America's Cup - anyone else interested? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 04-22-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
L124C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,400
Thanks: 51
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: America's Cup - anyone else interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I watched the races in Naples on YouTube. The boats, graphics, production value, and technology is absolutely awesome - but the racing just isn't that exciting.
But then...some of us have higher thresholds for excitement than others Smack!
Attached Thumbnails
Smack%20Daddy's%20new%20avatar[1].jpg  
L124C is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 37 Old 04-22-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,039
Thanks: 46
Thanked 224 Times in 209 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Re: America's Cup - anyone else interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
And THOSE are the trainers! Wait till they bring out the big guns later this year!
What is that all about anyway? Prelim races on a 45 and the AC on a 72? If I'm not mistaken, the 72s won't ever race until the event itself.

I will say that if they get a routine going of pitchpoling these things in most races, viewership will return. People like a good wreck. Almost as good, crew being blown or thrown off the boat and recovered by chase boats. It's like a skier wiping out and still getting up.

However, these are not what the AC is about. It will be interesting to see if they even care about viewership. The wealthy competitors don't, IMHO. Never did. Its more personal.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #33 of 37 Old 04-22-2012
Nearly an Old Salt
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 264
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: America's Cup - anyone else interested?

The Volvo Ocean Race is much more interesting
goboatingnow is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #34 of 37 Old 04-22-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
L124C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,400
Thanks: 51
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
In Newport July 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm told that NBC will broadcast the Newport AC World Series this year. If you get some pitchpoling, crew tossed in the water, etc, there might be hope for the viewership. Many viewers watch for the crash.

However, even with high winds, I don't see waves high enough in East Passage to cause trouble. You will easily see this race from shore. The course, I'm told, will be between Castle Hill and the bridge.
NBC will be taking over the coverage as of July 1 in Newport. Here is the scheule:America's Cup | North America
Not sure why they are only racing one day in Newport, but I'm sure the website explains it somewhere.
L124C is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #35 of 37 Old 04-22-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
L124C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,400
Thanks: 51
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
I think they are trying to break the "routine"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
What is that all about anyway? Prelim races on a 45 and the AC on a 72? If I'm not mistaken, the 72s won't ever race until the event itself.
I will say that if they get a routine going of pitchpoling these things in most races, viewership will return. People like a good wreck. Almost as good, crew being blown or thrown off the boat and recovered by chase boats. It's like a skier wiping out and still getting up.
However, these are not what the AC is about. It will be interesting to see if they even care about viewership. The wealthy competitors don't, IMHO. Never did. Its more personal.
According to the AC site, the 72's will be used for the Louis Vuitton Cup, 04 July – 1 September 2013 and America’s Cup Match (Finals): 7-22 September 2013. Both in SF
I can assure you they are training to AVOID pitch poling. If you've seen the video of Coutts falling through the wing of a 45 in SF, you know it's no joke. He gave up the helm position shortly thereafter. Coincidence?
Obviously, pitchpoling a 72 could be catastrophic. A fall from the upended hull alone could be over 5 stories (IF the sailor is lucky enough to hit the water)!

Last edited by L124C; 04-22-2012 at 01:01 PM.
L124C is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #36 of 37 Old 04-22-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,039
Thanks: 46
Thanked 224 Times in 209 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Re: In Newport July 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
NBC will be taking over the coverage as of July 1 in Newport. Here is the scheule:America's Cup | North America
Not sure why they are only racing one day in Newport, but I'm sure the website explains it somewhere.
I believe the finals are being televised on the 1st, but the races will be going on the entire week prior.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #37 of 37 Old 04-22-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,039
Thanks: 46
Thanked 224 Times in 209 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Re: I think they are trying to break the "routine"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
According to the AC site, the 72's will be used for the Louis Vuitton Cup, 04 July – 1 September 2013 and America’s Cup Match (Finals): 7-22 September 2013. Both in SF
I can assure you they are training to AVOID pitch poling. If you've seen the video of Coutts falling through the wing of a 45 in SF, you know it's no joke. He gave up the helm position shortly thereafter. Coincidence?
Obviously, pitchpoling a 72 could be catastrophic. A fall from the upended hull alone could be over 5 stories (IF the sailor is lucky enough to hit the water)!
I'm sure they are training to avoid accidents, I would.

However, no one in Nascar gave up the helm after Earnhart hit the wall. I'm not a Nascar fan, but I'm just saying there is an attraction to danger.

I still don't get the switch from 45s to 72s. For all practical purposes, they trained all year on a different boat that will have little relevance to the big show. They will jump aboard the new ship and race it for the last two months of the season.

Is it money? They do damage the 45s often. That would be interesting, if even these guys are on a budget.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello to anyone interested. old-sailer Introduce Yourself 5 10-04-2011 11:18 PM
For those interested PBzeer Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 21 06-19-2007 11:18 PM
America's Cup Semi-Finals and America's Cup NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 1 05-16-2007 02:25 PM
Would anyone be interested in.. Fearless General Discussion (sailing related) 14 02-16-2007 11:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome