Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing a slip at the Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Why?

Looking at the picture, I don't see a need for them. Looks to me like he's well protected, deep in a marina, no tides to affect dock lines, plenty of room to get in/out....I just don't see a need for the lines....unless there's an unknown factor in his situation that would call for them.
What is preventing the boat to surge forward, bow into the pier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

I don't think spring lines are needed under the current circumstances, but they will be added, I already have the lines and just have to "weave" (or whatever it's called in English) the loops at the ends.

90% of boats on this dock do not have them; and the coupe that do, only have forward spring lines, I figure these larger boats use them to stop their trust when docking.
Me personally like to sleep at night with no worries on my mind, so they will be added..

Thank you for noticing !!!
Old 04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Wow, you have huge slips there.
No, the boat is tiny
Old 04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
The Skipper.....

No, seriously, on the port side the boat is about a foot from the dock, having much shorter lines on the port side is preventing/restricting the longitudinal movement. For now, like I said before spring lines will be added and the boat will be left on the center of the slip.

Last edited by sevseasail; 04-26-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
The aft dock lines?

Looks like the boat has 4 lines tied to her...2 bow and 2 stern....just like mine...and it's not going anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 04-26-2012

Quote:
The aft dock lines?

Looks like the boat has 4 lines tied to her...2 bow and 2 stern....just like mine...and it's not going anywhere.
What is a spring line, and how do I tie it?
Spring Lines diagram - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 04-27-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

Thanks but I don't need a lesson in spring lines. I know what they're for and how to use them.

My point is his lack of need for them in his situation, and questioning why you recommended them. 4 dock line, 2 fore and 2 aft, are sufficient for deep inside a sheltered marina. A boat doesn't need 8 dock lines in that environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 04-27-2012

Quote:
Thanks but I don't need a lesson in spring lines. I know what they're for and how to use them.

My point is his lack of need for them in his situation, and questioning why you recommended them. 4 dock line, 2 fore and 2 aft, are sufficient for deep inside a sheltered marina. A boat doesn't need 8 dock lines in that environment.
I am not sure if you know what spring lines are for. They prevent movement of the boat for and aft. Bow lines and stern lines are to prevent boats to move laterally. Remember that lines ONLY exert force along their long axis (you cannot push a rope). Of course, a bow line can have a fore-aft component but that is not what it is for and it is poor seamanship to rely on it.

I don't know the exact circumstances in that marina are but even if it is sheltered from the elements, I don't know how you can be sure that there are no waves from passing boats. I strongly feel that at least one after spring is needed to prevent the boat hitting the dock with the bow.
Old 04-27-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

Rest assured that I do.

Every marina I've ever seen or been to is a "no wake zone" and they all have some sort of protection from the outer elements. Passing boat wakes are not a factor...usually....

Before I moved across the lake to another marina, my marina was at the back of a long slough and in a cove. The whole slough was a "no wake zone". This yo-yo comes into the marina, plowing, a giant bow wave and huge wake behind him. As the giant wake moved through the marina, it tossed boats about fairly violently and caused alot of movement of the docks. This jackass must have done this all the way down the slough, because the Lake Patrol was waiting for him. After watching the spectacle for a half hour or so....they had him, his family (obnoxious lot and he was being a loud jerk), big ass boat, trailer and giant SUV...over to the side, the local police showed up and were giving him a field sobriety test.

I had to leave and didn't get to see the outcome, but I'm sure his day didn't end well and cost some serious $$$$. Fine with me...inconsiderate jerk. There are side to side, million dollar lake homes all down the slough...one dude even has a Hughes 500 on the roof of his boat house...and none of those folks appreciate their toys being tossed about by a big boat wake. (Eagle Mountain Lake is where Fort Worth money goes to play)

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 04-27-2012

Wink Re: Choosing a slip at the Marina

Quote:
Rest assured that I do.

Every marina I've ever seen or been to is a "no wake zone" and they all have some sort of protection from the outer elements. Passing boat wakes are not a factor...usually....

Before I moved across the lake to another marina, my marina was at the back of a long slough and in a cove. The whole slough was a "no wake zone". This yo-yo comes into the marina, plowing, a giant bow wave and huge wake behind him. As the giant wake moved through the marina, it tossed boats about fairly violently and caused alot of movement of the docks. This jackass must have done this all the way down the slough, because the Lake Patrol was waiting for him. After watching the spectacle for a half hour or so....they had him, his family (obnoxious lot and he was being a loud jerk), big ass boat, trailer and giant SUV...over to the side, the local police showed up and were giving him a field sobriety test.

I had to leave and didn't get to see the outcome, but I'm sure his day didn't end well and cost some serious $$$$. Fine with me...inconsiderate jerk. There are side to side, million dollar lake homes all down the slough...one dude even has a Hughes 500 on the roof of his boat house...and none of those folks appreciate their toys being tossed about by a big boat wake. (Eagle Mountain Lake is where Fort Worth money goes to play)
Well, you make may case pretty nicely Police is not always there and if this jerk, or one of his friends, comes by, I would want to make sure that his bow wave does not ram my boat into the pier. That's what an after spring is for...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.