SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Wow! Them's expensive slips!! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86359-wow-thems-expensive-slips.html)

Silvio 04-17-2012 08:41 PM

Wow! Them's expensive slips!!

Holy crap Florida, what is with the transient dock rates in and around Miami?! $3.50/ft $4.00/ft up to $4.50/ft for a transient? wth? Man did I ever get spoiled in north Florida. $1.00/ft to $1.50/ft seemed the norm around Pensacola and Panama City.

I will be stopping at Biscayne in May to pick up a hand who is flying in, glad I have a couple of good anchors and trusty dink 'cause I am too cheap to pay those rates.:laugher:laugher

sailor1950 04-17-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Wow! Them's expensive slips!!

sounds like the chesapeake bay. prices are the same here

Silvio 04-17-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor1950 (Post 859870)

Since I am headed for the Chesapeake, I don't know that I feel any better knowing that. :)

Although I won't be transient once I get there. Been looking at a slip in Kent Narrows, looks like a nice place to keep the boat.

ftldiver 04-17-2012 10:15 PM

you might try a mooring ball at the crandon marina on key biscayne. or try the coconut grove sailing club anchorage. -24 hour skiff service.

CGSC Moorings & Storage

coconut grove has better stores in walking distance.

T37SOLARE 04-17-2012 10:38 PM

Kent Narrows = lots of current, shoaling & and a steady flow of ignorant power boaters....

Personally I'd look elsewhere, but if the price fits, go for it. OTOH, it's a great location with close access to some of the best cruising grounds on the bay.

Silvio 04-17-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ftldiver (Post 859922)
you might try a mooring ball at the crandon marina on key biscayne. or try the coconut grove sailing club anchorage. -24 hour skiff service.

CGSC Moorings & Storage

coconut grove has better stores in walking distance.

Hey Thanks for the tip! I will look into both. I can't help myself but be cheap:)
$100--$150 a night for a slip just kills me. At those rates I would be tempted to stay exactly 24 hours just to get the best rate per hour out of it.

DRFerron 04-17-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor1950 (Post 859870)

Yowsa. Not in my experience. At least not above the middle Bay.

chef2sail 04-17-2012 11:51 PM

Slips are cheaper than that above the bridge. Kent Narrows is as said...shoal, nice side of the Bay, but bridge traffic on Fridays is a bitch.

I would look at west/ rhode river. Annapolis is pricy.

4-5 a foot inNew England and LI Sound is a norm though

We usually anchor up there or take a mooring.

dave

creedence623 04-18-2012 02:33 AM

It occurred to me when I bought my generator that the cost would be completely offset after only 8 nights at anchor or on a mooring as opposed to in a marina. Pretty crazy, but the transient fees in FL certainly make anchoring a lot more attractive.

Having said that, cities like ST Petersburg are now restricting rights to free anchoring and instead charging $15 a night for a ball in their mooring fields. I don't really have a huge problem coughing up the $15, but I'm not thrilled that they are eliminating or at the very least restricting what has, for all intents and purposes, been free since the inception of yachting.

Florida is such great boating territory, I guess the government figures it's time to capitalize on it. Oh well, pay to play I guess.

Cruiser2B 04-18-2012 03:59 AM

I have sail and inquired at quite a few places on the Ches. I dont think you'll pay more the 1.50-2.00ft. at least in my experiences. Bay Point marina for example on the southern Ches is 1.50ft and i paid 1.50ft with showers and electricity in Cape Charles last fall.