Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Not Sure Wich Winch to use

Ah, what Faster said
The clutch behind the winch, just on one side or both sides? Could be a convenient way of adjusting a dingy painter perhaps?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Are you running your sheets direct from the sail to the winch? They are supposed to go to a block that sildes on the track on deck and then UP at at least a 5 deg angle onto the drum. The video still on the post above shows the sheet going down from the drum, into a block, the forward to the trim block and then up to the sail.

Otherwise 'overrides' will never go away.
You are right I was trying to go straight to the drum because coming off a snatch block on the toe rail it was getting stuck. I will try to use the track and see if it works better...
Old 04-19-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Your jibsheet car that the main halyard is clipped to, should have a block on it like this:
You feed your jib sheet through that and onto the winch.
The winches on the cabin are going to be for halyards and anything else that gets led through the clutches up there. Maybe spin sheets too.
The clutch behind the main winch, wouldn't think that was for the jib sheet, more likely for furling line, downhaul or something like that perhaps.
Every thing is hank on? no furled sails.
Old 04-19-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Ah, what Faster said
The clutch behind the winch, just on one side or both sides? Could be a convenient way of adjusting a dingy painter perhaps?
They'er 2 sets of three on top of the house in front of the winches. Then there a single clutch on both sides behind the winches at the helm.
Old 04-19-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyonR3 View Post
first, you only need ONE wrap around a self tailing winch for it to work. remember you are pulling on the tail in the top of the winch.. multi wraps will over-ride, and cause havoc when tacing fast..
your block or car for the sheet should be adjusted for the sail trim.. move it forward for a fat shape in lite air and further back when trimming..
the design you have on your boat is flawless and proven, dont try to change anything, might get someone with some experance to show you the ropes, (so to speak)
This is a great idea, the PO showed ne 22 different cup races he won with this PHRF boat. He has Alzheimer's disease now, But one thing he told me over and over is not to change the sailing layout. He said its a well oiled and proven single handed boat. I just canít take him out with me to show me how to run the rigging. Not to mention I'm new to the whole thing. But Its coming together now. I am beginning to slowly get the kinks out. I did make it on a 25 mile run last Sunday. But it is so great to have folks willing to share their knowledge with newbieís like me. This past weekend I never hooked to the track at all with a jib sheet. I only put a snatch block on the toe rail. This did not help. So this coming weekend I will go to the boat without taken her out and try to figure out the sheet, Blocks, tracks, and such.
Old 04-19-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
This is a great idea, the PO showed ne 22 different cup races he won with this PHRF boat. He has Alzheimer's disease now, But one thing he told me over and over is not to change the sailing layout. He said its a well oiled and proven single handed boat. I just canít take him out with me to show me how to run the rigging. Not to mention I'm new to the whole thing. But Its coming together now. I am beginning to slowly get the kinks out. I did make it on a 25 mile run last Sunday. But it is so great to have folks willing to share their knowledge with newbieís like me. This past weekend I never hooked to the track at all with a jib sheet. I only put a snatch block on the toe rail. This did not help. So this coming weekend I will go to the boat without taken her out and try to figure out the sheet, Blocks, tracks, and such.
The primary focus in positioning the genoa block on the track is to ensure that the jib is not twisted, i.e. the luff has the same angle to the wind from top to bottom.
The simple rule for finding the optimum position, is when sailing closehauled, luff slowly:
- if the top windward telltale lifts first, move the block forward,
- if the bottom lifts first, move the block aft,
- if they both lift at the same time, you are set.

From this proper position, you do some finetuning by moving the block slightly forward to power-up or slightly aft to de-power.
Old 04-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Here's a Utube vid I found on how/where to set the jib lead block on the track.. it's not too long and will help you 'see' what needs to be done. Also, FWIW, I always throw two wraps on the drum during hand tailing, add a third before feeding the sheet into the jaws of the self tailer and grinding in from there. The two wraps minimizes potential overrides during the 'loose spinning' phase early in the tack, the third wrap puts less load on the self tailer and makes it easier to control the sail during the release for the next tack.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-19-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
My winches are more forward then yours so I've put the Jib turning block behind the winch for the Genoa and move them way forward for the working jib. Also any block with a turn of more then 90 degrees will reduce the "effort" for pulling or even for winching. The cam cleat you see holding the traveler line is really for when I single hand the jib sheets.
Here is a better photo of the set up at the rear of the helm
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-19-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

That picture is a "what not to do". It explains your problem entirely. It is clear that you need to find yourself someone who actually knows about sailing and rigging boats to sail with you just for safety sake. That is not meant as a put down, we all had to start somewhere, but there are things in that picture which are dangerously wrong to do. I understand that the prior owner may have told you don't change the rig but he is probably talking about the tuning and lead positions. But clearly that boat is not properly rigged to be sailed, by which I mean, the hardware is there and the lines (ropes) are there but there are not run properly. At the very least you should try to find a rigger or sailmaker and offer to pay for an hour or so of their time to come down and run the running rigging properly and check its condition, and perhaps teach you how to properly set up the boat to go sailing.

In that vein, Starting in the foreground with the halyard that runs through the block at the base of the mast (I assume its your main halyard). Just forward of the scrub brush is a group of blocks bolted to the deck. These are a 'deck organizer' and the halyard should run from the block at the base of the mast, through the deck organizer and then back through the halyard locks just forward of the winch. The halyard locks are a form of a cleat that allows you to use the winch for multiple functions and provides a proper lead to the winch.

The Jib sheet appears to be led straight from the clew (corner) of the jib directly to the winch. Not only is that a problem with getting over rides but it provides the wrong angle between the jib sheet and the jib. This poor lead angle would prevent you from being able to go upwind properly. As mentioned there should be a sheet lead block on the track and the jib sheet should run from the clew of the sail, through the sheet lead block and then to the winch.

But also, you really need to get all the 'stuff' off the decks when you sail so it does not end up tripping someone or jambing a line.

Respectfully,
Jeff
jackdale likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You really do need to get hold of someone with experience willing to go out with you for an hour or two and set you straight on the basics.

It would be well worth the couple of hundred bucks it would cost to hire an instructor for the day to show you the systems. You've got a good boat with very good gear that just needs to be set up correctly. Otherwise I'm afraid someone's going to get hurt first.

Understand this is not a put-down.. you're new and you really need some help - I suspect much of the advice here on this thread is of limited use if only because you don't yet even understand the terminology.
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.