Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Not Sure Wich Winch to use

Looking at your picture, the item labeled "Jib winch?" is the jib sheet winch.

The item labeled "Mainsheet winch" is intended for the main halyard (the line that raises the sail) and for the Boom Vang, which is not rigged at the moment, and perhaps for the spinnacker sheets when racing.

The item labeled "What is this for? Is it for holding the Jib Sheet tight for sailing alone?" appears to be linestopper for the spinnaker sheet/guy. It is intended to be fed from the stern(Back of the boat). You have time for that one.

My best guess looking at the pile of stuff is that the previous owner used the white snatch blocks attached to the car on the track as his jibsheet lead block.

I am guessing that the three blocks with the red flecked- white line reeved through them is your boom vang which should use the same deck organizer as the main halyard and one of the three stoppers forward of the winch.
jackdale likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-19-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You really do need to get hold of someone with experience willing to go out with you for an hour or two and set you straight on the basics...
Faster ,

I agree with your advice 100%. Seeing the sheet lead in the post 28 picture is a stark reminder how what may seem basic can be not apparent when you are learning on the go.

An even better approach would be the full ASA 101 class, then the risks would be far more under control.
Old 04-19-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

I do thank all of you for your advice. I am seeking help from some local sailor friends. I am learning a great deal from this site as well. I do not take any affiance at all, I'm new to this sport and my sail on Sunday humbled me to no end. It was a windy day like 12 to 15 out of the south. We did o.k but, I could tell we were doing all kind things wrong. I could tell the running rigging had a problem getting stuck on the drum of the winch. We had 3 accidental jibes were the boom swung from one side to the other. I told my help on the main to center the boom and he did not. I think thatís what broke all the slugs off the main along the mast. Iím taking lessons right now. Well not really. I have tried around here for lesions but they donít have them here. They do have them in Charleston or Savannah but not here in Beaufort SC. So I will learn like many fine sailors before me. I will go slow, I will not take too many risk with weather and tide, I will ask for advice and I will ask for every sailor friend I can make to go sailing with me. I can do this. If all else fails I still have a great yanmay main sail to get me home.
Donít loose faith my friends , I can do this. And thanks again so much for your experience and willingness to share it with a new sailor wishing to learn the ropes without braking the boat.
Old 04-19-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You really do need to get hold of someone with experience willing to go out with you for an hour or two and set you straight on the basics.

It would be well worth the couple of hundred bucks it would cost to hire an instructor for the day to show you the systems. You've got a good boat with very good gear that just needs to be set up correctly. Otherwise I'm afraid someone's going to get hurt first.

Understand this is not a put-down.. you're new and you really need some help - I suspect much of the advice here on this thread is of limited use if only because you don't yet even understand the terminology.
I try to use this
Nautical Nomemclature
Old 04-19-2012
First String

Thanks so much for your help. Here is short of the Sunday trip.
Old 04-19-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Itgoshen your next weekend assignment is: Take more pictures of your rig. I would like to get a clearer picture of the area around your primary (cockpit) winches, the “T” track on your weather (“side”) decks, the winches and rope clutches on your coach roof, the base of your mast and some shots of your boom vang and mainsheet control. That way I can help you out a little bit better. On your next go pro video, try not to move around so much and wait a little before you pan to your next subject – I want to see how your sails are working without getting seasick on my keyboard.

From what I’ve seen (and what others have told you), you need to have a lead block between the jib and your winch. Also, you need to position the block so as you sight up the jibsheet, it intersects the headstay at its midpoint. The way you are set up now, this intersection is way too low and that is why the top of the jib is flopping around. Set this up correctly and you will be amazed at the improvement. Looking forward to future pictures and videos.
Faster and jackdale like this.
Old 04-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
I try to use this
Nautical Nomemclature
That's a start.. but not really inclusive and not detailed enough for most of what we're trying to tell/show you. But hang in there.. with all the advice you're getting now and a bit of personal on-board guidance all will become clear.
ltgoshen likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-19-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

Looking forward to future pictures and videos.
sorry for the sea sicknessHAhAh.
Take a look at this video start at 1.40 into it to see the mast bottom and house top.
maybe turn doun your speekers first Sorry

I will get petter photos This weekend

Last edited by Faster; 04-19-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 04-19-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

By the way I was wrong about my guess that the three blocks with the red flecked- white line reeved through them is your boom vang. The video shows a very nice rigid boom vang which does not appear to be set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-19-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
By the way I was wrong about my guess that the three blocks with the red flecked- white line reeved through them is your boom vang. The video shows a very nice rigid boom vang which does not appear to be set.
You will still need a vang to adjust the boom height. Check this video of another C&C 30 (25 seconds in). Actually it shows without running the video.

IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.