Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012
Tartan T30

Talyn is on a distinguished road
Falmouth Cutter

I've been looking around for a new pocket sized boat for myself, and am very interested in the Lyle Hess Falmouth cutter built by Sam L. Morse.
I live in Toronto, and wondering if anyone has, or knows of this boat, or similar like the Flicka or Norse in the area?
Looking to get some sailing time to see how they behave and handle and how they feel for size.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Falmouth Cutter

check out Art Of Hookie, nice little web page/blog about 22' Falmouth Cutter. lots of info about boat.

hope that helps some

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 04-15-2012
Tartan T30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
check out Art Of Hookie, nice little web page/blog about 22' Falmouth Cutter. lots of info about boat.

hope that helps some
Thanks for the link, I actually came across that site earlier in my searching.
I'm hoping by posting here I'll find someone who has or knows someone who has one of these rare beauties in my vicinity so I can taste what the boat feels like with my own senses before I start travelling about North America in search of the one I can afford
Old 04-15-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Lots of character, some compromises. she is a big little boat, as opposed to being a little big boat. In other words, she's 22 feet on deck with the accomodation of a 20 footer thanks to the split house, and the docking costs of a 30 footer, thanks to the sprit.

What are you looking to accomplish with your next boat? Sail the world or cruise Lake Ontario?

Old 04-15-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

It all depends on what your looking for in a boat and how much you are willing to pay. I live aboard my fc and love it. I can carry 2000 lbs of cargo and still not be down to my LWL or have my lockers filled. She has a nice little galley and 6' headroom, a 6'6" vberth and two 6'6" quarter berths that are amazingly comfortable. Just over 400' of plain sail and really nice side decks. To me this boat is hugs but to many a 35' boat is tiny.

You cant measure a boat by its length.

Pearson Triton 28 Falmouth Cutter 22

LOA: 28′-6″ LOA: 30’6″
LWL: 20′-6″ LWL: 20’10″
Beam: 8′-3″ Beam: 8′
Draft: 4′-6″ Draft: 3’6″
Ballast: 3019 lb (Lead) Ballast 2500 lb (Lead)
Sail Area (100%): 362 sq ft Sail Area (100%) 403 sq ft
Displacment 8000 lb. Displacement 7400 lb.

While the 22′ falmouth cutter appears to be 6’5″ smaller than the 28′ Peasron Triton it can carry more cargo, sail .1 knot faster in theory, and is lighter which means sails faster in light air.

One last thing, I don't have any form of head so I pee in a bucket. I don't have an engine so I have to wait for the right wind. Just the way a skier cant ski without snow, or a surfer cant surf without waves, I cant sail without wind. So yes there are many ups and downs to this boat.

Old 04-15-2012
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road

Talyn, If you're a Lyle Hess fan you probably already know about the Falmouth Cutter's bigger sister, the Bristol Channel Cutter - 28 footer and about twice the price. Then there is his Nor'Sea 27, trailerable, and about the same price range as the Falmouth Cutter. I think one or two regulars on this board have the Nor'Sea, you might check in the boat review section. Hess was definitely not short on character. A couple of his Montgomery 17s were next door slip neighbors of ours last year. I didn't get on one, but they look to be a very well built little vessel with, again, tons of character.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 04-15-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I guess the Hess designs are as contentious as the Westsails. Some will love them, to others they make no sense at all.

For me the look of them makes me smile but they always make me think of Lyn Pardey's singing on a DVD of theirs I saw once. The last thing in the world (Ok second last cos Joan Baez singing Amazing Grace will always come first) I want to be reminded of is Lyn Pardey's singing.

oh yes ... and I'm too old to pee in a bucket .... more than that does not bear thinking about.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-15-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

It probably doesn't help you at all (depends how keen you are), but there is one for sale just down from my pen in Melbourne, Australia.

The owner helped build it and has sailed it across Bass Strait a few times to visit the Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart.

It's in immaculate condition (he's a perfectoinist), but he's getting too old to sail it himself and can't find anyone to sail with him, so she's on the market..
Old 04-17-2012
Tartan T30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Lots of character, some compromises. she is a big little boat, as opposed to being a little big boat. In other words, she's 22 feet on deck with the accomodation of a 20 footer thanks to the split house, and the docking costs of a 30 footer, thanks to the sprit.

What are you looking to accomplish with your next boat? Sail the world or cruise Lake Ontario?
I am looking for a very able boat, that can do both in fact. I've owned a Tartan T30 before and the FC and BCC embody many of the improvements I would have sought in my next boat based on my experience with the Tartan, a Catalina 40, and a Hunter 26.5.
I've also been considering a Cape Dory
Old 04-17-2012
Tartan T30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
It all depends on what your looking for in a boat and how much you are willing to pay. I live aboard my fc and love it. I can carry 2000 lbs of cargo and still not be down to my LWL or have my lockers filled. She has a nice little galley and 6' headroom, a 6'6" vberth and two 6'6" quarter berths that are amazingly comfortable. Just over 400' of plain sail and really nice side decks. To me this boat is hugs but to many a 35' boat is tiny.

You cant measure a boat by its length.

Pearson Triton 28 Falmouth Cutter 22

LOA: 28′-6″ LOA: 30’6″
LWL: 20′-6″ LWL: 20’10″
Beam: 8′-3″ Beam: 8′
Draft: 4′-6″ Draft: 3’6″
Ballast: 3019 lb (Lead) Ballast 2500 lb (Lead)
Sail Area (100%): 362 sq ft Sail Area (100%) 403 sq ft
Displacment 8000 lb. Displacement 7400 lb.

While the 22′ falmouth cutter appears to be 6’5″ smaller than the 28′ Peasron Triton it can carry more cargo, sail .1 knot faster in theory, and is lighter which means sails faster in light air.

One last thing, I don't have any form of head so I pee in a bucket. I don't have an engine so I have to wait for the right wind. Just the way a skier cant ski without snow, or a surfer cant surf without waves, I cant sail without wind. So yes there are many ups and downs to this boat.
Have you had any luck sculling, or rowing it?

Tags
falmouth cutter