Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Not Sure Wich Winch to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Also, to clarify Profin's comment,
Thanks Jeff - you're right as rain (as usual )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The older C&Cs had significant sheer, and sometimes when the jib lead block was fully forward for a small jib the lead back to the winch would be a bit too flat, leading to increased overrides.

On the vid that Denise posted you can see a turning block at the aft end of the track just in front of the winch. This is a good way to keep your sheet lead to the winch consistent regardless of the actual jib car position on the track. Our sheets go through a rail mounted snatch block for similar reasons, and also to avoid chafing the port side coaming and cabinside (since the sheet must lead to the inboard edge of the drum.. another common issue on plenty of boats)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-18-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road

first, you only need ONE wrap around a self tailing winch for it to work. remember you are pulling on the tail in the top of the winch.. multi wraps will over-ride, and cause havoc when tacing fast..
your block or car for the sheet should be adjusted for the sail trim.. move it forward for a fat shape in lite air and further back when trimming..
the design you have on your boat is flawless and proven, dont try to change anything, might get someone with some experance to show you the ropes, (so to speak)
Old 04-18-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyonR3 View Post
first, you only need ONE wrap around a self tailing winch for it to work. remember you are pulling on the tail in the top of the winch....
You have to be kidding? With one wrap on a winch you will never even get the tail into the selftailer, because the sail's load will have taken the sheet completely out of your hands.

You need at least three turns for a winch to carry a load, four or more for smaller lines. You will never get a sheet trimmed with one turn on a winch. I guess, possibly, if you put one turn on and set the tail in the selftailer before any load gets on thee sheet, maybe the selftailer will hold a single turn on a winch (but I greatly doubt it..), however you'd be making the slowest tack in town by a mile.

PS - OP, are you getting overrides before you have the sheet trinmed as far as you can by hand? If so, you may have too many turns initially, you should have only 1-2 turns when first trimming by hand, when the sheet load builds add additional turns, set ithe tail into the self tailer and start cranking...

Last edited by sailingfool; 04-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Just to pile on here:

They may have been removed at some point by a PO, but may be hiding someplace on the boat.

See if you can find something that looks something like this:

It slides along the T-track, allowing you to fine tune the shape of your foresail at different points of sail.
Here is what was in the box of pullys and stuff

Any idea what this might be for??
Old 04-18-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Looking at your photos it looks like you should be able to run your sheets directly from the sail, to the sheet lead block on the track and up to the winch. I found some photos of C&C 35-1's racing and that is how they are rigged (see picture below).

Also, to clarify Profin's comment, in U.S. parlance the forward block on the track, which the jib sheet is first led to is a jib sheet lead block. If there is a second block that redirects the jib sheet, that is a turning block. It does not appear that the C&C 35-1 uses turning blocks, just sheet lead blocks.

Jeff

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
That make sence
Old 04-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

My winches are more forward then yours so I've put the Jib turning block behind the winch for the Genoa and move them way forward for the working jib. Also any block with a turn of more then 90 degrees will reduce the "effort" for pulling or even for winching. The cam cleat you see holding the traveler line is really for when I single hand the jib sheets.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2012
First String

I will be sailing by my self. the PO was a singlehanded racer. I will use the track with a pully for the sheets?
see the photo.[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 04-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The main halyard is hooked to a sliding eye for storage only.. but that's where you might put one of those blocks, using one of the springs to hold it upright.. although in your earlier pics of hardware I don't see a real, proper genoa car. But in your bag of tricks you may find a single sheave block with a swivel shackle, around which the springs would fit to hold the block upright. Attach that to the sliding eye currently shown with the halyard stowed on it.

The tracks should/would look like this; a more common style of jib/genoa car is the next image

Winches marked 'jib winch?' is your main headsail sheeting winch, usually called the "primary".

The aft facing clutch on the coaming is a bit of a mystery (maybe backstay adjuster? -it looks like you've got a backstay tensioner on the split, but it's not going anywhere) It (the clutch) is facing the wrong way for any jib sheet action.

The winch marked Main sheet winch? would be for the various lines that are supposed to be led aft through the clutches - likely all your halyards and perhaps some reeflines, vang, cunningham etc. Similar setup both sides of the hatch, I imagine.

This boat was obviously well looked after at some point, and pretty well rigged and equipped. You really hit a bit of a gold mine here. I hope you're able to put the big picture together soon.

Here's a shot of our boat, you can't see the jib car lead but you can see the sheet run down towards it, aft to the block on the toerail, and then up to the winch on the coaming.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-19-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Your jibsheet car that the main halyard is clipped to, should have a block on it like this:
You feed your jib sheet through that and onto the winch.
The winches on the cabin are going to be for halyards and anything else that gets led through the clutches up there. Maybe spin sheets too.
The clutch behind the main winch, wouldn't think that was for the jib sheet, more likely for furling line, downhaul or something like that perhaps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.