Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012

djangodog is on a distinguished road
Small, cheap persian rugs/runners for down below...

Having an oddly hard time finding 2x3, 2x4, etc. rugs of decent quality to 'warmify' our cabin, yet I see them outfitted on so many boats. Any places where these are readily available?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Small, cheap persian rugs/runners for down below...

ollies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-14-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

You'll laugh when you hear this...but Ikea.

$29 for a 6 ft runner that looks like a persian rug. A few bucks more for the rubber stuff that prevents rugs from slipping...and you have enough to use at the nav station to prevent laptops and charts from moving around too
Old 04-14-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangodog View Post
Having an oddly hard time finding 2x3, 2x4, etc. rugs of decent quality to 'warmify' our cabin, yet I see them outfitted on so many boats. Any places where these are readily available?
Most cities have furniture consignment stores. The local one always has a big selection of Persian, Indian, Turkish etc. rugs. It turns out that some of those carpet stores really ARE closing out.

Unless you have a pretty big boat though, I'd stick to synthetic fakes - real ones won't last long on a boat - vegetable dyes don't like salt water for example.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-14-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Home Depot and Lowes have them.

I'll second the recommendation for synthetic materials. Wool, or whatever, will get pretty nasty pretty fast. Also, consider putting a bit of Dri-Dek, or something similar, under the rugs to help keep them a bit drier.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-14-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

We got ours from Kohls.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-14-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Home Depot and Lowes have them.

I'll second the recommendation for synthetic materials. Wool, or whatever, will get pretty nasty pretty fast. Also, consider putting a bit of Dri-Dek, or something similar, under the rugs to help keep them a bit drier.
These are good suggestions and right on concerning wool. Our runners (from Lowes) are laid over rubber non-skid pads (also from Lowes). One advantage of the synthetics is that when they get dirty (and they surely will), one can lay them out on deck and give them a good scrub with hot soapy water and a little bleach and they clean right up with little fading.

I had to shape our longer runner to fit around the salon table base supports by cutting out two U-shapes on the side under the table. The edges of the cut-outs were sealed with a hot knife and a local carpet shop sewed a color matching binding on the sealed edges for $25.00.

FWIW..
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-16-2012

djangodog is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Lowes, Ikea, Kohls, HD are all in the SF area so I'll swing in and see what they've got. Definitely want synthetic, and nice to know they can be cleaned pretty easily. They will indeed get filthy pretty quick.
Cheers,
Neal
Old 05-16-2012

winner is on a distinguished road

hi, have you tried braided rugs, they are perfect and will help in enhancing the beauty of your cabin and give comfortable feeling and are very practical in nature.
Old 05-16-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangodog View Post
Nonslip rugs are all over everywhere, although I am unsure how many of them look like persians.

If you want to buy local, I'd try all the discount department stores in your area: K-mart, Wal-Mart, Target, and Ikea. I'd also look at business supply store chains such as Staples or Office Depot as well as home maintenance department stores such as Home Depot and Lowes.

If you don't mind order over the web, try the hyperlink below at Amazon.com -- they have 2x3 and 2x4 orientals.
Amazon.com: American Home Classic Heriz Rust / Navy Oriental Rug Size: 2' x 3': Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: American Home Classic Heriz Rust / Navy Oriental Rug Size: 2' x 3': Home & Kitchen

Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 05-16-2012 at 07:00 AM.