SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Prescription sunglasses for astigmatism (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86398-prescription-sunglasses-astigmatism.html)

wretchedsailor 04-18-2012 07:41 PM

Prescription sunglasses for astigmatism

Hey out there- I've been trying to figure out my vision solution for a while now and thought I'd put it out into the ether. I have a fairly substantial astigmatism (-3.25 in each eye) and am trying to find some good prescription sunglasses that will work for me. I really want some wrap around type and I want to stay away from the Rx insert variety. Contacts don't work well for me as my eyes don't produce enough tears. And no, I'm not going to get Lasik. Anyone with any suggestions. Thanks.

jackdale 04-18-2012 07:51 PM

Re: Prescription sunglasses for astigmatism

Be aware that photochromic lenses are not a good idea at night.

Photochromic lenses ... should not be worn for lookout duties at night

wretchedsailor 04-18-2012 07:55 PM

Yep. I'm just looking for prescription sunglasses towear during the day

SkywalkerII 04-18-2012 08:00 PM

Maui Jim

The first and last choice. You will love them.

I've had two pair, titanium frames, light, clear. Mine are progressive lenses to correct astigmatism and farsightedness.

Pricey but worth it.

Look for a local optometrist who is a dealer.

Skywalker
T27 249

irmedic 04-18-2012 08:02 PM

I've been using prescription Oakley for a few years now, they're awesome. With the wraps you can read signs in the peripheral vision space. Heck I like them so much all my frames are Oakley. Also they last forever. My flack jackets feel so good I wear them while the sun is going down with great visibility.

I just replaced my everyday frames by getting fitted at Oakley and then ordering the frames off ebay (saved $275), then had them direct shipped to the local shop and had them fit the lenses (prism, etc). I had them done in 7 days end to end. They will last twice as long as any other frame in the low end.

I would never wear inserts, but would like to go for surgery one day when they just run a tricorder over you and you're fixed.

I have no affiliation with Oakley. As said Maui Jim's might be an option as well. They're not as common up here in the colonies.

chef2sail 04-18-2012 09:01 PM

Rudy Project all the way-Ekynox SX

Lifetime warrenty on the frame Replaceable nose pieces and ear pieces just snap in, No
outside light gets in

Built on the success of the Rudy Project Ekynox sunglass, the new SX has been designed with smaller faces in mind, incorporating geometric cubic styling for an unsurpasses fit factor and a hip contemporary look. Using Rudy Project's core platform technologies like adjustable 360 temples, adjustable ergonose, Quick Change interchangeable lenses, optional RX-ability, optional elastic strap, the Ekynox SX is sure to be the definitive piece of equipment to enhance performance while offering cutting-edge style. Features:

Rudy Project Ekynox Sx Black Gloss With Smoke Black Lenses

Rudy Project Sunglasses, Helmets and Goggles - Leader in Cycling Sunglasses, Golf Sunglasses, Running Sunglasses and Prescription Sport Sunglasses

T37Chef 04-18-2012 09:54 PM

Maui Jim's 100% There are without a doubt the best sun glasses you can buy, prescription or not. I have been wearing MJ's for years, so has my wife, but she just got her first pair of MJ Prescriptions at Lens Crafters (using some left over $$ from our Flex Spend Account :) ) She loves them, even more than her regular MJ's

See here Search results for: 'prescription'

You might try Costco for the prescriptions as well, probably cheaper?

TQA 04-18-2012 10:13 PM

Polaroids are the way to go if you need to "read the water". Mine came from Walmart and I am happy with them.

I have severe astigmatism as well.

travlineasy 04-18-2012 10:20 PM

I had a severe astigmatism plus cataracts. I had a surgical procedure performed, lens implants with special, soft lenses that were to completely correct the problems. My vision is now much worse than it was prior to the surgery. In a couple weeks I'll have to make another decision about having another surgical procedure performed to correct the screw-ups. Not only has this cost me in excess of $4,000, but it cost me so much more. AVOID THE SURGERY LIKE THE PLAGUE-NO MATTER WHAT THE DOCTORS TELL YOU!

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

OasisII 04-19-2012 11:43 AM

Prescription sunglasses for astigmatism

I've got severe astigmatism as well: +5.25 in one eye. The other just slight. Been using Nike wrap arounds for 5 years. Local shop fitted the lenses. Love'em. Previously had Oakley, but the high end lens shop at that time told me that their lens people lost money trying to get the screwy prescription in the wrap. They wouldn't do a new scrip. Current place doesn't have a problem