Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
America's Cup - anyone else interested?

I went to a open house at a SF Bay Area Yacht Club on Sunday, assuming they would be showing the Naples AC series. Not only were they not showing the races on their big screen, they didn't even have the Comcast Channel the AC is shown is on. though they had 150 other channels, four of which were Comcast. One of the members said "right now, we are into Baseball". I laughed and replied, "I am in a Yacht Club aren't I?" The Commandant didn't even know the Naples series was on and said "We are interested in the AC. In fact, the AC officials are scheduled to come here to discuss the Cup coming to San Francisco." I said, "well thats great, but I would think a yacht club would be interested in the preliminaries, and would be anxious to promote the sport, especially given the new technology". It was like going into a sports bar that wasn't showing play off games!
I know a lot of sailors resent the Cup because it's a rich mans game, and that issue has been discussed at length in other threads.
Is your yacht club following the AC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: America's Cup - anyone else interested?

I ,love any race...even NASCAR ( I have driven on of their cars at 180 mph on Charlotte Motor Speedway)

I have kinda waned in my enthusiasm once they got away from the 12 meter boats years ago. I wish they would give them all the same boat. A high performance one and let them go at it. Corporate sponsors would still go for that.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-18-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

I am interested, but haven't seen any racing yet. I'll surely watch the eliminations and finals.
Old 04-18-2012

byrsch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I ,love any race...even NASCAR ( I have driven on of their cars at 180 mph on Charlotte Motor Speedway)

I have kinda waned in my enthusiasm once they got away from the 12 meter boats years ago. I wish they would give them all the same boat. A high performance one and let them go at it. Corporate sponsors would still go for that.

Dave
I agree, let it be about sailing ability not technology.
Old 04-18-2012
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald

I went into the Yacht Club years ago to see tha Cup on display. The Club members were wathing the trials and cheering against Dennis Connor (representing their club) and for the womwen's boat.
Old 04-18-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

I don't blame the YC members. AC is not the same and many have lost interest, myself included. I won't be watching it.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 04-18-2012

Rick486 is on a distinguished road

The America's Cup is just another traditional pursuit that has been completely destroyed by the infusion of huge money. In the modern era it was an interesting, exciting one design racing series. There was money in it required to design and build the 12 meter yachts but it was relatively small money in comparison, raised primarily from individuals and wealthy benefactors. The only corporate money I remember was from sailmakers, who are poor to begin with. It was exciting international competition that we as sailors could relate to. I remember sailing my 30 ft and 39 ft boats in Narragansett Bay against 12 meters (they didn't know :-). It was something. Then the road to hell began with Dennis Conner and the first catamaran. Now it's just a big money spectacle that ordinary one design sailors like myself can't relate to at all. I'd rather be working on my own boat or sailing her than watch anything to do with the current AC. So, no I won't be watching.
chef2sail and smurphny like this.
Old 04-18-2012
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road

I dig it!!! This has always been a rich mans race and leading edge technology. Very cool.
Old 04-18-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Infusion of money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick486 View Post
The America's Cup is just another traditional pursuit that has been completely destroyed by the infusion of huge money. In the modern era it was an interesting, exciting one design racing series. There was money in it required to design and build the 12 meter yachts but it was relatively small money in comparison, raised primarily from individuals and wealthy benefactors.
Didn't want to turn this into another "defend the Cup" thread, but this big money argument always amuses me. "America", the first winner of the cup was 101 feet long , 140 tons and had a professional crew some rich guy paid to sail her (picture below). She had cutting edge technology for the day, and the race was intended to prove it. It's always been a rich mans pi**ing match! On the other hand, it has also pushed the threshold of technology in sailing, and Ellison's effort is probably the best example. I love and have crewed in the Master Mariners Regatta, a celebration of the great wooden boats of yesteryear. However, I am also excited by the speed obtained under sail (and wing) and athleticism required to sail this new technology. Lets face it - seeing several 13 story rigs moving at 40 to 50 knots in a venue like the SF Bay is going to be something to behold. I think it will make sailing more interesting to the general public. If not, nothing will! I hope sailors (and certainly Yacht Clubs!) will embrace it.
Attached Thumbnails
America's Cup - anyone else interested?-300px-americas_cup_yacht_america.jpg  
WanderingStar likes this.

Last edited by L124C; 04-18-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Despite my dismay over the multihulls taking over the Cup due to their speed, I did find myself glued to my laptop (the only way I could view it) during the last race.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.