Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Prescription sunglasses for astigmatism

Maui Jim "Island Time" frames.
Old 04-19-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywalkerII View Post
Maui Jim

The first and last choice. You will love them.

I've had two pair, titanium frames, light, clear. Mine are progressive lenses to correct astigmatism and farsightedness.

Pricey but worth it.

Look for a local optometrist who is a dealer.

Skywalker
T27 249
Since you mentioned that you wanted wrap around frames, I just wanted to comment that for many with progressive lenses, wrap arounds are difficult if not impossible to do because the different strengths throughout the lenses aren't uniform, and vision to the side is often distorted. You may want to check that out carefully.

Just saying....

Old 04-19-2012

wretchedsailor is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

wretched-
" I have a fairly substantial astigmatism (-3.25 in each eye)"
At least in the US, astigmatism is measured by DEGREES, as in rotation of an axis. Your main visual correction is measured as a plus or minus diopter figure, and a -3.25 would mean you are somewhat nearsighted and probably can't see faces clearly at 25 feet. An rx of "-3.25 x 180" would indicate the same diopter required--but an astigmatic axis of 180 degrees. If your Rdx does not have the "x ###" after the diopter, you have not been given an astigmatic correction.

So are you absolutely SURE that rx is just for astigmatism??

That's got nothing to do with astigmatism, that's just called needing glasses.

There's no perfect solution, you simply need to TRY things and yes that will waste some money but that's the only way to find out what works for you. Sailing? Contact lenses can be great, they're nearly "air" these days and when fit properly, you can't feel them. There are limited options for correcting astigmatism on contacts though. Contact lenses also dont have any problem with salt spray or rain, you just use plain saline or lubricant drops if/as needed. OTOH sunglasses will get salt spray on them, and if you clean that off without fresh water and a clean cloth, you'll destroy plastic lenses pretty quickly. Glass lenses resist way better.

If you do get lenses made up for your Rx...sometimes you get what you pay for. Every year that "chains" are surveyed, they get rated for not getting accurate prescriptions compared to independent optometrist offices. And the independents often can match prices, if you just mention that you'd LIKE to do business with them, but the prices...

FWIW in the US lenses are only made to the nearest 1/4 (0.25) diopter, so a tolerance that is 1/8 off your exact rx is considered as good as it gets. The axis for the astigmatic correction depends not only on how the lenses are made--but also very much on how carfully they are fitted (rotated) in the frame. So there again, a fast chain shop often doesn't do it as well. I'm sure there are some that do--but the surveys say "not likely".

What do I wear? Sometimes contacts, sometimes glasses. On the longest brightest days? I'd rather wear contacts, because I've got some incredibly dark sunglasses I can use with them, that would mean too many pair$$ with an RX. And some that just can't bemade in an Rx at all, like gold-flashed glacier glasses, that block all IR and UV.

Last edited by hellosailor; 04-21-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2012
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

My first pair of prescription sunglasses were Oakley. Now I have a pair of Ray Ban. The oakley's were wrap around style, the RB I have now are not. I can see better with my RB than regular glasses and they're both the same prescription. If I remember right, I have -3.75 for each eye.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 04-19-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

I have had the oakleys for five years and love them. I have a slight astigmatism in one eye, not so bad as yours.
Old 04-19-2012

Bamazeb is on a distinguished road
Hellosailor thanks for clearing up the astgmatism deal. I used to work for a Contact Lens Mfr. I was kind of scratching my head about the -3.25 astigmatism (aka Toricity) too.

I had a buddy who got his lenses from the local dive shop. They make them for dive masks. He just puts those corrective lenses on his favorite non-prescription sunglasses. Says they work Great!!
Old 04-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Since you mentioned that you wanted wrap around frames, I just wanted to comment that for many with progressive lenses, wrap arounds are difficult if not impossible to do because the different strengths throughout the lenses aren't uniform, and vision to the side is often distorted. You may want to check that out carefully.-arknoah
Thats why I recommend the Rudy Projects, they are able to handle the different curvatures and lenses for me. They varied the matierial of my lenses to help allieviate this and it worked out perfectly,

They also use Carl Zeiss lenses.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-20-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Oakley all the way, a close face hugging frame. I've tried Rayban etc, but the lens curve always messes with straight lines, looking at a tile floor gives me a headache! I can't imagine sailing would be much easier than riding with them. The oakleys get my vote, either replaceable lenses(flak jacket with the larger lens) or the full framed ones.
A good glasses shop will have a book with Oakley's specs, and send them away for the lensmaking to Oakley. Part of that spec is the curvature, and the maximum prescriptions. I have some astigmatism, and 2.25 Rx. I was still able to find a suitable and comfortable frame.
Old 04-20-2012

rmeador is on a distinguished road

I have Rudy Project sunglasses and absolutely love them. They were pricey, but that's what FSA accounts are for. Rudy Project makes at least one set of frames specifically for sailing (they float, among other features). I have perfect vision all the way around -- far more peripheral vision than I do with my regular glasses. Regardless of what brand you go with, be sure to get a polarized lens, not just a tinted one ( and you'll probably want some anti-glare, anti-scratch, etc coatings).