Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012

UMBTreasurer26 is on a distinguished road
Newly Started UMass Boston Sailing Team! HELP!

This is the student-run UMASS Boston Boating Club to bring waterfront recreation to the students of UMASS with sailing (free lessons, excursions, racing), kayaking, paddle-boarding, and wind surfing.
Umass Boston Boating Club - University - Boston, MA | Facebook

The only problem we are facing today is we have 8 sail boats out of commission in which they either have holes in the front of the boat or underneath from years of mistreatment and sitting around. I would like to gain some knowledge as to:
1. How to fix these boats (what type of fiber glass, etc.)
2. Gaining enough money to start a competitive team (How to become a competitive team)
3. To learn what and where to buy (Sails, Hardware, etc.) and how to allocate the miniscule amount of money we were granted in the most efficient way. (We have $1000, that's it)

Also, I would like to know if anyone in the Boston area could help us seek outside angel investors that have an interest in advertising on our sail (tax write-offs are available if this avenue is chosen.) I am very enthusiastic about this program, we have a lot of students that are interested in sailing with only two working sail boats and two kayaks that aren't even ours. Please help! Donations are greatly appreciated whether in form of knowledge or information regarding funding this up in coming team.

Thank You,
Matt
UMass Boston Sailing Club Treasurer.

Last edited by UMBTreasurer26; 04-17-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Mistakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Newly Started UMass Boston Sailing Team! HELP!

Matt,

Have you tapped into your alumni program? Might be some sailors who went to your school who would like the opportunity to help.

In the meantime, start with Don Casey's Deck and Hull Repair book. Fixing the boats might not be that difficult (or expensive) of a repair.

Best of luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-17-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Another suggestion: Google yacht clubs and sailing associations in your immediate area. An email to them can't hurt.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-17-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I'd guess fixing the glass hulls is going to be the cheapest of your problems, though probably the most time-consuming. I used to maintain the old Tech Dinghies at BU decades ago. Glass and resin is fairly cheap, you need heat lamps to get it to harden, at least during the winter.

Replacing hardware and sails is the more expensive thing, I don't see how you can do it for a thousand bucks (what class of sailboats you talking about, and where's your dock?). So listen to those who suggest how/where to get donations. Maybe there's something in the school's athletic budget?

But if you could get some donated sails, sort of "age-equal", it'd save you a lot--new sails are expensive. But if you get used ones that are similar in shape and age, then you'll have roughly equal boatspeed, essential for practices, races, and even regattas if you get to that stage.

You'll need a launch too, I'd guess, ours was a 13' Whaler back then. And a motorized pump? Makes recovering capsizes easier. And you'll want to make some racing marks. This can be as simple and cheap as plywood bases with orange dunce caps on top, with a mooring line and a piece of lead.

And lifejackets. And storage for gear.

Get in touch with NEISA and see what it takes to join, you can probably race in their regattas on the Charles and over at Tufts even if you don't hold your own regattas for their teams, at least when you're getting the program started. Go ask some of the other team people at BU, BC, or MIT for example.

And good luck, it's a worthy and fun endeavor.

Anyway, lots of questions implicit in your situation, hope this of a little help. I've been away from the Charles for almost 40 years, so there may be some newer stuff I don't know about.

Last edited by nolatom; 04-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBTreasurer26 View Post
This is the student-run UMASS Boston Boating Club to bring waterfront recreation to the students of UMASS with sailing (free lessons, excursions, racing), kayaking, paddle-boarding, and wind surfing.
Umass Boston Boating Club - University - Boston, MA | Facebook

Also, I would like to know if anyone in the Boston area could help us seek outside angel investors that have an interest in advertising on our sail (tax write-offs are available if this avenue is chosen.) I am very enthusiastic about this program, we have a lot of students that are interested in sailing with only two working sail boats and two kayaks that aren't even ours. Please help! Donations are greatly appreciated whether in form of knowledge or information regarding funding this up in coming team.

Thank You,
Matt
UMass Boston Sailing Club Treasurer.
Matt,

what are you looking to do that is different than what is available already;

Waterfront Recreation Program - University of Massachusetts Boston

An existing program, with docks, boats in the water, and professional staff that is free to students, would seem hard to compete with.

Tags
in need of help , knowledge seeking! , sailing club , umass boston