Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I have kinda waned in my enthusiasm once they got away from the 12 meter boats years ago. I wish they would give them all the same boat. A high performance one and let them go at it. Corporate sponsors would still go for that.

Dave
I agree. In our Frostbite series, there was a fleet of J-24's owned by the sailing school. Every week you sailed a different one so that money wasn't object. Some boats had worse sails than others, some were set up differently, some were newer, etc. It all evens out if everyone sails each boat during the series.

I think the AC should decide on a boat design and and basic electronics from a mutually agreed upon vendor. To participate, you need to get your own sponsorship or put in your own $ for a minimum amount to play. You can raise more money for crew, extra spare parts, etc.

Once you raise/pay a certain amount, you get to buy an equipped boat with the required sails. Sails would be made to spec and each boat would get the same number of sails and the frequency of new sails would be defined. Each boat gets the individual's sponsors listed. Only added stuff for each skipper would be boat color, name, and additional stuff that they want (weight). They can't substract stuff from the boat.

Then it would be a true skipper versus skipper race or at least more "fair". You still need $$$$ to play though, so it still is a rich man's race.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by DrB; 04-18-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: America's Cup - anyone else interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I am interested, but haven't seen any racing yet. I'll surely watch the eliminations and finals.
Here is a link to You tube coverage of the of the final day in Naples.
What will make this Cup different is not only the technology of the multi hulls, but the technology used to show the race. I'm not into technology for the sake of technology, but I think it is well used in this case, and will make the AC much more understandable and enjoyable for the masses. But then...I seem to be the only one who thought the TV tracer on hockey pucks was a good idea!
Old 04-18-2012

bobber is on a distinguished road
America's Cup - anyone else interested?

I saw the AC45 coverage on TV from San Diego last November. It was sleep inducing. On the other hand, I saw the Oracle AC45s practicing on SF Bay while I was sailing last fall and it was pretty amazing. The speeds they attain are impressive.
Old 04-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

AC World Series will be in Newport at the end of June. Cats doing 45 knots up East Passage is worth seeing. Not a huge fan of modern AC, but have to watch when it's right there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-18-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

We used to watch the Americas Cup Races off Newport, before we managed to lose it. They looked like sailboats. The 12 meter hulls were essentially one-designs and small "secret" design advantages were contested. Captain and crew made the real difference. I have no interest whatsoever watching the current fleet of multi-hulled, graphite-laminated technological marvels with corporate logos plastered from stem to stern. They're too far away anyway
Old 04-19-2012

I say - back to the dark ages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
We used to watch the Americas Cup Races off Newport, before we managed to lose it. They looked like sailboats. The 12 meter hulls were essentially one-designs and small "secret" design advantages were contested. Captain and crew made the real difference. I have no interest whatsoever watching the current fleet of multi-hulled, graphite-laminated technological marvels with corporate logos plastered from stem to stern. They're too far away anyway
So....should we go back to square riggers? Do you think the owner of "America" wouldn't have used carbon fiber if he had it?
Too far away? Did you see the AC world series in San Diego or Naples? Both were sailed in bays. SF will be an unbelievable venue. I took shots with a meduim lens from shore during the Alingi/Oracle (mono hull) challenge where you can see all of the crews feet during a tack! How close is that! Life and technology moves on. The key points for me are that these cats take an amazing amount of athleticism to sail, are exciting (unlike Newport IMO), and are still powered only by the wind.
Old 04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I saw the AC45 coverage on TV from San Diego last November. It was sleep inducing. On the other hand, I saw the Oracle AC45s practicing on SF Bay while I was sailing last fall and it was pretty amazing. The speeds they attain are impressive.
Sleep inducing? How would the mono hulls have faired in 8 knots of wind? At least the cats were moving! There was also some exciting racing IMO.
Old 04-19-2012
Cherp

Cherp is on a distinguished road

Changed my mind. Just watched it on the link. Plenty of razzle dazzle there. Quite exciting.
Old 04-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm told that NBC will broadcast the Newport AC World Series this year. If you get some pitchpoling, crew tossed in the water, etc, there might be hope for the viewership. Many viewers watch for the crash.

However, even with high winds, I don't see waves high enough in East Passage to cause trouble. You will easily see this race from shore. The course, I'm told, will be between Castle Hill and the bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-19-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: I say - back to the dark ages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
So....should we go back to square riggers? Do you think the owner of "America" wouldn't have used carbon fiber if he had it?
Too far away? Did you see the AC world series in San Diego or Naples? Both were sailed in bays. SF will be an unbelievable venue. I took shots with a meduim lens from shore during the Alingi/Oracle (mono hull) challenge where you can see all of the crews feet during a tack! How close is that! Life and technology moves on. The key points for me are that these cats take an amazing amount of athleticism to sail, are exciting (unlike Newport IMO), and are still powered only by the wind.
I'll think these boats are great as soon as someone brings the Americas Cup back to Newport.