, with an outboard, and a tiller (almost 1000lbs lighter).. we had a wheel, blackwater tanks, fixed prop and the standard rig (the boat was for near shore sailing).

Flash forward. Dad's pushing 77 now. He's been 12 years cancer free, but the treatment has taken it's toll. He's "fragile," and can't sit comfortably on hard surfaces for more than a few minutes at a time. But he's still ALL sailor.

It's taken me until I turned 40 to finally get a keelboat of my own. I would LOVE to take Dad sailing again... however, he's physically not able to go. I know it's killing him... I mean think of what not being able to participate in sailing would do to you?

So I keep a detailed log. My logs are written to Dad, and thankfully sent to Dad, to be read, as if he was with me. I ask his opinions, and listen carefully to his answers, always. For me he's still captain, and I'm still crew.

This being the case, I aim to teach my daughter to sail as well. She's just turned 9, and is old enough to learn, and appreciate it. I dunno if she'll take to it. Her mother (my ex) never leaves a 6 mile radius, and her most involved hobby is shopping at Target (with my money, not spent on our daughter).

I hope someday my daughter looks back on her crazy ole salt of a dad, and says, I really had a good time doing this... and gets a chance to read some of what we did.

By the way, my father kept a detailed log of all our sails as well. He had a singular literary talent, and they at times read as great short stories. Within those pages show evidence that I've sailed with him more than 80% of the times he's gone. My older brother, and my 2 older sisters not nearly as much as 20%.

I really took to sailing when we owned a 27 footer, but I stuck with him until I was 25. Unfortunately he sold his 27 when I was 14.. but he quickly acquired a 23 kells coaster trailerable, which added a new dimension to sailing for me. We had it on the Chesapeake at Oxford Boat Yard, for the last 3 years we sailed it intensely (until I wasted my time dating my first wife, and neglected my sailing time with my father).

So it is for this reason I keep a log. Not to satisfy an ASA course, or to gratify my self, or revel in what I've learned, but to participate in a family tradition of sailing, and maintaining a record of the course.
DRFerron, glassdad and bellasera like this.
Old 04-20-2012

So it is for this reason I keep a log. Not to satisfy an ASA course, or to gratify my self, or revel in what I've learned, but to participate in a family tradition of sailing, and maintaining a record of the course.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely! This is the best reason to keep a log.